MSP: FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCT 1 WON'T NEED HQL

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    That is the thing, the Maryland State Police are picking and choosing which laws they will enforce.

Who gave them that power to decide over what is best for us? It is not their job!

No different than Obama and Holder saying "we won't enforce immigration law" and handing out exemptions left and right for O-care.

We are all shocked that the executive branch vetoes laws after the fact so as to be politically expedient? This is how the progressives function!

We should have a legislator who helped pass this mess sue the Gov and MSP to enforce this aspect of the new law as we sue for the overall law.

They made their bed, now make them lie in it.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    So MSP can just decide that MURDER is OK in MD? They do not answer to anybody?
    A Trooper deciding who gets a ticket is not the same as the MSP making a blanket statement that there are no speed limits in MD.

Are they now going to suspend enforcement of wearing/carrying a handgun without a permit?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Is this not the very definition of a Fascist state??

Totalitarian, arbitrary rulemaking under the guise of a free society?

When we're dealing with a Progressive administration controlling complicit legislators and compliant agencies??

Yeah......

You are factually accurate, but facts matter not to Big Brother, for we had always been at war with East Asia.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Someone please refresh for us the prongs that must be satisfied to pierce qualified immunity under the civil rights act, and then apply that knowledge to the current topic at hand... :innocent0

Acting outside the bounds of the law and/or an intentions and willful deprivation of civil rights?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    We have all heard the saying "A Man is only as good as his word"
    What does this say to the MSP authorities who SWORE an oath to uphold the laws of this State and now give a blanket statement that it is "OK to break the law, we just don't care?"
    Makes you wonder what else "they just don't care about?"

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    We have all heard the saying "A Man is only as good as his word"
    What does this say to the MSP authorities who SWORE an oath to uphold the laws of this State and now give a blanket statement that it is "OK to break the law, we just don't care?"
    Makes you wonder what else "they just don't care about?"

Since this all indicates Maryland is a police state, maybe we should be more worried about what they are "caring" about? (Most of us sending plenty of sensitive information the last 6 months to these "policers.")

I live in Annapolis, walking around downtown, my skin crawls with the feeling I am surrounded by such corruption.

I never thought I could feel so uncomfortable in my state/town of choice.

zenMonkey

Patriot Picket
    Mar 30, 2013
    Whether or not the MSP will enforce this or not; or whether or not a State's Attorney would prosecute; or whether any sort of political/public/media fallout happens is irrelevent.

The only thing that matters is whether or not you have the personal integrity to follow the law, despite the fact that the government says they will turn a blind eye.

I agree with you 100%.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Someone please refresh for us the prongs that must be satisfied to pierce qualified immunity under the civil rights act, and then apply that knowledge to the current topic at hand... :innocent0

Had to look this up (and suggest others do also) but now understand where you're going with this :thumbsup:

Mr H

Banana'd
    California is actually eerily similar to Maryland. Two main population hubs, San Francisco and Los Angeles, have enough votes in the legislature to essentially rule the entire state. Outside of these two population centers, the state is very concentrated in agribusiness, far mini and ranching, and fishing. The people outside these centers are not much different than the Eastern Shore or even western Maryland. Plus, these people are direct descendants of true frontiersmen with that freedom loving spirit that took their great grandfathers out there in 1849 to begin with.

There are true 2A defenders out there, they have simply been muzzled by politics no different than our own issues here.

Saved me a lot of typing...

:D

NorCal is roughly analogous to WMD, and the Central Valleys much like Eastern Shore/SoMD

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    California is actually eerily similar to Maryland. Two main population hubs, San Francisco and Los Angeles, have enough votes in the legislature to essentially rule the entire state. Outside of these two population centers, the state is very concentrated in agribusiness, far mini and ranching, and fishing. The people outside these centers are not much different than the Eastern Shore or even western Maryland. Plus, these people are direct descendants of true frontiersmen with that freedom loving spirit that took their great grandfathers out there in 1849 to begin with.

There are true 2A defenders out there, they have simply been muzzled by politics no different than our own issues here.

Exactly Right.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Had to look this up (and suggest others do also) but now understand where you're going with this :thumbsup:

OK, I looked it up and found this:

http://reason.org/news/show/1013317.html

Quoted from above:

What’s certain is that between Richardson and Filarsky lies a substantial gray area, which will probably be the subject of substantial uncertainty and litigation in the years to come. - See more at: http://reason.org/news/show/1013317.html#sthash.CnErQTuG.dpuf

Which says as always, get a good lawyer!

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Got AGC email saying they strongly recommend you don't break the law. Again I say, you pick up on Oct 1 and don't have a HQL...you r breaking the law! And as others have pointed out - there is a paper trail. Bad idea

As I posted on another thread,

MY concern is simple. If down the road, we we end up with Attorney Genital Frosh, I believe he would go back and prosecute buyers that are on record as to breaking the law.

I was going to buy one or two more this weekend but create a paper trail of a violation of the law? I don't think so, Gbh don't play that.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Advisory notices do not have the force of law.

Look, I am not saying that people will actually be convicted. Especially in light of the MDSPs Advisory notice.

What I am saying is that we should expect the MDSP to follow the written law, even if we disagree with it.

Hum what happened to only following lawful orders. Just because the AG says its the law does not make it so. Msp is saying in essence we do not agree with the AG interpretation of the law.

Now you are correct its not binding. We need a court. -- so chill out and wait for the court.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    So the FFLs are breaking the law too? Let's here from them, what is their policy? Any FFLs want to share their opinions openly?

The law, as written, is very clear. If a handgun is transferred after 9/30/13, it is illegal. The fact that MSP is not enforcing it, doesn't change the fact that it is indeed illegal. The MSP cannot change the law as written. Only legislature can do that.

Now if you are talking practicality, I find it very unlikely that anyone will get in trouble for doing so, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I agree but if everyone is talking about taking the high road and integrity, isn't that kind of bass-ackwards?

Not at all. Having purchasers take the high road even though the MSP says they will not enforce is exactly what we are talking about.

Vassago

Sep 23, 2013
    MoCo
    This is very interesting on the current 77r it does not have a space for an HQL number does it? If yes then disregard; If not then how will the FFL record and account for the persons HQL on already pending paperwork?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is very interesting on the current 77r it does not have a space for an HQL number does it? If yes then disregard; If not then how will the FFL record and account for the persons HQL on already pending paperwork?

Copied from other thread.

In order to implement the new law provision, MSP should be/have distributed an addendum to existing 77R'a for span purchases for FFL's to record the HQL info, since the old form doesn't include this info. Where is that? Could this be part of the impetus for their decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom