• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Event: 1st Open Holster Day in Annapolis, to protest Maryland’s lack of “Shall Issue” for law abiding citizens.

When: August 1st, 2009 (Time 12 Noon until 6:00pm)

Purpose: To have a large, completely peaceful and unarmed gathering of supporters of “Shall Issue” laws in Maryland. We will be wearing empty holsters in protest of the current “Discretionary Issue” system that sees Handgun Carry Permits issued only to those politically connected or dealing in extraordinarily large amounts of physical cash or the occasional person who can meet the impossibly high burden of proof needed to receive one for self defense.

How to Participate: This is a completely grass-roots event. There will be no formal meeting place. (SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE) The intent is to have a nice day with the family and friends in Annapolis, shopping, eating and sight seeing while wearing, in plain sight, an empty holster. You will know others participating in the protest by their open holsters. Stop, introduce yourself and make a new friend. We will provide a flyer that you can hand out to anyone curious as to why you carry an empty holster.

Basic Safety Rules: All holsters must remain empty at all times. Do not put toy guns, training guns or the like in your holster. We want to emphasize the emptiness of the holsters and our lack of protection. We do not want any misunderstanding with local officials (See below). The holster will simply be a fashion accessory, symbolizing our vulnerability to criminals.

Getting the Word Out: Letters will be sent to local Law Enforcement Agencies notifying them of the event and to presence of our empty holsters. Additional notification will be sent to the Governor, the Attorney General and select Legislators.

Long Term: We intend to have additional Open Holster days, in Annapolis and other areas in Maryland. The plan is to build on each Open Holster day, gathering more protesters to join us next Spring, during the Legislative session, to take the protest to the next “Shall Issue" bill hearing. Join us, make friends and help the movement to get Shall Issue Conceal Carry in Maryland.

I plan to be at the end of Main Street @ the Docks from 12 till 1 or so. Please stop by and introduce yourself. I will take pictures of the empty holsters so we can send them to our legislators during the next session!

Come and Join Us!
    Bring Your Family

Last edited:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Open Holster Day Brochure is here!

This is a bi-fold brochure, the ends fold into the middle. When printing, make sure the front and back orientation is correct, each copier handles it in different ways.

You are free to print and distribute in support for the Open Holster Day efforts.

-Boxcab

6/22 Updated brochure with slightly better grammer

Attachments

• 02 Brochure.pdf
      38.2 KB · Views: 352
    Last edited:

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    I don't have a holster yet for my toys (Glock and SIG). This would be a reason to get one. Count me it!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    As mentioned in another thread, I'm in unless it's a million degrees. Large, transparent-skinned folks such as myself do best in cool, dark places. :)

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Where would we be meeting at in Annapolis?

its more of a everyone just goes out in Annapolis kind of thing (read the op) go get ice cream, eat food walk around, all while showing how defenseless we are.

Remember empty holsters and if the cops roll up don't grab for it to show its empty

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    its more of a everyone just goes out in Annapolis kind of thing (read the op) go get ice cream, eat food walk around, all while showing how defenseless we are.

Remember empty holsters and if the cops roll up don't grab for it to show its empty

But we should have a meeting spot for some to pass out bundles of fliers to the participants that want to hand them out when asked about the holsters, and/or to also better gage the size of the participation.

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    August is good, even if hot, it will take that long to convince my wife to go along with this (that's your cue, K31).

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Just a thought - I would make sure that the letters going to different agencies are sent with delivery confirmation at a minimum, or even registered. It would be a couple bucks in cheap insurance against "no, we were not notified and the public was frightened" type BS letters, especially from the Governors office. I'd hate to see O' Malley spin this any more than you already know he would.

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    Just a thought - I would make sure that the letters going to different agencies are sent with delivery confirmation at a minimum, or even registered. It would be a couple bucks in cheap insurance against "no, we were not notified and the public was frightened" type BS letters, especially from the Governors office. I'd hate to see O' Malley spin this any more than you already know he would.

+1
    i could see this happening very easily

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    These are the times when I hate being in the car business. I can pretty much count myself out of any Saturday activities. Wish I could be there to help support the cause (especially since I live in Annapolis and I wouldn't have a problem getting there). I hope all goes well.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    hrmm...maybe we could meet at the steps to the capital building or something to get our flyers and then roll out from there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom