• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's a double-edged sword, he can actually do some good at reigning in some of the uninitiated - however, he does miss a fair bit of stuff when it's cold because he's yakking someone up and not observing what's happening.

Although, since volunteer RSO's are a no-go, he shouldn't be acting as one to begin with - but that's a diff't can of worms altogether.

He also has a very bad habit of stapling multiple targets to a stand outside of the designated strike zone, which gives other people the idea that they can do the same thing.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    He also has a very bad habit of stapling multiple targets to a stand outside of the designated strike zone, which gives other people the idea that they can do the same thing.

Which is funny, because last time I was there (9/30, IIRC) he was specifically telling people NOT to do that. Go figure.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    While we're on the subject of etiquette and safety while the range is cold, what's the common practice for laying out and putting away weapons? I've always unpacked my stuff while the range is cold, and I've done the same when packing up. After all the discussion on the past few pages about only handling the weapons when the range is hot, I'm wondering if I'd doing something wrong.

How else are you supposed to do it, especially if you're taking a guy's place during the break or vice versa?

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    While we're on the subject of etiquette and safety while the range is cold, what's the common practice for laying out and putting away weapons? I've always unpacked my stuff while the range is cold, and I've done the same when packing up. After all the discussion on the past few pages about only handling the weapons when the range is hot, I'm wondering if I'd doing something wrong.

How else are you supposed to do it, especially if you're taking a guy's place during the break or vice versa?

Me personally i do not have an issue with putting away or taking out weapons during a cold, make sure they are handled in a safe manner and direction. As long as you are not in a firing position or looking like you are or putting your weapon in a ready to fire status during a cold i can deal with you moving weapons around. Alot of people use the cold to change out weapons.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Me personally i do not have an issue with putting away or taking out weapons during a cold, make sure they are handled in a safe manner and direction. As long as you are not in a firing position or looking like you are or putting your weapon in a ready to fire status during a cold i can deal with you moving weapons around. Alot of people use the cold to change out weapons.

Wong, you should not touch any firearm while the range is cold!

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Wong, you should not touch any firearm while the range is cold!

We will have to disagree on this one. You are going to tell someone they can not bring down there weapon to the range from the parking lot during a cold. You are not going to let someone leave the range with a weapon during a cold, it wont be long before someone tells you where to go.

As i said as long as the weapon is not being prepaired to fire, you are in a firing position or you pointing it down range like you are going to fire. It isnt unsafe.

Remember we get a lot of people from all walks of life that come down to shoot or sight in before hunting and not everyone can afford a proper case to make people warm and fuzzy

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Under normal conditions, the safest times for a weapon is being taken or put in a case for transport. Law requires the weapon to be unloaded so resonalble minded people will make sure the weapon is unloaded so they wont get locked up.

The next time when cleaning (muzzle pointed up) we are all tought to make sure the weapon is unloaded and magazine removed before cleaning.

The only true safe way to go down range is to have no weapons on the table at all. They should be put away or in racks, but that isnt going to happen

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    rule 10

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=5686&highlight=myrtle+grove

100 Yard Range
    1. All targets must be attached to the target frames provided and placed down range within the guides provided. (See target frame use explanation)
    2. Target frames must be returned to the shooting table when you are finished.
    3. Only paper or cardboard targets may be used.
    4. No shooting at or attaching targets to baffles or support posts.
    5. One shooter allowed per table, one table per shooter. 8 shooters maximum at any one time.
    6. No loaded firearms behind or foreword of shooting area.
    7. Rate of fire is limited to 1 round per second.
    8. Any shooter may request a cease fire at any time.
    9. The line will be called "Hot" only by consensus of all shooters.
    10. All firearms are to be unloaded with breech or action open when shooters are down range. Handling of firearms is prohibited while anyone is down range.
    11. Firearms may only be loaded while the range is "Hot", including loading a charge in a muzzleloader.
    12. Muzzleloader caps may only be fired when.the range is "Hot"

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    We will have to disagree on this one. You are going to tell someone they can not bring down there weapon to the range from the parking lot during a cold. You are not going to let someone leave the range with a weapon during a cold, it wont be long before someone tells you where to go.

As i said as long as the weapon is not being prepaired to fire, you are in a firing position or you pointing it down range like you are going to fire. It isnt unsafe.

Remember we get a lot of people from all walks of life that come down to shoot or sight in before hunting and not everyone can afford a proper case to make people warm and fuzzy

coming or leaving is different than putting away and taking out...if the stuff is already packed up...leave...if its packed up and you are just arriving stand in line or jump on a free table...

the difference is when its cold and people are packing(Handling weapons) is a no-no...or vice versa people jumping on a table and unpacking (handling weapons) on a cold range= breaking rules.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Would it make sense then for me to set up my targets, organize my ammo, etc. while the range is cold, then -- and only then -- get my guns out after the range goes hot? It gets a bit trickier when you leave, as the guy taking your table expects to be able to start shooting once the range is hot again, not wait around for you to pack up your guns after it's hot.

FWIW, I usually get my guns out while it's cold, but all I do it take them out of the case, point the muzzle up, open the action, check to be sure it's clear, and lay it on the table. I suppose that's technically not what I'm supposed to do, but it seems like "everyone does it that way.":confused:

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia

I didnt say any of the things you read into my post. And IMO if you cant afford a $10 case from walmart or a gun sock you need to find a different hobby. If you handle a gun and muzzle sweep me, the first time I will be pissed the 2nd you will be on your butt (no swearing on this board is hampering my ability to convey my thoughts on this). Follow life safety rule number 1, "Treat every firearm as if it were loaded."

Under no circumstance should someone handle a firearm while people are down range! When the range goes hot feel free to pack up. If I am down range and some one is fiddling with a weapon I ALWAYS ASSUME IT IS LOADED (ie LIFE SAFETY RULE NUMBER 1) and I will not be a happy camper. :mad54:

This is unbelievable that I even have to type this. :sad20:

I am however perfectly fine with holstered handguns, heck if you have a sling and sling your rifle thats fine with me too. But if you set it down dont touch it until the range goes hot. Every class I have been to the range has been hot, ie we eat lunch, talk, go take a piss, or whatever with hot handguns. . . but the classes I take play by big boy rules. A holstered handgun is safe and a slung rifle is the same as a holstered handgun, cased arms are safe as well (this one is obvious but some people surprise me so I included it).

Myrtle Grove plays by the lowest common denominator, hence the strict range rules. But it doesnt matter what I think, when it comes to Myrtle Grove the range rules are specific and have been posted previously, read them. . . twice. The range rules are a complete separate entity from the life safety rules. The life safety rules apply everywhere whether they are written down as part of the range rules or not. While range specific rules apply to that range only.

--------------------------------
    About transitioning to the next shooter: Its very simple.
    Either foresee that you are going to leave, pack up your gun then call the range cold (remember anyone can call cold at any time). Get your targets and vacate the position.

OR, this is what I do just about every time I am at this particular range:
    When the range goes cold, retrieve your target. The next people in line set up their target. Range then goes hot, you case your firearm and vacate. By the time the range goes hot all my other junk is already packed up, so all I need to do is stick my gun in its case and get out of the way. The next people in line can then unpack their crap and, since their target is already set up, can commence firing away.

Rant/kind advice, over. . . I think.

One other thing, before you even pack up your arms at home or uncase your arms at the range your should run through the life safety rules in your head. I also run through them verbally if I am shooting with anyone else and make them repeat them with me, heck sometimes I say them out loud when I am by myself just to keep them ingrained in my brain. I also go through them when I put my gun on in the morning when I conceal carry.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Either foresee that you are going to leave, pack up your gun then call the range cold (remember anyone can call cold at any time). Get your targets and vacate the position.

When the range goes cold, retrieve your target. The next people in line set up their target. Range then goes hot, you case your firearm and vacate. By the time the range goes hot all my other junk is already packed up, so all I need to do is stick my gun in its case and get out of the way. The next people in line can then unpack their crap and, since their target is already set up, can commence firing away.

Rant/kind advice, over. . . I think.

Makes sense. Thanks.

=

This is how I normally do things. Not only follows all the rules, but is the courteous thing to do, for the next guy in line. It's also efficient. If you have 3 guys waiting in line, just to sight in their shotguns for deer season, cycle them through and that allows the guys that want to shoot more, to stay. They shoot a couple of hot cycles, then leave. It's irritating to try to be the bigger person, and remind someone of the rules when there is only one guy waiting. The guy has been waiting for a while, I'm only an hour in and some asshat has been there for 3 hours and now won't budge. Remind him of the rules and he shows you that he suffers from a rectal cranial inversion. A guy that comes to the range with cardboard, a staple gun, a spotting scope and knowing he doesn't need to bring his own rest....has been there before and most likely knows the rules. When it comes down to confrontation, I usually just pack up and leave first.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I brought a friend from UK today for a little trigger time. She was shooting great and we were having a good time around friendly people.

And then Yogi showed up. I got tired of the rape whistle and packed up. He got butt hurt because I did not announce to all the precise time I was planning on leaving. When I put the firearms in the case and threw away trash should have been a clue. He basically bowled over my friend while she was carrying a rifle case and ammo to claim my empty table.

His behavior is completely unnecessary.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I knew she wasn't from around here..., hope she had fun - Yogi antics aside.

He muttered the whole time I was on lane 8, kept distracting me. Finally packed out after about .5 hour of it.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I knew she wasn't from around here..., hope she had fun - Yogi antics aside.

He muttered the whole time I was on lane 8, kept distracting me. Finally packed out after about .5 hour of it.

Ya know, Yogi is a nice guy who is just trying to help. He is more than willing to call someone on thier BS, which means I don't have to do it. He was giving my daughter unsolicited handgun handling advice, but again, I just chalk it up to he means well. She took it gracfully and she might have even learned a thing or two.

Ya know what would be cool is if the state of maryland would get off thier duffs and actually hire a couple of range officers to work there

BTW It was good to see you there brad, I wish I would have seen you down there earlier but I was kind focused on making sure my daughter stayed safe as she doesn't have that much range time under here belt.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As a person, I don't dislike Yogi - he's even helped my dad tighten up his handgun shooting and he generally does play RSO in the best of intentions. If some of the jokes or comments have alluded to something other than that, they weren't intended to be taken that way. :)

I may try to make it by later today, I got a gas-tank to replace on my truck first. Still getting these handloads worked out, would love to see the results of this batch.

rpker - If it wasn't for the MDS hat, I almost wouldn't have recognized you, been a while... :o. As long as your daughter was safe and enjoyed herself, that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    As a person, I don't dislike Yogi - he's even helped my dad tighten up his handgun shooting and he generally does play RSO in the best of intentions. If some of the jokes or comments have alluded to something other than that, they weren't intended to be taken that way. :)

I may try to make it by later today, I got a gas-tank to replace on my truck first. Still getting these handloads worked out, would love to see the results of this batch.

rpker - If it wasn't for the MDS hat, I almost wouldn't have recognized you, been a while... :o. As long as your daughter was safe and enjoyed herself, that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

Yeah the Navy has been pretty good at keeping me away from the range for a while and now they are going to ship my happy a$$ to Guam for permanant duty for a while. I MAY come back to MD in three years, but if and when I do come back I will probably look in VA first.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only downside to NoVA (IMO) - the traffic, if you can deal with that, your in good shape. I often wonder, why did I leave VA to live in MD again?? :lol2:

Guam..., how the hell did you manage that?

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Guam! Lord I would volunteer for the first carrier leaving Norfolk instead. I spent two years there, (VQ-1) with the EA-3B Whales in the '80's. What a place, tree snakes all over the place including in your house, no birds at all, snakes ate all them and their eggs, rainy season and dry season, sun up at 6 am, sun down at 6pm, year round, never seems to change. Only good part, I took my guns with me, hunted wild hogs, did a lot of shooting, Anderson's gun club had an FFL, we could buy guns right out of Shotgun News. Diving is fun, but the reef is dead from all the sewage leaks. I was lucky, PI was still open for business, Dets to Cubi a nice break. No more happy time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom