• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How does it work with handgun mags ? Do you have to block or rivet them or is it possible to keep standard size mags.

Existing mags are grandfathered. You can bring any new mags in, you just can't buy them, trade them, make or recieve them in MD.

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    okay well I looked around on the internet yesterday for HBAR rifles and I still don't know what I am looking for when you say HBAR. Will the manufacturer specifically say, "legal for sale in: MD, CA, etc"?

if anyone has done a ton of research on HBAR rifles could you please list a few models so I have something to go off of? I have been in contact with a guy at Engage Armament but I haven't had a chance to stop by the store and get info in person.

I don't want to seem like I cant do my own shopping or whatever, I just have no idea what I am looking for...:o

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    okay well I looked around on the internet yesterday for HBAR rifles and I still don't know what I am looking for when you say HBAR. Will the manufacturer specifically say, "legal for sale in: MD, CA, etc"?

if anyone has done a ton of research on HBAR rifles could you please list a few models so I have something to go off of? I have been in contact with a guy at Engage Armament but I haven't had a chance to stop by the store and get info in person.

I don't want to seem like I cant do my own shopping or whatever, I just have no idea what I am looking for...:o

should I be looking for something like this?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...flip-up-sights-and-half-quad-rail-ss1010.html

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I would say don't worry, just go shopping and ask for "MD legal heavy barrel or HBAR AR's". Any shop worth buying from will be helpful after you speak those words.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

The above is a good bet, follow through on that. :thumbsup:

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    alright, I'll stop by their store this weekend then.

Thanks to everyone for providing input!!! (I'm guessing there are questions like this quite often so thanks for repeating the information for me!)

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    alright, I'll stop by their store this weekend then.

Thanks to everyone for providing input!!! (I'm guessing there are questions like this quite often so thanks for repeating the information for me!)

There are alot of questions like this, but asking helps all of us get better at answering. Engage is a good place to go, they are a IP and have really really nice billet uppers and lowers. I personally am putting two AR's together and may spring for a S&W Hbar Varmiter or just get the AR10 i have been wanting for years.

You might want to look into a 22lr conversion to keep running your new ar cheap until you get the hang of it. you get the same hands on time at 1/5th the cost.

And dont go nuts with accessories for a while, get some hands on time so you know what will work with what you want and what wont...

Good luck and welcome to the Forum, there is alot of knowlege to share here.

Feb 28, 2013
    not all have HBAR stamped on them.. its just the profile of the barrel.. it has to meet the minimum dimension to meet the hbar category.

Both of mine do.

Or this.....

http://clydearmory.com/colt-ar6721.html

However, you CAN'T have this...

http://clydearmory.com/bushmaster-a3-11-5-barrel-5-5-mizzle-break-5-56mm.html

...Because the Politburo decided that those are BAD.:rolleyes:

okay, so does every company that produces ARs also produce HBARs?

Just about. Colt and Windham Weaponry seem to be the most popular though.

thanks everyone for the quick replies, you've all been very helpful.

Glad to be of service.:)

im glad I checked this out before I went ahead and broke the law without even knowing

You might be surprised how many laws you break in a day not knowing.:tinfoil:

And dont go nuts with accessories for a while, get some hands on time so you know what will work with what you want and what wont...

Nice tongue twister.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum, there is alot of knowlege to share here.

You ain't kiddin. There's enough to keep anyone busy for a whole weekend at least.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Sling Blade

The Clyde Armory Hbar comes with Maryland illegal magazines.

If the OP orders something he needs to make sure the Mags are legal also. 10 round maximum. So JMoon you will also need to plan a trip to another state to purchase normal capacity magazines which are illegal to purchase or transfer in Maryland. It is legal for you to buy them elsewhere and bring them back for your use.

Feb 28, 2013
    Sling Blade

The Clyde Armory Hbar comes with Maryland illegal magazines.

If the OP orders something he needs to make sure the Mags are legal also. 10 round maximum.

Doesn't matter. The dealer he's having it shipped to will just keep them prior to transfer, like A1Uniforms had to do with my WASR-10

So JMoon you will also need to plan a trip to another state to purchase normal capacity magazines which are illegal to purchase or transfer in Maryland. It is legal for you to buy them elsewhere and bring them back for your use.

Right. Commonly found at any out of state gun show.

jrosen007

Mar 16, 2014
    Howard County
    What is the minimum dimension?

not all have HBAR stamped on them.. its just the profile of the barrel.. it has to meet the minimum dimension to meet the hbar category.

I'm curious - what is the minimum dimension to meet the HBAR category? Is there anywhere in the law or an MSP bulletin that has cited that dimension?

I would like to know because I'm looking online and some rifles are listed as "heavy barrel" but it seems that may or may not qualify for Maryland. I guess if the item description on what I purchase is listed as "heavy barrel" in the description, and I carry a printout of the sale listing from the online store with the rifle - that w\should stifle any questions. I doubt the MSP carries digital calipers to check should the situation ever arise.

I'd like to have all my bases covered to make sure whatever I purchase is in full compliance with the law, so if there is a measurement requirement I can contact the rifle manufacturer and find out what if the barrel is in compliance or not.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm curious - what is the minimum dimension to meet the HBAR category? Is there anywhere in the law or an MSP bulletin that has cited that dimension?

I would like to know because I'm looking online and some rifles are listed as "heavy barrel" but it seems that may or may not qualify for Maryland. I guess if the item description on what I purchase is listed as "heavy barrel" in the description, and I carry a printout of the sale listing from the online store with the rifle - that w\should stifle any questions. I doubt the MSP carries digital calipers to check should the situation ever arise.

I'd like to have all my bases covered to make sure whatever I purchase is in full compliance with the law, so if there is a measurement requirement I can contact the rifle manufacturer and find out what if the barrel is in compliance or not.

I can't tell from the top of my head. But there is a dimension.. And it has to run all the way in the barrel not just part of it.

Somebody like clandestine may chime in or any other ffl dealers.

http://www.shilen.com/ar15Barrels.html#ar15Contours
    0.92 is the norm dimension at the muzzle.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

That is not defined in Maryland and is noted in the lawsuit Kolbe v O'Malley as one of the reasons the law should be struck down.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=148158

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That is not defined in Maryland and is noted in the lawsuit Kolbe v O'Malley as one of the reasons the law should be struck down.

And the precedent that Patrick quotes looks very strong to me ... seems like the only reason MOM hasn't instructed Kolonell Brown to issue a definition (and thereby nullify the lawsuit) is to continue to drain money from MSI until after the state looses.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It will take a lot more than one definition to nullify that lawsuit. And he better get the definition right because if it makes even one legally sold AR into a banned firearm that is another can of fish bait.

The discussion in the lawsuit is covered on pages 41-42 of
    PLAINTIFFS’ MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT OF THEIR CROSS-MOTION FOR SUMMARY
    JUDGMENT AND IN OPPOSITION TO DEFENDANTS’ MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo