Of all the modern handguns, why trust your life with a 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    My experience says otherwise. Get Tripp Mags.

CMC Mags can ding the crap out of your feed ramp on the frame with the pointed steel followers.

WC Mags have really went downhill in the past several years. Binding and crappy made followers are a common issue in my experience.

I work on guns professionally so take my advice or leave it. I don't benefit from the choices you make, just trying to help you avoid problems.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Magazines.html

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I run several brand mags. As long as the mags are right and the gun is right, things go well. For shooting some stubby target bullets yielding a short COL, like the Federal 185 grain match loads or equivalent reloads, many pistols will require a very late release magazine.

thai

May 8, 2013
    My experience says otherwise. Get Tripp Mags.

CMC Mags can ding the crap out of your feed ramp on the frame with the pointed steel followers.

WC Mags have really went downhill in the past several years. Binding and crappy made followers are a common issue in my experience.

I work on guns professionally so take my advice or leave it. I don't benefit from the choices you make, just trying to help you avoid problems.

Thanks Chad,
    I am going to go about finding on the Internets and see if I can get me some of them.

pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    1911 tried & true

I would never think twice about grabbing my 1991's and going to the shit. I love my Ruger P345, fits my big ass hands and never have had any FTF or FTE, this is my other go to handgun of choice. I keep the Ruger next to my bed & the LCP on my wife's side but when the dog starts going nuts I grab my Mossberg. I have been saving for a FNX this will be my next handgun. I think firearms are like women both beautiful and the best thing that ever happened to this man.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I never understood what "limp wristing", "extractor tuning", "failure to return to battery" or a 250 round "break in period" were until I bought a 1911. My other pistols had no issues like these.

Any decent-quality 1911 would have given you a much better experience. You can't blame these issues on the design when it was represented by a crappy, 3rd world knock-off. Good grief!

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I prefer act mags over cmc and wc. I don't know if I have used wolff mags under a different branding though. No opinion on them.

Thank you sir... Since that is the brand that came with my RIA. And since I found them at a good price from Gregcotelc... I picked up a few for spares.

Your recommendation makes me feel better about the purchase.

ACT-MAG%201911%208%20RD%20(2)%20AMC4508PFB.jpg

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=545

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The ACT mag that came with my RIA won't properly feed any rounds into my 1911. I've had to pull three cartidges because they got jammed into the frame instead of going up the feed ramp. No problems with the Wilsons I picked up.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The ACT mag that came with my RIA won't properly feed any rounds into my 1911. I've had to pull three cartidges because they got jammed into the frame instead of going up the feed ramp. No problems with the Wilsons I picked up.

Contact Armscor in Nevada. They handle all CS issues with RIA. Their service is great. They paid air freight out and back and totally reworked mine. They re-ramped and polished the feed ramp and the chamber throat. Replaced springs and Rockwell tested the frame. It feeds everything now. Total cost to me = 0

Armscor USA and Rock Island Armory
    150 North Smart Way
    Pahrump, NV 89060

Phone: (775) 537-1444
    Fax: (775) 751-4425

info@armscor.com
    support@armscor.com

Last edited:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    For what it was worth, many of best operators in the world used custom 1911s. I don't know about currently, only what I read i books.

I know the single action trigger makes the 1911 the most accurate semi automatic that I can shoot.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Sitting in the movie theater right now the colt commander on my hip has never let me down. If it had I wou ld not be carrying it. I try not to think about the fact the wife is carrying a glock 19.

Lord chad please text me I miss you

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sitting in the movie theater right now the colt commander on my hip has never let me down. If it had I wou ld not be carrying it. I try not to think about the fact the wife is carrying a glock 19.

Lord chad please text me I miss you

I only have my work phone now my friend. I had to shut mine down almost 2 months ago.

My work phone only does phone calls. No more texting or smart phone for me.

BTW your wife is carrying a more reliable gun. :lol2:

ill send you a PM with my email.

A 1911 saved my young ass in Vietnam in '68. I've carried one ever since, except for a few months here in MD. Maryland just could not understand that a retired LEO from another state could carry. As an LEO perps mostly cooperated immediately when they looked at the wrong end of my Colt. I got the nickname "Cannon" from one such occasion.

I did carry Glocks and even that junk S&W Sigma, but always had my 1911 as a backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom