• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 18, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm new to shooting. I have only been out a couple times, and shot a few 22's (rifle & handguns) and some 9mm (rifle & handgun) and a 45. I own a Marlin 60, and was wondering what is a good 22 handgun or 9mm handgun, for a first purchase. Im looking for reliable, easy to maintain, and inexpensive...under $300. Thanks.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Under 300? You're looking either used or a HiPoint. I don't recommend the second. You can PM our Internet Partners and see what they have in stock. Oh and BTW welcome to the forum.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Take a look at these links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Helpful Hints Video[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

Jan 18, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the fast reply, and the welcome. I have heard both good and bad about Hi Points...I shot a hi point 9mm carbine, and enjoyed it. Like everything else, I guess it is preference. Any recommendations for a 22?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    For a entry level 9mm you'll want to save a little more. Getting into the low $400 range will give you a fee decent options.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    You can get a S&W22a for about $300. I love mine they have a full weaver rail top with integrated open sights. You can get extra barrels for about $150. It is a 100yd plinker with the scoped 7 1/2" barrel. A speed shooter with the red dotted 5 1/2" barrel. And a great shooter with either and open sights.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    You can find a Ruger 22 new for that price, something like a 22/45 .22 is a fine gun.
    For that price in 9mm, I would say look for used. There is a Ruger p95 in the classifieds,
    the Ruger P series 9mm are good value handguns.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    You can find a Ruger 22 new for that price, something like a 22/45 .22 is a fine gun.
    For that price in 9mm, I would say look for used. There is a Ruger p95 in the classifieds,
    the Ruger P series 9mm are good value handguns.

Thanks for the free advertising. :innocent0

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    For a 9mm, you can find a used Ruger P series within your price range. They are heavy but built like tanks.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have a Ruger P95. I bought it bc it was priced low and everything I read about it said it was built like a tank. I love it. It does seem to fit bigger hands better so keep that in mind. I have shot Glocks and they seem to recoil a bit softer than the P95. All that being said, I think the P95 is a great starter pistol, great value for price, and one that you won't regret buying.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I have an S&W 22A (bought if from a member here) I had it at the range yesterdayand its a great little gun. If your just looking at cheap target/plinking kinda stuff it's hard to go wrong with something similar. If your looking for a defensive gun I'd give the nod to the 9mm.

Be safe,

Jay

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Welcome from Germantown. Save a bit and get a 9mm handgun in the $400 - $500 range. If you are desperate, buy a Walther P1 9mm. I have one from 1980 I paid $200.00 for. I have shot over 1000 rounds through her without a single hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom