MDS Supporter
    Love my levers!

6c3c99abd75d92e6f082385bbfb1cc4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks really nice.

Suggested Retail$1,239.00 ??

pricey.
    If this is the price of the 336, how much are Mini 14's nowadays?

When I bought my 10/22 back around 2012, I thought the prices were about $300 too steep for me.
    Now they are likely still too steep.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is the price of the 336, how much are Mini 14's nowadays?

When I bought my 10/22 back around 2012, I thought the prices were about $300 too steep for me.
    Now they are likely still too steep.
    The msrp on the mini-14 ranch version is $1200-$1400ish now depending on the submodel.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I really like lever rifles and had planned to buy a 336, 1894 etc, but was primarily hunting with my bolt action Model 70's and M77 Rugers. Calibers 30-06, 270, 25-06, 22-250.

My plans were to get a Winchester or Marlin 30-30, another Marlin 44 magnum and possibly a Mini 14.
    When Ammo shortages and sky high prices hit, the ANTI's schemes worked in a partial way. Reducing how much ammo if available, and how many guns I would be able to financially afford even if models of guns and ammo I wanted were available.

This led me to buy fewer long guns and more hand guns, and my interest in AR style builds instead.
    In fact, I hadn't even realized Marlin had ceased, become Remlin, and had quality issues or anything until now in this thread.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    While my first lever action rifle was my Marlin 44 mag, I have also owned 2 of these Winchesters. One, I stupidly sold to a guy who later moved to Montana with it. I lucked into my 2nd one which I bought at an in person auction.
    At the price I am seeing one for sale at Bass Pro, I did ok both times and still have my 2nd one.
    I do foresee another Marlin in my future however. Now with the Ruger ones being fairly high price for me, I may have to learn which older ones are the better quality ones, vs the years where quality was suffering. I still believe my best bet on firearms is to continue to shop my local auction house or estate sales and buy the best caliber, model, from what is available.

10586154_0.jpg

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Better pics of the blued one.

1895G .45-70 Marlin - A Marlin - Marlin, JM Stamped
    Factory ported barrel
    Skinner Express rear sight
    Wild West Guns Hammer Spur
    Beartooth Mercantile brass magazine follower
    Buffalo Brand Leather sling and butt cuff

Also pictured along with it's stainless brother which is similarly fitted out minus the ported barrel

325 grain Hornady LeveRevolution in the blued gun and I have 500 Grain Buffalo Bore Magnums in the SS rifle.
    1895G_Lengthwise_From_The_Butt.jpeg

1895G_Lengthwise_From_The_Muzzle.jpeg
    1895G_Ported_Barrel_2.jpeg

1895G_Sights.jpeg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Better pics of the blued one.

1895G .45-70 Marlin - A Marlin - Marlin, JM Stamped
    Factory ported barrel
    Skinner Express rear sight
    Wild West Guns Hammer Spur
    Beartooth Mercantile brass magazine follower
    Buffalo Brand Leather sling and butt cuff

Also pictured along with it's stainless brother which is similarly fitted out minus the ported barrel

325 grain Hornady LeveRevolution in the blued gun and I have 500 Grain Buffalo Bore Magnums in the SS rifle.
    View attachment 408109
    View attachment 408110 View attachment 408111
    View attachment 408112

Curious, I'm guessing you've shot the same ammo out of both rifles on the same day.

How much of a difference do you notice with that factory ported barrel vs. your other rifle?

Nice rifle there!

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Curious, I'm guessing you've shot the same ammo out of both rifles on the same day.

How much of a difference do you notice with that factory ported barrel vs. your other rifle?

Nice rifle there!
    I have never shot them, side by side during the same outing so it's hard to say. I know I hoped the ported barrel would help with muzzle rise and I guess it did but not as much as I had hoped.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Leaning hard towards a 45-70 lever gun purchase.
    Must be pistol grip stock, 18-20" barrel,

I held both Henry and new Marlins at a shop in PA last year,, I liked the Henry action much better than Marlin.
    The thread barrel on Marlins is a plus,, in the small chance I would get a can in the future.
    I like the "beefier" fore stock of the Marlin.
    I Love the laminated stock of the Marlin.
    I HATE the large Eskimo mitten loop on the Marlin,, that was a show stopper for me.

The Henry H010G can be had for ~$950.00
    Marlin is ~1200-1400 (Plus $150 for a normal loop lever)

I wish I could combine the 2

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Leaning hard towards a 45-70 lever gun purchase.
    Must be pistol grip stock, 18-20" barrel,

I held both Henry and new Marlins at a shop in PA last year,, I liked the Henry action much better than Marlin.
    The thread barrel on Marlins is a plus,, in the small chance I would get a can in the future.
    I like the "beefier" fore stock of the Marlin.
    I Love the laminated stock of the Marlin.
    I HATE the large Eskimo mitten loop on the Marlin,, that was a show stopper for me.

The Henry H010G can be had for ~$950.00
    Marlin is ~1200-1400 (Plus $150 for a normal loop lever)

I wish I could combine the 2
    So far that's how I am feeling about both manufacturers. Then again, though expensive, on the Marlin, you could swap the lever I am sure. The just started to be released again 1894s are losing me from Marlin because of the lack of threading and straight stock. I really hope they produce some threaded with a semi-pistol grip/pistol grip stock without charging an arm and a leg.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    So far that's how I am feeling about both manufacturers. Then again, though expensive, on the Marlin, you could swap the lever I am sure. The just started to be released again 1894s are losing me from Marlin because of the lack of threading and straight stock. I really hope they produce some threaded with a semi-pistol grip/pistol grip stock without charging an arm and a leg.
    Yup,, The straight stocks just don't do it for me looks of feel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yup,, The straight stocks just don't do it for me looks of feel.
    I can get for a historical/collector type gun where you want it as close to the original as possible. But for normal sales? Why the heck? I can't recall a time anyone has ever ASKED for a straight wrist on a rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom