• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoostinIX

Aug 10, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    ^Yup. If I'm understanding it correctly, buying before oct 1 = grandfathered.

If nobody knows what paperwork would be acceptable, anyone have a MSP number of where I could find some answers?

Sorry about the newb questions. :(

BoostinIX

Aug 10, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    So to add more confusion to the fire:

Just got off the phone with MSP. Their answer was that the Oct 1 date doesn't apply to me at all, since I'm not a resident then, and that I can bring ARs here regardless of purchase date.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Just got off the phone with MSP. Their answer was that the Oct 1 date doesn't apply to me at all, since I'm not a resident then, and that I can bring ARs here regardless of purchase date.

Sometimes these laws get confusing, wires get crossed and people, (Trooper in this case), may be right, or wrong. Keep on top of this over the next few weeks to see how this plays out. As of now, I think you just got wrong information. Another reason these worthless laws are bad is this confusion and if you follow the wrong "opinion" you, not the Trooper, will have to pay.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Per the State Troopers at the MSP/ATF training session in Cumberland on 8/15 If a banned firearm is purchased after 10/1 by an out of state resident, that out of state resident cannot transport the banned firearm into the state of Maryland for:

- Moving into the state.
    - Participating at a shooting event in the state.

If the banned firearm is purchased before 10/1 you can do either of the above. I know it sounds stupid and it is but, this is what was communicated by the troopers giving the session.

So, all in all anyone that lives outside of Maryland better be aware of the laws in Maryland or they could be inadvertently committing a crime. :sad20:

On another note, I don't know how in the hell they would go about enforcing this stupid ass regulation. The severe level of ASSHATTERY of Maryland legislature is truly astounding. :mad54:

The COMAR regs. are supposed to be listed on Sept. 20 :sad20:

BoostinIX

Aug 10, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Really appreciate all the support.

Plans unchanged then, found a place in WI with Bravo lowers in stock. Folks are buying it now, will fly home and do a simple bill of sale, have it notarized, done. Now I'll have rifle and proof to move with.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    On another note, I don't know how in the hell they would go about enforcing this stupid ass regulation. The severe level of ASSHATTERY of Maryland legislature is truly astounding. :mad54:

They don't need to prove it. They just need to have probable cause to arrest you and confiscate the firearm.

To the OP, if you are planning on buying any assault long guns in a private sale before moving to the state, I would recommend preparing a bill of sale between the seller and you.

Include the seller's name and address as well as your own. Describe the firearm and include the serial number.

I like to include some type of identifying number, preferably a driver's license number. But something like a Concealed Carry Permit number would be fine.

Prepare two copies. Make sure you both sign each copy.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

It is crystal clear from the language of the new law that what you were told is wrong. There is no ambiguity in the law on this point. It explicitly states that "a person may not transport an assault weapon into the State . . ." unless it fits into one of several very explicit exceptions, one of which is lawful possession (or a completed application to purchase) prior to October 1, 2013. The law explicitly empowers law enforcement to "seize as contraband and dispose of according to regulation" any "assault weapons" transported into the state in violation of this provision. The offender is subject to a penalty of imprisonment not exceeding three years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both, per offense.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. But if you act on the basis of the information cited above, you may well need both.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown

Get it in writing on official letterhead and you may STILL not be covered. Up until about a week ago, the MSP's position was that having a purchase order or invoice for a handgun dated before October 1, 2013, was sufficient to avoid the new nonsense. Now you MUST have posession (not just with the FFL) or you have to start all over under the new law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom