MSP: FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCT 1 WON'T NEED HQL

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Unless I missed it i don't remember seeing it on the one i filled out. I could be wrong.

Nope, she was being a bit tongue in cheek. They don't exist yet and sounds like they won't exist on 10/1/13.....not that anyone could fill one out. Guess they are factoring in an additional 30 days to get those forms out because they know nobody will be able to buy!

Vassago

Sep 23, 2013
    MoCo
    Nope, she was being a bit tongue in cheek. They don't exist yet and sounds like they won't exist on 10/1/13.....not that anyone could fill one out. Guess they are factoring in an additional 30 days to get those forms out because they know nobody will be able to buy!

So how would a FFL record a person's HQL number before release; and if the AG subpoenaed the records for people that did pick them up without HQL's all FFL's wouldnt have done it the same way.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So how would a FFL record a person's HQL number before release; and if the AG subpoenaed the records for people that did pick them up without HQL's all FFL's wouldnt have done it the same way.

Just like the FFL's do now. Xerox a copy of your HQL ID (photo ID).

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

I personally know of a few people who fit the exception to the hql, and can purchase on Oct 1 or after.

Last edited:

rickabt

Jul 9, 2013
    Nottingham/Perry Hall
    I just got off the phone with Senator Klausmeier's office. They were unaware of this confusion but advised me that they have received several messages and e-mail regarding the matter. I filled them in with great detail as to the issue. They advised me that they will work on getting some kind of clarification as to what the hell is going on and will get back to me. I will pass on what I find.

rickabt

Jul 9, 2013
    Nottingham/Perry Hall
    I just got off the phone with Senator Klausmeier's office. They were unaware of this confusion but advised me that they have received several messages and e-mail regarding the matter. I filled them in with great detail as to the issue. They advised me that they will work on getting some kind of clarification as to what the hell is going on and will get back to me. I will pass on what I find.

I received a callback from Senator Klausmeier's office. They spoke with their contact at the MSP who advised them that it is the policy of the MSP, AS THE AGENCY TASKED WITH THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS PURCHASES IN THE STATE OF MD, that handguns with paperwork pending before October 1 will be treated as legal for release after Oct 1. They further stated that no other law enforcement agency can make a practical legal argument that the gun purchaser or FFL have violated the law (even though they clearly have done so according to the letter of the law) when they, as the official regulating agency, have advised both the purchaser and the FFL that the transfer shall be considered proper. I was further told that there probably will be no further communications regarding this from the MSP, AG office, or MOM...because they see the matter as adequately explained.
    I am not an attny or a politician....but this seems like a sloppy way of implementing a new law.....But this is the information that I was given.
    Please don't shoot the messenger! lol

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I received a callback from Senator Klausmeier's office. They spoke with their contact at the MSP who advised them that it is the policy of the MSP, AS THE AGENCY TASKED WITH THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS PURCHASES IN THE STATE OF MD, that handguns with paperwork pending before October 1 will be treated as legal for release after Oct 1. They further stated that no other law enforcement agency can make a practical legal argument that the gun purchaser or FFL have violated the law (even though they clearly have done so according to the letter of the law) when they, as the official regulating agency, have advised both the purchaser and the FFL that the transfer shall be considered proper. I was further told that there probably will be no further communications regarding this from the MSP, AG office, or MOM...because they see the matter as adequately explained.
    I am not an attny or a politician....but this seems like a sloppy way of implementing a new law.....But this is the information that I was given.
    Please don't shoot the messenger! lol

It did not work in CA ... 2,500 guns were confiscated

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    California is actually eerily similar to Maryland. Two main population hubs, San Francisco and Los Angeles, have enough votes in the legislature to essentially rule the entire state. Outside of these two population centers, the state is very concentrated in agribusiness, far mini and ranching, and fishing. The people outside these centers are not much different than the Eastern Shore or even western Maryland. Plus, these people are direct descendants of true frontiersmen with that freedom loving spirit that took their great grandfathers out there in 1849 to begin with.

There are true 2A defenders out there, they have simply been muzzled by politics no different than our own issues here.

Thank you -

Very accurate. The 2 Liberal controlled Population hubs run roughshod over the wishes of the rest of the state.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Here's how I see it. The MSP wil NOT be ready to implement the HQL come oct 1. They will NOT be ready to have the required 77rs done electronically as per new law. How do they get through this problem?, easy. By allowing you to pick up handguns after oct 1 for prior Oct 1 purchases they don't need the electronic 77r right away. Buys them time. The new 77r s were just released this week. Not electronic but the same paper form as before only 3 parts now. They wil keep the old 77r's in use after oct 1 when they foresee an injunction By the courts on this nonsense. There is a method to their madness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom