• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Without really thinking about it, I could be considered "Native American".

My family left England and arrived at New Castle in what we now call Delaware in The United States in about 1630.

I need help, how long does One's Family have to be in a given area to be considered "Native"?

Judging by how many people want to be called African American, I would say a pretty long time

Feb 28, 2013
    Judging by how many people want to be called African American, I would say a pretty long time

Does someone who has one parent who is actually from Germany have more right to call himself a German-American than does someone calling himself an African-American who may be about 6 generations removed from Africa?:innocent0

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    In Maryland I suppose we allowed to indicate whatever race we most closely identify with that day, kind of like the bathrooms.

Now, I am off for some Sardi's rotisserie before my tee time.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Does someone who has one parent who is actually from Germany have more right to call himself a German-American than does someone calling himself an African-American who may be about 6 generations removed from Africa?:innocent0

The funny thing is I have known a couple people who truly are "African Americans" and they're whiter than I am!:lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sad to tell you this, but Native American is a ethnic group not a race.

Same with Hispanic.

However, to be proper Hispanic means of the Hispanola peninsula. Which is Spain, Portugal, and maybe Basque.

Most people from Latin America are NOT from Hispanola (Hispanic). They are actually Native American (indigenous people in the Americas when the Europeans arrived).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

6 generations??? You mean their family did not come over until around the late 1940s/early 1950s??????

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Jessie invented that silly assed term for his flock that probably couldn't find Africa on a globe. :rolleyes: To me they're Americans that happen to be black or just plain ole blacks. Outside of that I couldn't care less. :shrug:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Same with Hispanic.

However, to be proper Hispanic means of the Hispanola peninsula. Which is Spain, Portugal, and maybe Basque.

Most people from Latin America are NOT from Hispanola (Hispanic). They are actually Native American (indigenous people in the Americas when the Europeans arrived).

That is not how OMB defines it:

“Hispanic or Latino” refers to
    a person of Cuban, Mexican,
    Puerto Rican, South or Central
    American, or other Spanish
    culture or origin regardless of
    race.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is not how OMB defines it:

“Hispanic or Latino” refers to
    a person of Cuban, Mexican,
    Puerto Rican, South or Central
    American, or other Spanish
    culture or origin regardless of
    race.

Exactly. How they define it, does not match reality.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    For a president of mixed race, who campaigned on fighting racism, why does he insist on bringing up race at every opportunity and setting policy for his agencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom