• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    It's going to be much harder to shoot them down when they all start looking like this...

full-255-35140-droneito.jpg

Just around the corner, I fear.

I have a bug a salt

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    My neighbors don't have a problem with any of mine.....I've even let them try one of my smaller ones. I don't see what people get all excited over. I have pictures from all over...most of the time the people are the ground never even know its there and are oblivious. I'm sure most of you would be too....
    I hope the idiot has to pay to replace they guys quad....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My neighbors don't have a problem with any of mine.....I've even let them try one of my smaller ones. I don't see what people get all excited over. I have pictures from all over...most of the time the people are the ground never even know its there and are oblivious. I'm sure most of you would be too....
    I hope the idiot has to pay to replace they guys quad....

People flipping out and damaging RC gear has been around a lot longer than FPV, lots of caselaw, and how-to's for RC pilots on how to deal with it. Use a DVR in your groundstation, with GPS position logging even better. If someone downs it, call the police, press destruction of property charges, present the lawsuit to the homeowners insurance co, and wait for the check or court date, unless you were being an idiot, you will win. Pretty easy to catch jamming attempts from a fixed position, and the FCC enthusiastically prosecutes it, it's tough to jam frequency hopping spread spectrum, and near impossible without a really wide interference band that disrupts most everything 2.4 in the area. They might cause me to loose a couple hundred in gear, but good chance they will spend thousands on a lawyer, and thousands more in fines, any ham knows that. Best rule for FPVers is to respect the property of others, both for safety and privacy, don't fly low over residences, and try to find a club or permitted location with some room to fly at, it's more fun. For people that just want to destroy someone's hobby out of spite, you really need to evaluate what went wrong in your head, and how great it will be to spend thousands buying the plaintiff new gear if you act on it.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    People flipping out and damaging RC gear has been around a lot longer than FPV, lots of caselaw, and how-to's for RC pilots on how to deal with it. Use a DVR in your groundstation, with GPS position logging even better. If someone downs it, call the police, press destruction of property charges, present the lawsuit to the homeowners insurance co, and wait for the check or court date, unless you were being an idiot, you will win. Pretty easy to catch jamming attempts from a fixed position, and the FCC enthusiastically prosecutes it, it's tough to jam frequency hopping spread spectrum, and near impossible without a really wide interference band that disrupts most everything 2.4 in the area. They might cause me to loose a couple hundred in gear, but good chance they will spend thousands on a lawyer, and thousands more in fines, any ham knows that. Best rule for FPVers is to respect the property of others, both for safety and privacy, don't fly low over residences, and try to find a club or permitted location with some room to fly at, it's more fun. For people that just want to destroy someone's hobby out of spite, you really need to evaluate what went wrong in your head, and how great it will be to spend thousands buying the plaintiff new gear if you act on it.

100% agree. I love people screaming when they are oppressed by certain laws but not others. Just like owning firearms....If I'm being completely responsible with flying why is it an issue? I guess I could say "Come and take it"....no?

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    Thumbs up. Irresponsible gun ownership doesn't help any of us. There were better ways to handle it.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    If "it" is flying high enough to be in regulated air space, it is too high to hit with a shotgun. If sommmeone tossed a normal video cam on to your property, it would at least be abandoned property, and at most littering.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Am I missing something? Why would an RC person fly their stuff over someone else's private property ? The same way I would never dream of target shooting on someone else's property.... Is it really that hard to keep it in your own yard or go to a state park or anywhere else that is public. I have little knowlege of the hobby but honestly I would not want one flying around my property especially if it is filming. Is there a disagreement that is a clear invasion of privacy ?

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    100% agree. I love people screaming when they are oppressed by certain laws but not others. Just like owning firearms....If I'm being completely responsible with flying why is it an issue? I guess I could say "Come and take it"....no?

I'd say he did take it.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    From my house I can fly FPV to the highway at the front of my neighborhood which is about 700m. Over about a dozen house to get there. I usually have the lens fixed on the horizon. But even if I did look down I would not be able to tell people from a barbecue or trashcan. There is no zoom lens but chances are someone has already been over your head and you just didn't even notice. Most pilots doesn't care about looking at you......just get over it.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013

However, no RC aircraft I know of can reach the height where they are in public airspace. If a quadcopter is flying over my property, they are trespassing, plain and simple and if they refuse to remove it from my property, I am the one who will be calling the police. I don't take trespassers or trespassing lightly at all. Ask permission and maybe I'll allow you. But just take it on yourself to trespass? Forget it.

As for jamming, you are a part 15 user. I have a license for those frequencies. Under FCC rules, guess who wins? This is not widespread jamming like cellular jammers. This is targeting the specific frequency range and technically isn't jamming either. I am using my radios to try to make contact.

fcc said:
    This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

Don't be a fool. Don't trespass on people's property. Ask permission and respect their privacy.

it's tough to jam frequency hopping spread spectrum, and near impossible without a really wide interference band that disrupts most everything 2.4 in the area.

I have the equipment to do it. It's not hard at all. Again, part 15. If you're unlicensed, you're outta luck. Best just to stay off other people's property. Why is that so hard?

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013

Because you are trespassing. If you don't have permission to put a camera on my property you do should not and your camera and drone does not belong there, period.

Similarly if I tell you that you cannot come to my house carrying a gun, and you do (even if you have a CCW), I can ask you to leave. You have to comply or you will be trespassing and you can be subject to arrest by the police.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    And if you really want to mess with something taking pictures, shine a laser pointer at the camera. It will be effectively blinded.

There are ways to counteract idiots whose hobby it is to invade your privacy.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Because you are trespassing. If you don't have permission to put a camera on my property you do should not and your camera and drone does not belong there, period.

Similarly if I tell you that you cannot come to my house carrying a gun, and you do (even if you have a CCW), I can ask you to leave. You have to comply or you will be trespassing and you can be subject to arrest by the police.

We'll that gets into the whole legal question of how much of the airspace over your property you actually own...which from my research insist very much. In that case it would't be trespassing if its not technically your property. Again this is all pretty moot since most of the time no one even knows I'm even there....

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    We'll that gets into the whole legal question of how much of the airspace over your property you actually own...which from my research insist very much. In that case it would't be trespassing if its not technically your property.

It's 500 feet in non-congested areas and 1000 feet in congested areas according to the FAA. This is distance above the tallest structure. In my case you need to stay at least 600 feet above the ground to be legal.

If your toy can fly higher than that, congrats, you're legal. If you're lower than that, you're trespassing.

Again this is all pretty moot since most of the time no one every knows I'm even there...he

Good attitude. WHy don't you just break into people's homes and raid their fridge when they're not home too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom