• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm in my stand now. Perfect day with zero wind, but it's been a ghost town.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415478897.329392.jpg

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    What are you hunting on? I mean, do you have a trail, scraps, bedding areas close by?

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    What are you hunting on? I mean, do you have a trail, scraps, bedding areas close by?

Good Luck!

Jim Smith

Thanks! Trail. The camera showed several does and a large 8 pointer taken last night. Hoping to catch the big boy but at this point, I'll take anything. This is my first year bow hunting.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've always hunted for meat first, then horns. Gotta fill the freezer regardless of what goes to the taxidermist. Good luck with the hunt. May your arrow find it's target.

Jim Smith

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks! Trail. The camera showed several does and a large 8 pointer taken last night. Hoping to catch the big boy but at this point, I'll take anything. This is my first year bow hunting.

Hunt up until legal time ends. This time of the year, you can't stay in the woods long enough. A buck will chase a doe almost any time and that's all you need. The rut is a special time for the bucks, they do strange and unusual things this time of year.

Good Luck!!!
    Jim Smith

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Horrible experience today, shot a doe at 20 yards...never recovered her. I searched for 5 hours through 2 different properties and crossed a creek. In over my 20 years of hunting this is the first deer I have never found. Came home and shot my crossbow and it was dead on, the inky thing that makes sense was the bolt hitting a tree branch.

Regardless, will probably put the crossbow down for the year, losing a deer is something I don't take lightly.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I had a doe get away from me once too. I had a great blood trail, then it just stopped, and no sign of a deer anywhere. I was afraid to walk any further as the deer ran onto guess what- the anti hunter's property. With the blood trail gone, no way to know direction to proceed, or if the deer was laying on the anti's property somewhere. I went to walk around one side of the anti's to the next property and got up the hill and then heard a BOOM at another adjoining property. I was hoping either the doe was a clean through muscle shot, or if not, the other hunter finished her off. The reason for the bad shot was the damn wind kept shifting and deer scented me and were very spooky, and I was getting desperate. It was late muzzleloader ( probably last day of the season) and I wanted some venison. The deer were moving around, not still and feeding. Normally the wind was always from the north with no issues, but not that day.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Unfortunately it happens. I have lost a few thru years. In fact 2 weeks ago, a big 10 that I had been watching for 2 years came in at 19 yards.broadside shot, I watched the arrow hit, knew he wouldn't go far. gave him over an hour to lay. found some hair where he was standing but no blood. started looking where I saw him run and it looked like a dc murder scene. followed a blood trail at a steady walk for over 300 yards into a briar patch. followed it another 100 yards on my hands and knees and it stopped. after looking all afternoon, I pulled the card from the camera. got a pic of him 20 seconds before I shot. I looked for 2 days after that and never found him. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about it still. Its hard to take but figure out what you think went wrong and learn from it.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Anubis, hope you weren't going to get a shoulder mount on that buck, your taxidermist might have issue with the cut throat. Otherwise, congrats on the buck.

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010
    Anubis, hope you weren't going to get a shoulder mount on that buck, your taxidermist might have issue with the cut throat. Otherwise, congrats on the buck.

Nah. A euro mount. He kinda took off and wound up in that stream. When we got to him he was still kicking so my friend just walked up and cut its throat without saying anything. I wasn't planning on a shoulder mount but it would've been nice for him to ask if I wanted his throat slit wide open lol.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hunt up until legal time ends. This time of the year, you can't stay in the woods long enough. A buck will chase a doe almost any time and that's all you need. The rut is a special time for the bucks, they do strange and unusual things this time of year.

Good Luck!!!
    Jim Smith

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

somdfisher

Sep 12, 2013
    Lusby, MD
    I've taken 3 so far this year and this is my first year really deer hunting. My first deer ever was taken the weekend after opening day. I have been waiting on one of two bucks I have seen while hunting and on camera to get into the shooting lane of my blind but I haven't been that lucky yet. Last Saturday I took my 5 year old son out hunting with me and took a spike with 6' spikes. I would have passed on him if I was alone but my son wanted to take him so I did. Luckily I have two anterless already so I can still use the bonus tag I bought. I wanted him there for the whole process and the spike seemed to want to be the learning tool.

Attachments

• 10806485_10202838624356227_143687573905756695_n.jpg
      10806485_10202838624356227_143687573905756695_n.jpg
      125.3 KB · Views: 208

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads