• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Yes, right now Montoya is getting a Knaub job.....
    In all fairness to Sgt. Knaub he denied my permit modification request in writing initially but then listened attentively during my informal review and granted the request. Obviously individual results may vary.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There are probably many reasons why some police offers want to deny responsible citizens their constitutional rights.

In the beginning, some offers have so much time, sweat and ego invested in training they feel that others should have the same before they carry.

With others, they have been involved in a shooting or maybe had a gun pointed at them and they have adopted a "it's me or them" survival attitude.

Still some others do whatever they are told by those that sign their paycheck, regardless of their oath or the US Constitution.

None of these make great police officers, and some have no business with Police powers.

The best cops are devoted public servants, protecting the weak, defending the innocent, and making the world a better place.

I don't pretend to understand all the dynamics involved (I'm sure some LEOs will chime in), but I regularly participate in ride-alongs in an attempt to educate myself about the LEO's perspective(s).

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    So could a house wife have their spouse provide a letter indicating they want them to have a permit?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    So could a house wife have their spouse provide a letter indicating they want them to have a permit?

I think that's why the MSP interview's the significant other.

That just demonstrates in a whole different way why the current handgun permit approval scheme is ridiculous.

What if the housewife's G&S is threats from the husband, who by policy must be interviewed in order for the wife to be approved?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In addition to Cypher's list of possable mindset of individual MSP , add simple inertia , ie " we've always done it like this " .

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    What is truly sad is the official position that the State has only denied X permits and only Y% of the population has even bothered to apply. The fallacy of those official statistics is that it completely ignores thousands... nay 10s of thousands of us who pay attention, see what the process is like (i.e. what folks like Tim have to go through), and realize that we don't have a snowball's chance in Hades of getting approved because nobody has formally threatened our lives yet... so we don't waste our time and money... and therefore we aren't reflected in the disapproval or application numbers. If the new administration wanted to get a better idea for the pent up demand for CCW permits, all it would take is a scientific poll or survey to show how many of us are waiting for the climate to change.

Self defense is an inalienable right not a privilege.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    I think that's why the MSP interview's the significant other.

That just demonstrates in a whole different way why the current handgun permit approval scheme is ridiculous.

What if the housewife's G&S is threats from the husband, who by policy must be interviewed in order for the wife to be approved?

that is stupid

do they investigate to see if this guy has multiple girlfriends, wives, lovers

if single, does your mom have to show up, maybe brothers. sisters, nieghbors

do they give the significant a polygraph test

do they come to the house and search it

do they copy your hard drive

WOW -- a security clearance to launch missiles is easier to get

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Didn't ISIS recently threaten all of Maryland? Isn't that G&S for everyone? :D

if isis attacked md the ga would cower and give them the damn state and all the people in it in trade for their own lives and flee. we are just peons and pawns to the "elite" in charge over us.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have an application pending. I provided more than 3 references. Everyone of the references called me afterwards and advised me the investigating trooper had called them. It's not on the application, but during my personal interview the trooper asked me if I was married, requested contact information for my wife, and they subsequently spoke by phone. I have nothing to hide, but it does seem the process goes out of its way to look under every rock and then some. So after being thoroughly vetted, and having fulfilled every one of the objective statutory and regulatory requirements, I still have no idea whether I will be approved or "not approved." Having satisfied all of the objective requirements I have been told informally that I shouldn't be "denied" or "rejected." Is that suppose to make me feel better? Is there a practical difference? Of course not. So until I get an official answer I will remain cautiously optimistic. The investigating trooper has been very professional during the entire process.

Last edited:

Marksman

I have an application pending. I provided more than 3 references. Everyone of the references called me afterwards and advised me the investigating trooper had called them. It's not on the application, but during my personal interview the trooper asked me if I was married, requested contact information for my wife, and they subsequently spoke by phone. I have nothing to hide, but it does seem the process goes out of its way to look under every rock and then some. So after being thoroughly vetted, and having fulfilled every one of the objective statutory and regulatory requirements, I still have no idea whether I will be approved or "not approved." Having satisfied all of the objective requirements I have been told informally that I shouldn't "denied" or "rejected." Is that suppose to make me feel better? Is there a practical difference? Of course not. So until I get an official answer I will remain cautiously optimistic. The investigating trooper has been very professional during the entire process.

What did you provide as G&S?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have an application pending. I provided more than 3 references. Everyone of the references called me afterwards and advised me the investigating trooper had called them. It's not on the application, but during my personal interview the trooper asked me if I was married, requested contact information for my wife, and they subsequently spoke by phone. I have nothing to hide, but it does seem the process goes out of its way to look under every rock and then some. So after being thoroughly vetted, and having fulfilled every one of the objective statutory and regulatory requirements, I still have no idea whether I will be approved or "not approved." Having satisfied all of the objective requirements I have been told informally that I shouldn't be "denied" or "rejected." Is that suppose to make me feel better? Is there a practical difference? Of course not. So until I get an official answer I will remain cautiously optimistic. The investigating trooper has been very professional during the entire process.
    G&S or general self defense?

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    It's not on the application, but during my personal interview the trooper asked me if I was married, requested contact information for my wife, and they subsequently spoke by phone.
    Same here except I'm divorced. They asked for my ex wifes information. I wish I had a heads up prior to this type of stuff. My ex and I are not on good terms, therefore a reason she wan't one of my references to begin with. I'm surprised she didn't throw me under the bus. She tried to bring up my exposing the kids to firearms (instruction) in a negative way during the divorce litigation. :sad20:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Did the troopers that spoke to your references tell them why you needed references? that you applied for a carry permit?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Did the troopers that spoke to your references tell them why you needed references? that you applied for a carry permit?

My investigator told one of my references I was applying because of my job. That is not actually true, as I am not applying to carry while at work, or based on a sponsorship by my employer, but rather (only in part) on the impact my job has of really pissing people off and making me more susceptible to out of the office danger. That makes me think the trooper doesn't really get my valid concern, but on the other hand the interviews with references last about 60 seconds so I don't necessarily blame him for keeping it simple.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm sure they did as they did mine. I let my references know why I was asking them to be a reference and not to have it take them by surprise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post

My investigator told one of my references I was applying because of my job. That is not actually true, as I am not applying to carry while at work, or based on a sponsorship by my employer, but rather (only in part) on the impact my job has of really pissing people off and making me more susceptible to out of the office danger. That makes me think the trooper doesn't really get my valid concern, but on the other hand the interviews with references last about 60 seconds so I don't necessarily blame him for keeping it simple.

i ask because, mentioning to your references that yhe interview is for a carry permit, may be violating the privacy component of sb281. i've heard this may be happening, so im looking for confirmations.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    i ask because, mentioning to your references that yhe interview is for a carry permit, may be violating the privacy component of sb281. i've heard this may be happening, so im looking for confirmations.

Definitely happened during my reference checks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom