• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So I have an old '80s AR and want to upgrade/spec it out any suggestions on uppers, preferably piston, possibly in a bigger caliber?

Stay away from piston ARs. For larger caliber 7.62x39 for inexpensive fun, 6.8 for hunting, and 300AAC for tacticool factor.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Buy a Colt ar15 for ~1050 and never look back,

Umm, no. At that price your paying for the pony on the side. I have less than that total invested into my spikes AR including all the magpul and knights armament goodies on it and I'd trust it every bit as much as a colt.

Of course I'll stand by my earlier statement that the mini-14 sounds perfect for what the op wants. It's unfortunate that we can't have a civil discussion about the mini-14 anymore without somebody starting the AR argument.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    Umm, no. At that price your paying for the pony on the side. I have less than that total invested into my spikes AR including all the magpul and knights armament goodies on it and I'd trust it every bit as much as a colt.

Of course I'll stand by my earlier statement that the mini-14 sounds perfect for what the op wants. It's unfortunate that we can't have a civil discussion about the mini-14 anymore without somebody starting the AR argument.

Thats your opinion. I will pay 1050 for a weapon made by the same people that make the rifles issued to every service of the US military. F$%^ Spikes

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Thats your opinion. I will pay 1050 for a weapon made by the same people that make the rifles issued to every service of the US military. F$%^ Spikes

9stp2o.jpg

:lol2: Will you AR guys get the **** out of here? :rofl:

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    I have never owned a rifle and will just be using it for target practice and fun. Price is a big thing for me, and $800 is about the most I can spend right now. I know this is newbie talk, but what are the rules and regs. for these guns (AR/Mini) in Maryland? Would I have any issues if I ordered this online?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56841

Since it is a folding stock version it will require a 7 day waiting period. Other than that your good. If its a fixed or telescopic stock its cash and carry.

As for AR15's they are all regulated and require a 7day waiting period except for Heavy Barrel versions in which case the lower receiver and/or barrel I think has to be clearly marked HBAR and it is cash and carry.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I have never owned a rifle and will just be using it for target practice and fun. Price is a big thing for me, and $800 is about the most I can spend right now. I know this is newbie talk, but what are the rules and regs. for these guns (AR/Mini) in Maryland? Would I have any issues if I ordered this online?

AR's: Regulated. Require a 7-10 wait for paperwork/background check....UNLESS its considered an "HBAR" heavy barreled. The HBARS are over the counter sold, same day, cash and carry with just a NICS background check.

The mini is also cash and carry ( such as the ranch rifle model ). The one you posted in your link has a folding stock, and I believe that may make it have the 7-10 day wait....Maybe someone can confirm this. Either way, ordering a rifle/firearm over the net has to be shipped to your local FFL where you request....as far as I know.

If youre set on a mini, and dont want a wait, buy a standard stock model and upgrade the stock yourself. The stock on that mini in the link, dont cost very much, and is made by ATI.

Wish I could help ya more. My help is worth about as much as you paid for it LOL.. Maybe someone else will chime in and maybe pick up something I forgot.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    AR's: Regulated. Require a 7-10 wait for paperwork/background check....UNLESS its considered an "HBAR" heavy barreled. The HBARS are over the counter sold, same day, cash and carry with just a NICS background check.

The mini is also cash and carry ( such as the ranch rifle model ). The one you posted in your link has a folding stock, and I believe that may make it have the 7-10 day wait....Maybe someone can confirm this. Either way, ordering a rifle/firearm over the net has to be shipped to your local FFL where you request....as far as I know.

If youre set on a mini, and dont want a wait, buy a standard stock model and upgrade the stock yourself. The stock on that mini in the link, dont cost very much, and is made by ATI.

Wish I could help ya more. My help is worth about as much as you paid for it LOL.. Maybe someone else will chime in and maybe pick up something I forgot.

Yes the folding stock makes it a regulated 7 day wait sale

Yes all firearms ordered online have to be shipped to an FFL for an NICS check

Yes he should just buy a fixed stock version and install the folding stock himself after the fact if he wants to avoid the waiting period. IMO that folding stock is uglier than sin anyways :innocent0

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Mini 14's just look cool! OP, for your budget, both would fall into that range (AR or Mini.) I don't think you would go wrong with either.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

That looks like a great deal. I am not sure if that would be regd or not. If it is and it's an issue for you then go to Wal Mart and then buy your stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom