• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Reflecting back on yesterday. I wished we were allowed to make comments or ask questions through out the proceedings. When Rep. Dumbass kept asking about the NRA Basic Hand Gun class containing live fire I would have asked her if she's taken it and if not volunteer to pay for her to take it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    OK, help me to understand where things stand.

Is my memory correct that to rent a handgun at a MD range you will need a HQL?

To get an HQL you now need live fire training?

With what? If you are a newbie, how are you going to do that?

As I recall, you cannot even loan a handgun to a friend because that is an illegal transfer?

Is this one of those problems where you can't do A until doing B, but you can't do B until you have done A?

The Chow case spoke to the MSP agreed that a loan is fine between friends and/or family without issue. Since no money or other property is exchanged for the use of the firearm, you are good to go.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    That's one thing that I think would help fix many of the problems a lot of states are facing. Yes there's probably some state(s) that are so overwhelmingly blue that it wouldn't have an impact, but for the vast majority it would create a shift away from the lefties in the state senates.

Actually, it would solve just about all the problems in all the states. And it's probably legal. The lawless SCOTUS ruling dealt with the Nebraska legislature...which was unicameral. I think a very strong case can be made that in a bicameral legislature, having different methods for selecting legislators is extremely Constutitional. Because it provides the minority with real protections and negoiating power.

Think about it...Maryland is currently 100% controlled by the I-95 Axis counties. Three counties rule the entire state. Anyone in Southern Maryland, Western Maryland, or the Eastern Shore has no effective voice whatsoever. None. All we do is pay taxes and watch our civil liberties get eroded.

Under the old system, the I-95 Axis would still control the House of Delegates. Still control the Governor's Mansion. But not the State Senate. There, the rural counties would have their voice. Not a power to inflict their will, but a veto to keep from being abused. Laws would have to be beneficial and agreeable to all of Maryland. Spending would have to be negoiated over...not just a matter of looting Payerville to fund some urban rathole.

The question is, can we get SCOTUS to mandate it?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I sent hvymax over to play with him.

:D

You did a great job with the ground game yesterday. Delegate Mike asked if all of the pocket Constitutions got handed out. I assured him if they didn't, that they would be at local gun shows and other events.

Mr H

Banana'd
    You did a great job with the ground game yesterday. Delegate Mike asked if all of the pocket Constitutions got handed out. I assured him if they didn't, that they would be at local gun shows and other events.

We were able to hand out about half of them, but yes... they will get put to good use. He is very kind to us, to provide these.

The praise for yesterday goes to everyone who comes out to do the good work. I'm just the bigmouth.

:D

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here's the last 16 minutes from yesterday for those that don't like the state's video player.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    LOST AND FOUND NOTICE

MSI is a full-service provider...

Senate staff called saying someone left behind a pair of glasses in the joint hearing room. If they be yours, email or PM me and I'll hook you up.

Thanks everyone for coming out. It matters.

More later.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    LOL...

Next time, we all need to stand up, wave and yell, "Hi, Vinny!!! We hate gun violence too!"

We need to be sure to not respond using their terms... it is not gun violence, it is violence using a gun.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Actually, it would solve just about all the problems in all the states. And it's probably legal. The lawless SCOTUS ruling dealt with the Nebraska legislature...which was unicameral. I think a very strong case can be made that in a bicameral legislature, having different methods for selecting legislators is extremely Constutitional. Because it provides the minority with real protections and negoiating power.

Think about it...Maryland is currently 100% controlled by the I-95 Axis counties. Three counties rule the entire state. Anyone in Southern Maryland, Western Maryland, or the Eastern Shore has no effective voice whatsoever. None. All we do is pay taxes and watch our civil liberties get eroded.

Under the old system, the I-95 Axis would still control the House of Delegates. Still control the Governor's Mansion. But not the State Senate. There, the rural counties would have their voice. Not a power to inflict their will, but a veto to keep from being abused. Laws would have to be beneficial and agreeable to all of Maryland. Spending would have to be negoiated over...not just a matter of looting Payerville to fund some urban rathole.

yes. I've been musing this scenario for a couple weeks now. we have no chance to change the md constitution starting with the legislature... but I imagine a majority of the counties in md would rather their county council appoint senators. and I imagine that would create quite the check to the unlimited dnc power.

I think it would be a more productive avenue than western md or the eastern shore seceeding.

just think what has been dropped on the counties recently, the rain tax and the passing of teacher pensions.

would county executives or councils have grounds to sue? this really needs to be explored.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    LOL...

Next time, we all need to stand up, wave and yell, "Hi, Vinny!!! We hate gun violence too!"

Yeah after he refused the MSI sticker and pointed out his affiliation I smiled and said "OH you want all Marylanders to be as safe as the kids at Newtown". Which has become my universal response to all Anti's.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

Which is precisely WHY the US Senate was to be chosen by the state legislatures.

It was a check against rampant, overt, centralized power, and to make sure that each state had a say in how the FEDERAL government's negative powers WERE exercised. The states (with respect to the fed) and the counties (with respect to the state) have been left out of the policy/legislative making processes that they are responsible for dealing with.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    yes. I've been musing this scenario for a couple weeks now. we have no chance to change the md constitution starting with the legislature... but I imagine a majority of the counties in md would rather their county council appoint senators. and I imagine that would create quite the check to the unlimited dnc power.

I think it would be a more productive avenue than western md or the eastern shore seceeding.

just think what has been dropped on the counties recently, the rain tax and the passing of teacher pensions.

would county executives or councils have grounds to sue? this really needs to be explored.
    I LIKE THIS IDEA!

How do we make it happen?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I LIKE THIS IDEA!

How do we make it happen?

I have no idea. I mentioned it in another thread about the md constitution, I'm hoping someone that is a whole lot smarter than I am can tell me why its not a good idea.

if it is possible, then we need a majority of the counties to be on board.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

IIRC, there are two ways to get amendments through in MD:

1. Legislature-driven referendum (as noted, we already know that is doomed to failure)
    2. Constitutional Convention
    The time window for the Constitutional Convention does not come around until 2030 (MD Elections must pose the question to the voting public every 20 years). That process apparently passed a simple majority in 2010 (54% of voters in favor according to a search), but the Administration has not seated a convention (with multiple articles in a search showing that the Administration determined that a "super majority" of voters is required [I can't seem to find that language in the MD Constitution, which implies a simple majority should work]).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom