• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have tried several IPs to no avail and now I am asking for recommendations here.

I have a Remington 700 in .270Win on which I want to recrown the barrel. I have recrowned my own barrels before but I do not have access to a lathe anymore.

If anyone has a lathe or access to one I would like to use it.

If I end up having to pay a gunsmith to do this I am ok with that but I would like it to be local-ish to the Columbia, MD area.

help.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Not sure what you consider local to Columbia but Hafer's in Hagerstown or bollingers in taneytown would be my first stops.

Scott's does great work and is highly regarded too, just personally have never had work done there.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I have tried several IPs to no avail and now I am asking for recommendations here.

I have a Remington 700 in .270Win on which I want to recrown the barrel. I have recrowned my own barrels before but I do not have access to a lathe anymore.

Have you thought about doing it with a hand-turned crown-cutting tool? Here's one from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ing-cutters/45-chamfer-cutters-prod41716.aspx

I've also seen techniques described on the web of using a brass round-head screw in a hand-drill with lapping compound. Brownell's also sells a commercial tool to do the same job:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ap-set-non-handled-sku080764000-855-3220.aspx

For $14 bucks, it might be worth a try.

JoeR

Joe

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    if you have a drill press and a means to secure the gun perpendicular, as well as a brass pilot rod, it's no big deal.

I've re-crowned a couple of guns this way, all have been better shooters

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    John at Duffy's Gun Room. An IP here. I can't say enough good about the (fairly complicated) work he's done for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom