• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    He was bitching cause the target " didnt fit completely within the provided target stand". Which the target I was using did but the cardboard I attached it to didn't.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The target stands are there for a reason. To many people where shooting up the place needlessly and way to fast. The stands are designed to keep rounds going down the range so they hit the back stop and not into the ground. Even though some still do. The guy you talking about in Dan, he is the one that spends a lot of time each week making new stands so we can have them to hold our targets. Think how you would feel if you spent several days making something just to have someone come along and shoot it up the very next day because they are not willing to follow the rules. As for staples the stnads belong to myrtle grove and they say no stapling to the stands. If you or anyone else can not follow the simple rules and deal with them, maybe you should find another place to shoot!. Most of us we do not have anyother place and want to keep it open. We are follow the rules even though we do not like them all.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    The target stands are there for a reason. To many people where shooting up the place needlessly and way to fast. The stands are designed to keep rounds going down the range so they hit the back stop and not into the ground. Even though some still do. The guy you talking about in Dan, he is the one that spends a lot of time each week making new stands so we can have them to hold our targets. Think how you would feel if you spent several days making something just to have someone come along and shoot it up the very next day because they are not willing to follow the rules. As for staples the stnads belong to myrtle grove and they say no stapling to the stands. If you or anyone else can not follow the simple rules and deal with them, maybe you should find another place to shoot!. Most of us we do not have anyother place and want to keep it open. We are follow the rules even though we do not like them all.

Where does it say no staples?

ALL RANGES
    1. A Myrtle Grove WMA Shooting Range Permit is required for all users age 18 and older.
    2. Users under 18 years old must have a Hunter Safety Certificate and be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older who has a valid Range Permit.
    3. Alcohol and Drugs are prohibited at all times.
    4. Persons under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs are prohibited on the ranges.
    5. Firearms capable of discharging more than one round with a single trigger pull are prohibited. (Fully automatic)
    6. Use of eye and ear protection is required.
    7. Shooting time is restricted to one (1) hour when others are waiting.
    8. Range users are required to retrieve and remove all trash, targets and spent shells. Trashcans are provided at each range.
    9. Organized competitive shooting is prohibited.
    10. Shooting permitted only from designated shooting stations.

100 Yard Range
    1. All targets must be attached to the target frames provided and placed down range within the guides provided. (See target frame use explanation)
    2. Target frames must be returned to the shooting table when you are finished.
    3. Only paper or cardboard targets may be used.
    4. No shooting at or attaching targets to baffles or support posts.
    5. One shooter allowed per table, one table per shooter. 8 shooters maximum at any one time.
    6. No loaded firearms behind or foreword of shooting area.
    7. Rate of fire is limited to 1 round per second.
    8. Any shooter may request a cease fire at any time.
    9. The line will be called "Hot" only by consensus of all shooters.
    10. All firearms are to be unloaded with breech or action open when shooters are down range. Handling of firearms is prohibited while anyone is down range.
    11. Firearms may only be loaded while the range is "Hot", including loading a charge in a muzzleloader.
    12. Muzzleloader caps may only be fired when.the range is "Hot"

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The rules shouldnt have to say so, the target stands are desinged for targets to be put to the mash backing. If they wanted you to use staple cardbord to the frame they wouldnt putout the expence of the mesh backing on the targets stanfs or the pins to attach the targets with.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    The rules shouldnt have to say so, the target stands are desinged for targets to be put to the mash backing. If they wanted you to use staple cardbord to the frame they wouldnt putout the expence of the mesh backing on the targets stanfs or the pins to attach the targets with.

Last week was the first time I had seen mesh backing on the targets. Some people tried to use clips to attach their targets to it, only to have them blow off once we went hot, due to it being quite windy down range.

Is it posted somewhere that clips should be used in place of staples/cardboard? I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    We could argue this all day and i doubt it will lead to any place.
    The mesh is always on the stands, after a few days it tends to get shot up. They want the targes in the center of the stand so the rounds will go straight back into the backstop. When people put up cardbord like you they tend to put targets all over the place and the rounds do not alway go straght down range.

The simple fact is the people thart run the range doesnt want the use of full size cardbord and they said so, this should be enough for us.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    If I had somewhere else to shoot trust me I would. I have no problem with the rules but as previously stated I see nowhere where it says no staples. Putting staples in the frame is alot different than putting bullets thru it. I understand the whole Dan took the time to build them and not wanting to keep building new ones. Yes that sucks but that is part of working and maintaining a public range. Until there is some form of permanate rso down there to make sure people aren't blowing them to shit there will be a need for new stands.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The mesh is always on the stands, after a few days it tends to get shot up. They want the targes in the center of the stand so the rounds will go straight back into the backstop. When people put up cardbord like you they tend to put targets all over the place and the rounds do not alway go straght down range.

The simple fact is the people thart run the range doesnt want the use of full size cardbord and they said so, this should be enough for us.

If the cardboard overlaps the frame then the targets probably will also leading to the frame being ruined

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Simply put, MG is what it is, with the current management - this is about the best we're going to have it. The person that truly oversees MG would like nothing else than to have it closed all but for one month a year - that is no BS, he has said it before, and it is what he'd love to see. The manager is not a friend of shooters.

So it's simple, keep your targets within the mesh area, regardless of what you see other shipdits doing, if it's really windy, do what we do - bring duct tape - it doesn't damage the stands in any way (which they're already over their budget on, having to repair/rebuild them every few days) - I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls, but this is the simple reality we're facing.

Over-budget, crowded, and run by some fool that would love to shut it down - so, as much as we may not like some of the rules (posted or not), this is what we have to deal with to keep it open.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL

Simply put, MG is what it is, with the current management - this is about the best we're going to have it. The person that truly oversees MG would like nothing else than to have it closed all but for one month a year - that is no BS, he has said it before, and it is what he'd love to see. The manager is not a friend of shooters.

So it's simple, keep your targets within the mesh area, regardless of what you see other shipdits doing, if it's really windy, do what we do - bring duct tape - it doesn't damage the stands in any way (which they're already over their budget on, having to repair/rebuild them every few days) - I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls, but this is the simple reality we're facing.

Over-budget, crowded, and run by some fool that would love to shut it down - so, as much as we may not like some of the rules (posted or not), this is what we have to deal with to keep it open.

I have no problem following a range rule, or correcting others for that matter. The problem is that it is not posted anywhere, and not everyone who uses the range is a member of MDS and privy to this thread. You can't just call someone a "shipdit" for not following a rule that isn't posted anywhere reasonable. The next time you see one of the "shipdits" not following one of the (seemingly many) unwritten rules, maybe you could let them know. That way there would be less 40 min lectures from the range overseers, sure glad I wasn't there for that one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The other problem is that not everyone that uses MG gives a crap about the rules (or where their rounds are going for that matter), I do my best to correct issues/people if/when I see them occur, those that refuse to comply get the title of 'shipdit' (especially when I try to help someone and get met by an attitude).

'Yogi', for all the help he can be, is one of them - he's been informed numerous times about posting cardboard/targets all over the frame/stand, and hogging the table - he has yet to comply on either front. Which is doubly undesireable because other people think it's an acceptable way of doing things, when it isn't.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, and this MONITORED thread hasn't helped us out on a few occasions either.

By monitored I mean people in Annapolis, that directly deal with/run MG.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This is true. A couple of years ago we had a range cleanup and the officials flipped.

It's been attempted to be used as ammo to get a certain bearded friend of the range to either be fired/forced to retire.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have no problem following a range rule, or correcting others for that matter. The problem is that it is not posted anywhere, and not everyone who uses the range is a member of MDS and privy to this thread. You can't just call someone a "shipdit" for not following a rule that isn't posted anywhere reasonable. The next time you see one of the "shipdits" not following one of the (seemingly many) unwritten rules, maybe you could let them know. That way there would be less 40 min lectures from the range overseers, sure glad I wasn't there for that one.

Some things in life just don,t need to be writen down for most of us. there is nothing in the rules stating that you can stand at the tables and shoot, but it is allowed. nothing stating you can shoot from prone but you can. just like the orange mesh and pins it is (or shold be) comon sence that they are to be used. and not cardbord stapled to the stands.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    All of this being true and actual, there are times (quite often) that the only recourse is to staple cardboard to the destroyed stands for the sheer fact that they are falling (blown) apart and need mended back together.

This is a direct condition of people not following the range rules or just being assholes and directing fire AT the stands.

Use the mesh and clothespins. If the target stands are destroyed, staple cardboard, just keep the targets stapled well within the confines of where the mesh should be.

Dan has seen me do it several times and said it was fine because I was following the spirit of the rule, keeping it aimed at the backstop, THROUGH the mesh area.

Honestly, the only reason he even brought it up was to set the tone before moving on to Yogi, who WAS stapling targets TO the stand itself. A yelling match between them always seems to ensue when both are present.:sad20:

As for whoever called in about being hit by brass, they need to get their big boy pants on and realize they're at a ****ing shooting range. :smack:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom