• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Don't think this is some kind of Maryland loophole allowing you to buy an AK like weapon.
    I knew about the VZ58 before it was popular. I actually thought it was a differently designed gun based on the AK but it isn't in anyway including the way it handles.

It's based on the CZ 52 rifle and if the Czechs had it there way it would have fired a different round.

Don't buy one if you think your getting an AK like weapon. The VZ stands on it's own merits and in many ways better then an AK. This is a weapon that should be realistically priced at $800 for what you are getting, at least my VZ2008 is.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Don't think this is some kind of Maryland loophole allowing you to buy an AK like weapon.
    I knew about the VZ58 before it was popular. I actually thought it was a differently designed gun based on the AK but it isn't in anyway including the way it handles.

It's based on the CZ 52 rifle and if the Czechs had it there way it would have fired a different round.

Don't buy one if you think your getting an AK like weapon. The VZ stands on it's own merits and in many ways better then an AK. This is a weapon that should be realistically priced at $800 for what you are getting, at least my VZ2008 is.

thanks for the input, I totally agree! The price point you quoted is exactly what I payed for my VZ58 in 2011 and I still thought of it as a great deal.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    thanks for the input, I totally agree! The price point you quoted is exactly what I payed for my VZ58 in 2011 and I still thought of it as a great deal.

I think there are going to be more the a few people that will kick themselves for not buying a VZ when they had the chance.

I thought my Mosin Nagant was kind of one of those rifles but it's no where near as practical, it's questionable.
    Your VZ58 is certainly worth a lot more now then what you paid for it.
    I would like to buy another VZ but my other sought after rifle at this time is the CZ 527 in 7.62X39.

Feb 28, 2013

From what I've read they wanted to use the 7.62x45 round, but I believe it was Kruschev who vetoed the Czech round since the Russkies controlled Czechoslovakia they wanted everything standardized.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    From what I've read they wanted to use the 7.62x45 round, but I believe it was Kruschev who vetoed the Czech round since the Russkies controlled Czechoslovakia they wanted everything standardized.

I can understand that, especially when it comes to logistics on the battle field.
    At least they let the Czech's keep their proud firearm tradition and develop what they wanted which is a high quality rifle.
    The history of the VZ is quiet fascinating because it was used by some other countries special forces when they had AKs at their disposal.

From what I read the merits of the AK47 is it's reliability and cost to manufacture especially for underdeveloped nations giving rise to it's popularity and legendry status. The VZ is not that kind of rifle although it's simple in design and just as reliable if not more so.

Feb 28, 2013
    From what I read the merits of the AK47 is it's reliability and cost to manufacture especially for underdeveloped nations giving rise to it's popularity and legendry status. The VZ is not that kind of rifle although it's simple in design and just as reliable if not more so.

Takes a little longer to field strip though.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    No disrespect to anyone here, but it surprises me how many people still think these are AKs (many threads on here and other forums about this same topic). The VZ58 has come from under the rock that it's been hiding under for the last 50 years, and in the last 3 years it has gained alot of popularity. Still surprised that people are just learning about these..........

As October 1st loomed, I needed to make some decisions. I had two purchases left.....

In late July I grabbed an AK 74. I did not buy a 47 because I knew that the VZ was not on the hit list. That would become my 762X39 caliber gun.

I then did an AR upper, not that I needed another AR per se, but it gave me the most OPTIONS.

Overall very pleased with my AK 74 and VZ 2008, save for the front sites. Still not crazy about that and can't seem to find that fix everyone is talking about. Guess I will keep banging on them with the rubber mallet.

Sirex