• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Good for you!

Stick with it. It's one of the few things you can share with them at any age.

As I get older, and the kids are in their twenties, the days of shooting hoops and chasing them around the yard are over.

But there is always a day at the range!

:)

Lord Baltimore

Aug 26, 2010
    I think the Papoose is a collapsible version of the Model 60, that breaks down for easier transport.

My son asked yesterday if I would take him back to the range this weekend for his second time shooting. So, this afternoon we went over to Continental with the Marlin Model 60, and I helped him throw 300 rounds of .22lr downrange.

We have been watching Top Shot on TV. I think my son thought the last episode was cool when they were using a Ruger .22 to take down the "shooting gallery". I think he felt extra good about our Model 60, after seeing all these Special Ops/Marksman guys using a similiar gun, and saying they all had a .22 rifle at home. Top Shot is a good show, and good for promoting our sport.
    '
    We tried different distances, used the Birchwood Casey "Shoot and C" targets for sale at Continental (they are what they use on Top Shots, self adhesive targets in day glow colors, when you hit them it leaves a big bright ring, they are fun and make it easier for you to see your hits with the naked eye) and had a father/son shooting competition.

Afterwards we spent about an hour checking out and handlng all the tactical weapons they had in the store.

I think he had a really good time.:)

Last edited:

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Good job, Dad - I started late in the game and have only taken my son shooting once (at age 19) but better late than never. My stepdaughter is going to learn this Spring/Summer. She, too likes Top Shot and I'll take her interest in firearms any way I can get it.

Hope you took or do take some pictures - they'll be important to him later on.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good Job! One know your son best, but FWIW , I started at 7yo , and wife was started by her father at 8yo. Our kids we didn't wait that long.

And don't make gender assumptions. While they are both trained in the basics, it is my daughter that takes to shooting , and handloading as a hobby.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Craig glad I saw this thread.
    Betting your son was talking about his first shoot the rest of the day:)

Strange but I can still remeber my first time shooting with my dad 50 years ago.
    My Uncles farm,shooting across the ditch at an old licence plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom