• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of shooting and was hoping I could get some advice on how to go about building my own AR 15. I was told today by a local FFL that Maryland no longer allows transfers into state of AR15 lower receiver (the gun part). My father has a VA drivers license and a house there as well, is it okay if he purchases the lower receiver through a VA FFL as a VA resident and then gives it to me?

Also, is it still legal to purchase all the other components (LPK, completed upper) and have them shipped to my house in MD?

THANKS!!!

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If I understand the import regulations correctly, you may only bring in banned firearms, including lowers, if you owned them prior to 1 OCT 2013.

All of the other parts are fully legal to purchase as they are not regulated.

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    so does that mean the rifle would only be legal if it stayed in VA?

what a bummer

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Assuming you are a Maryland resident, you may NOT receive an AR-15 or other banned gun. You may NOT acquire the lower from your father.

You can buy the other required components, if you want to look at them and give them to your father.

You MAY buy a Colt HBAR-configured rifle. No problems.

Solution: Vote out the idiots.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    so does that mean the rifle would only be legal if it stayed in VA?

what a bummer

Look on the bright side, you now have a good reason to visit your dad more often.

You can still legally purchase an HBAR here in the PRM. Not as much fun a building your own but you aren't completely shut out (yet.)

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    sorry if this is common knowledge but what is the difference between the HBAR and the standard AR15? How can I tell the difference to know if it is legal to purchase?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    sorry if this is common knowledge but what is the difference between the HBAR and the standard AR15? How can I tell the difference to know if it is legal to purchase?

No one knows and you can't tell. The way to tell is if an FFL will transfer it to you.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD

It will actually be engraved with "HBAR" on the side of the magwell with the caliber and serial number... and most have "HBAR" in the visible portion of the barrel near the sight lug.

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    It will actually be engraved with "HBAR" on the side of the magwell with the caliber and serial number... and most have "HBAR" in the visible portion of the barrel near the sight lug.

so its still an AR15, just with a heavy barrel? does that have anything to do with the lower receiver? I'm confused...

so what I am getting is that I cannot build my own AR 15 even if I outfit it with a heavy barrel? I would have to buy a rifle that is already an HBAR marketed rifle? am I allowed to make modifications to my HBAR since those components aren't regulated?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I believe that your only legal option is to buy an HBAR and keep it configured as an HBAR. To be legal anything else would have had to have been bought (and registered) before 10/1/13.
    It sucks but, hey I didn't vote for any of those A-holes.

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    okay, so does every company that produces ARs also produce HBARs?

thanks everyone for the quick replies, you've all been very helpful. im glad I checked this out before I went ahead and broke the law without even knowing

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    You can buy and build an AR15 if you want. All you need to do is move from Amerika and back to America.

At this time, regardless of where you live outside of MD, if you purchase/build a non-HBAR AR15 after 10/1/2013 you cannot bring it into MD.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , it's not you. All this really is silly and confusing.

We really don't want to seem to pick on newcomers , but Oct 1 2013 really was a defining line in the sand moment in time for Maryland gunowners. That's why large numbers of people stocked up on stacks of stripped lowers pre-Oct .

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

not all have HBAR stamped on them.. its just the profile of the barrel.. it has to meet the minimum dimension to meet the hbar category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom