• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    My wife was so disappointed when she heard that she couldn't go shooting. She wasn't concerned with the lead exposure, but the dB from the "bang" travelling to the baby's freshly developing ears. I'm trying to figure out a sound deadening vest or jacket that will hug the belly and reduce the dB to a safe level. I don't know if it's possible though (no live testing...I wouldn't risk that).

What does she do if someone starts a Harley close by, or unloads a commercial garbage container ?

I wouldn't advise a pregnant woman to shoot a .300 winmag with a muzzle brake for 100 rounds every day of the week, what we are talking about is shooting a single round of .22 to fulfill a statutory requirement. How much of a 'shockwave' do you feel from a .22, pistol, particularly a heavier one like a target pistol ?

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    OP: I have a 10" 22lr pistol that when suppressed doesn't make much more sound than the hammer hitting. It sounds like a click pen.

You're more than welcome to PM me a date/time/place and I'll meet you so your wife can "experience" shooting a single round.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    I'm totally confused by this thread....

1) Most bullets are copper jacketed
    2) You typically need to shoot one round
    3) Propellants don't have lead in them, and are no more toxic than a fireplace

Unless you are concerned about ricochets it's just not an issue.

MOST physicians are anti-gun... and their direction is usually based on that slant.

Also, when your child is born, the pediatricians office is going to ask you if you have firearms in the house. Prepare for it, and tell them no. (They will document you answer...)

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    You think the govt cares?

The usual route is inhalation or ingestion. That does not mean it not absorbed through the skin.

Baltimore County Police seems to be totally ignorant of lead exposure, are you sure your range is much better? http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-co-firearms-range-20140904-story.html

I have an MD behind my name, but I don't pay obstetrician malpractice rates. This is the price you pay if you have a phone/computer and a lawyer.

The Gov may not care. But the prego CPT an MAJ sure as hell would. Both are MD's.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    What does she do if someone starts a Harley close by, or unloads a commercial garbage container ?

I wouldn't advise a pregnant woman to shoot a .300 winmag with a muzzle brake for 100 rounds every day of the week, what we are talking about is shooting a single round of .22 to fulfill a statutory requirement. How much of a 'shockwave' do you feel from a .22, pistol, particularly a heavier one like a target pistol ?

I was saying this for my wife. She owns a 9mm and an AR. Both of those are well above a safe dB level for hearing without protection. I know OP is talking about 1 shot for HQL but I was just relaying what I have recently had to think about with my wife. FWIW, I personally think one shot would be fine.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Dont lick the bullets. There is no measureable lead exposure from a couple of rounds fired at a range or into a bullet trap.

Vaporized lead from the primer and any not semi-jacketed (rear unjacketed lead portion) projectile are certainly measurable.
    Sounds extremely discriminatory to me.

The law doesn't say pregnant women can't have HQLs, so I wouldn't be quick to jump to conclusions.

The TX hunter's license avenue was mentioned and that's the one I would go with.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm totally confused by this thread....

1) Most bullets are copper jacketed
    2) You typically need to shoot one round
    3) Propellants don't have lead in them, and are no more toxic than a fireplace

Unless you are concerned about ricochets it's just not an issue.

MOST physicians are anti-gun... and their direction is usually based on that slant.

1) Full metal jacket bullets have exposed lead at the base. Where the hot gases from the powder burning can vaporize some lead.

2) Absolutely. But at a range, you may not be the only one shooting.

3) No they don't, but primers DO. And the primer is a significant source of airborne lead. Unless you shoot "green" ammo, which has a non-lead bullet and non-lead primer.

Yes, many are.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    1) Full metal jacket bullets have exposed lead at the base. Where the hot gases from the powder burning can vaporize some lead.

2) Absolutely. But at a range, you may not be the only one shooting.

3) No they don't, but primers DO. And the primer is a significant source of airborne lead. Unless you shoot "green" ammo, which has a non-lead bullet and non-lead primer.

Yes, many are.

Good points!

Hey, if the OP needs green 9MM or 45ACP, of even 556 NATO... I have all of that in copper metal matrix lead free "green" primer ammo, now that I think of it.

I bought alot of that stuff before RWS stopped selling it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    it's not just about lead toxicity, but there's a theory that the recoil force waves can travel back to the fetus, possibly harming it or the placenta. Just a theory, but do you want to be the test case?

I wouldn't risk it...but if y'all were dead set on it, I'd suggest using a semi-auto .22, light punching FMJ ammo, and as few shots as possible for her live fire. That should minimize lead exposure and recoil.

Yeah my wife's OB mentioned something along those lines. I am sure if you go someplace and fire one shot it would be no biggie but how many ranges are empty and of course how many ranges do not have that one guy there with the big boomer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom