• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm with you on this one. Your real estate license should be all that is needed. Its no different from a contractor who has his own business and does work for a general contractor. It makes him no less of a independent businesses owner.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm with you on this one. Your real estate license should be all that is needed. Its no different from a contractor who has his own business and does work for a general contractor. It makes him no less of a independent businesses owner.
    Agreed. He is less of an employee than a Mhic licensed salesperson. Likely less an employee than a mhic subcontractor also because he is responsible for his own advertising, and probably numerous other expenses.

I would have just formed a LLC or registered a trade name but that doesn't justify the crap Tim is going through.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    It comes up because the troopers ask. During my interview the he specifically asked, "how much CASH do you transport regularly" and, "of your deposits, what percentage is in CASH". I know that technically it shouldn't matter, but the troopers think it does. That's why it keeps coming up. Copies of deposit slips and my shop invoices weren't enough. They want to know about the green stuff.

It only comes up because it's on the interview form, along with what type of firearm do you plan to carry.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I just send a message to dllr to get the Maryland law/code that defines an independent contractor. Maybe this will educate the state police.

That's a waste of time IMHO.

IRS Federal Regulations and federal and state case law define independent contractor and employee.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Even the police don't want us to carry. Surprising huh?
    Assuming you are being sarcastic.

They (majority if them) have never wanted anyone to carry. Between that, and the job security of being total dicks and taking weeks and months to do these "investigations"........ it's fairly obvious.

Let's consider this. Why would someone (me for instance) need to submit all this documentation on what business(es) or properties they own? It should take anyone with half a brain and an Internet connection about 25 minutes flat to establish who is a principal or resident agent of a Maryland based corporation, no criminal justice degree or hard copy proof from the applicant should be required.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County

They (majority if them) have never wanted anyone to carry. Between that, and the job security of being total dicks and taking weeks and months to do these "investigations"........ it's fairly obvious.

Let's consider this. Why would someone (me for instance) need to submit all this documentation on what business(es) or properties they own? It should take anyone with half a brain and an Internet connection about 25 minutes flat to establish who is a principal or resident agent of a Maryland based corporation, no criminal justice degree or hard copy proof from the applicant should be required.

25 minutes? That's pretty damned generous.

5 minutes....if even that!

Bradw410

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 11, 2012
    Easton

I wasn't being sarcastic,I agree with you. I am for constitutional carry. If you pass the NICS check you should be good to go. I think I understood your post correctly the titos and a long day is taking affect:lol2:

tridentmp30

Jan 26, 2015
    But the requirements state business owner, not subcontractor. I would say a real estate agent is a sub contractor and the broker is the business owner. Before I was a registered business owner in this state, I was a licensed sub contractor. Am I correct that the checks you receive are from the broker? Do you receive checks from anyone else? If not, then you are a subcontractor. If you receive checks from a multitude of customers like your broker does, you would be a business owner.

I have subcontractors that work for me, carpet guys, Drywall guys ect, they all are licensed subcontractors, I also have licensed plumbers and electricians that do work for me, they re registered business owners. The only difference, is that the subcontractor (you) has to do work through a licensed contractor (broker) to get paid, and the plumber (broker) can do work directly for the customer because he is a business owner and licensed to do so.

I understand you are a self employed person, but it says business owner, not self employed person. That is a big difference. I am not arguing, just stating why I think there is a problem. I am all for you getting your ccw.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    It only comes up because it's on the interview form, along with what type of firearm do you plan to carry.

that was one of the questions during my interrogation..I mean interview about what firearm I intended to carry. cant wait to move out of this hellhole.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Did you have the balls to call him out on it or contact a supervisor in the licensing division? Just because the trooper that gets assigned the task of interviewing you decides he needs this information doesn't make it so.
    Has having the balls to call out any LEO on anything ever actually worked in your favor?

This type of tactic just does not seem like a good approach in an interview with a state trooper while trying to get a carry permit. In court with a lawyer maybe, but not in an interview for a W&C permit. I mean, what exactly would you say....excuse me Trooper so-n-so but I am not required to and will not give you any of this information that you are asking me for. How much longer do you think that interview would last?

Even if the trooper assigned the task of interviewing you does not need this information what are you going to say to him when he asks foir it?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    But the requirements state business owner, not subcontractor. I would say a real estate agent is a sub contractor and the broker is the business owner. Before I was a registered business owner in this state, I was a licensed sub contractor. Am I correct that the checks you receive are from the broker? Do you receive checks from anyone else? If not, then you are a subcontractor. If you receive checks from a multitude of customers like your broker does, you would be a business owner.

I have subcontractors that work for me, carpet guys, Drywall guys ect, they all are licensed subcontractors, I also have licensed plumbers and electricians that do work for me, they re registered business owners. The only difference, is that the subcontractor (you) has to do work through a licensed contractor (broker) to get paid, and the plumber (broker) can do work directly for the customer because he is a business owner and licensed to do so.

I understand you are a self employed person, but it says business owner, not self employed person. That is a big difference. I am not arguing, just stating why I think there is a problem. I am all for you getting your ccw.

I would agree with you in your explanation, but being self-employed, you do own your own business, just maybe not a company. Make sense? You don't need a company as an individual to conduct business. If the state police want to require owning a company, then that takes it to another level.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Has having the balls to call out any LEO on anything ever actually worked in your favor?

This type of tactic just does not seem like a good approach in an interview with a state trooper while trying to get a carry permit. In court with a lawyer maybe, but not in an interview for a W&C permit. I mean, what exactly would you say....excuse me Trooper so-n-so but I am not required to and will not give you any of this information that you are asking me for. How much longer do you think that interview would last?
    When I was told that my wife could not use her traning for her renewal because the MSP stated that it had to be taken within 1 year yet the law says 2 years, did I say "OK you're the boss"? No, I started making phone calls and now the MSP has fallen in line.

I've never led my life rolling over and I'm not starting now.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    By the way, when I submitted deposit slips with my application, I blacked out the starting amount and the account balance.
    When asked how much I normally deposit, I told them it runs from a couple of dollars to as much as thousands
    I hate auto correct..

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    When I was told that my wife could not use her traning for her renewal because the MSP stated that it had to be taken within 1 year yet the law says 2 years, did I say "OK you're the boss"? No, I started making phone calls and now the MSP has fallen in line.

I've never led my life rolling over and I'm not starting now.
    OK, but that's a little different than advising someone to have the balls and call out a trooper during a face to face interview and deny them an answer to their question.....don't you think?

Not talking about rolling over, just using a bit more tact than balls.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would agree with you in your explanation, but being self-employed, you do own your own business, just maybe not a company. Make sense? You don't need a company as an individual to conduct business. If the state police want to require owning a company, then that takes it to another level.

Let me play devil's advocate here. I own tons of companies in the form of stocks and mutual funds. I am also self employed. What about partners in a partnership. They are essentially owners of the partnership and are self employed too. Same goes for members of an LLC or stockholders of a small S Corp or C Corp.

Is being self employed all that is necessary to receive a CCW? I thought there had to be a little more to it than just being self employed and/or the owner of a business. Had a guy at the Howard County gun show a couple years ago tell me that he got a CCW because he is self employed, but he was restricted to only being able to carry while making deposits. So, he carried a de minimis check and deposit slip around with him every time he left the house. At some point, one is playing with fire with all this and runs the risk of being prohibited for life.

As far as having an LLC or S Corp, all of us sole proprietors might be running out and creating a pass through entity if SB282 gets passed and we get a tax credit for being the owner of a pass through entity. All smoke and mirrors, but the $300 a year for LLC/S Corp would be worth it for the tax credit. I wrote Senator Bates last week about the failure to include sole proprietors in the tax credit and I have yet to hear back from her.

Lastly, and most importantly, it is my opinion that we should all be allowed to carry, because God only knows when it will be needed. However, I do not make the laws or enforce the laws.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Let me play devil's advocate here. I own tons of companies in the form of stocks and mutual funds. I am also self employed. What about partners in a partnership. They are essentially owners of the partnership and are self employed too. Same goes for members of an LLC or stockholders of a small S Corp or C Corp.

Is being self employed all that is necessary to receive a CCW? I thought there had to be a little more to it than just being self employed and/or the owner of a business. Had a guy at the Howard County gun show a couple years ago tell me that he got a CCW because he is self employed, but he was restricted to only being able to carry while making deposits. So, he carried a de minimis check and deposit slip around with him every time he left the house. At some point, one is playing with fire with all this and runs the risk of being prohibited for life.

As far as having an LLC or S Corp, all of us sole proprietors might be running out and creating a pass through entity if SB282 gets passed and we get a tax credit for being the owner of a pass through entity. All smoke and mirrors, but the $300 a year for LLC/S Corp would be worth it for the tax credit. I wrote Senator Bates last week about the failure to include sole proprietors in the tax credit and I have yet to hear back from her.

Lastly, and most importantly, it is my opinion that we should all be allowed to carry, because God only knows when it will be needed. However, I do not make the laws or enforce the laws.

I also listed reasons in my application that had to do with financial transactions, safety concerns and some other things. Not just being self-employed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom