• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoostinIX

Aug 10, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Hey all. Looking like I'm officially switching my residency / "Moving to" MD. Planning on picking up an AR lower from WI before I officially move. What needs to be done upon arrival? Register it?

*Note- This will be Jan-ish of 2014

Sorry in advance if I missed a big sticky thread. :( Feel free to redirect me :P

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    First of all, I'm sorry that you have to move here. To answer your question, yes, if you move into the state on or after Oct 1, you will have to register your existing firearms with the MSP if you want to bring them here. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you also have to prove you owned them before Oct 1 in your old state too (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    First of all, I'm sorry that you have to move here. To answer your question, yes, if you move into the state on or after Oct 1, you will have to register your existing firearms with the MSP if you want to bring them here. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you also have to prove you owned them before Oct 1 in your old state too (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Yes, that is the catch.

Welcome to MD, BoostinIX. People are friendly, but not the government.

BoostinIX

Aug 10, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Lol I've actually been here since 07, just kept my WI residency as permanent non-resident, both with student and contract work :P

Weeeeeell that was a new one on me lol. Thankfully WI has same-day AR purchases. AND Bravo Co is made in WI. Guess who's making a 1-day flight home, lol.

Glad I asked, thanks everyone

BoostinIX

Aug 10, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Lol! The replies... :P

Might not have to fly back after all. WI is a no-paper state. Meaning I can private sell it/gift it and just hand it over lol.

Sooooooooooooo. If someone wants to gift it to me. Or let's say I got one private. What will MD accept as "proof of ownership" without a gun store FFL receipt so I can show I owned it before the Oct 1 deadline?

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Lol! The replies... :P

Might not have to fly back after all. WI is a no-paper state. Meaning I can private sell it/gift it and just hand it over lol.

Sooooooooooooo. If someone wants to gift it to me. Or let's say I got one private. What will MD accept as "proof of ownership" without a gun store FFL receipt so I can show I owned it before the Oct 1 deadline?

Wisconsin to Laurel, MD seriously? I would seriously think about this...

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    I was under the impression that a banned firearm could not cross the border here after oct1 (I am aware that u stated that this wouldnt be the case becuase u live here and would buy and get it before oct1)

Sorry this is worded so poorly.. its early for me

BoostinIX

Aug 10, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I have to own it before Oct 1, which isn't an issue, as WI will be a quick purchase.

While I'm all for more hate MD laughs....I'm here. Been here for 6 years...moot point lol. Finally able to register the toy cars here, which is why I'm finally switching.

Need suggestions on paperwork needed to prove ownership and date was before Oct 1. Standard homemade bill of sale/transfer?

7. "Assault" weapons and "copycat" firearms possessed as of October 1, 2013, will be "grandfathered" in (not banned) for both current Maryland residents and people who move to Maryland in the future. Their lawful owners may continue to possess them and to transport them. (Page 14, lines 9-16.) This would also apply to any such firearm for which the would-be owner "has a purchase order for. or completed an application to purchase" as of October 1, 2013" (note: that phrase was inserted on the House floor on April 3, in place of the earlier phrase referring to a "verifiable purchase order"). However, there are substantial doubts that such a previously ordered gun could be lawfully transferred to the buyer after October 1, unless the dealer had it hand before that date (e.g., a layaway). A resident of another state who lawfully acquires such a weapon after October 1, 2013, and who then moves into the state with it, would commit an offense. (It would be a crime even to bring such a non-grandfathered rifle into the state for a shooting competition, although just driving across the state with an ultimate destination in another state, with the gun unloaded and cased separately from ammo, would in theory be protected by a federal law, 18 U.S.C. §926.) Grandfathered assault weapons may be passed on by inheritance (page 12, lines 21-26). Current Maryland residents are not required to register their grandfathered "assault"/"copycat" firearms, but persons who move to Maryland after October 1, 2013, would be required to register such firearms (see no. 8 below).

8. Anyone who moves into the state would be required to register "all regulated firearms" with 90 days after establishing residency (see page 52). This would apply to all handguns, except muzzleloaders and antiques (pre-1899), no matter when or where they were acquired. I suppose it will also be applied to any "assault" rifle that was lawfully possessed by the new resident prior to October 1, 2013, although that is not perfectly clear. There will be a $15 application charge, which will cover any number of handguns/regulated firearms. It appears to me that criminal penalties would apply for failure to register a handgun within 90 days, but I would appreciate some lawyer well versed in the criminal code looking at that question. If I am right, a new resident might find grandpa's old service revolver in a trunk in a few years, take it down to the local gun shop to sell it, and end up arrested for failure to register the handgun within 90 days of establishing residency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom