• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Funny thing is I recently bought a .40 M&P Shield and needed to have a bore lock to pick up. I borrowed a .40 lock but when I went to pick up the gun I did not have to install it. The dealer did not really even look at it. He asked if I had the lock with me. I sat it on the counter and he said fine. I could probably have used any caliber lock.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I did not buy the lock but the lock you are required to buy or have, to pick up the gun, should at least fit the gun. That's the funny part. They did not even bother to check if it was the same caliber as the gun I was buying. If we are required to buy/have this specific lock to take possession of the firearm it should at least be confirmed that it is the correct lock or why make me waste my money or time to borrow one. I could have just sat my 9mm lock on the counter.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC the statute doesn't even mention caliber. It simply states an approved lock must be with the gun iwhen it s transferred.

Important point if you get busted for it.

MD 5-103

(1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.
    (2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.
    No mention of caliber, only that it be there.

Here's the approved list from the Roster Board BTW. The list says the lock must be in the gun but the statute makes no mention of that.

Attachments

• Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices.pdf
      20.7 KB · Views: 114

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    One FFL I use is nice enough to supply a lock with the gun purchase, as long as you take it out with you as you stow your gun in your vehicle. Then you just bring it back in & give it back to the dealer. Easy peasy!

charliem

Jun 28, 2015
    I need a barrel for a 380 will the 9mm be acceptable to pick up my gun? I am supposed to pick it up on Monday the 28th.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I need a barrel for a 380 will the 9mm be acceptable to pick up my gun? I am supposed to pick it up on Monday the 28th.

Not sure what you mean by needing a .380 barrel. But in answer to your question a 9MM and .380 are the same bore diameter so the 9mm lock should be fine. I have 2 different brands and one lists 9mm on the label and the other lists all guns of that bore, .380, .38,.357, 9mm etc.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    One FFL I use is nice enough to supply a lock with the gun purchase, as long as you take it out with you as you stow your gun in your vehicle. Then you just bring it back in & give it back to the dealer. Easy peasy!

Brian at South Carroll Sporting Goods did the same for me once when I forgot to bring the gun lock with me. He loaned me one and I mailed it back to him the next day. He's a great guy and I highly recommend him if anyone is looking for an FFL. And he is an IP as well on MDS.

Cal68

ortoch

Feb 14, 2013
    lookkng to borrow a 9mm bore lock please message me if I can come borrow it to pick up a gun at 2a in jessup

Thanks! James

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom