MD' law: What info can be secured from fired shell casings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    A retired trooper told me he worked in the warehouse for awhile. The casing are all over the floor, rats have chewed open the envelopes and the envelopes are just tossed in a box when they are received. Sounds like a well oiled machine working to me!!!!!!!!

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    NY sacked its system last year after a decade of use, millions of dollars manning it, harassment of countless gun owners and dealers, and two "hits". Are we now the only state in the nation that requires a spent shell casing? Anyone knows whether the MSP ever had a single "hit"?

Not one case solved by MSP utilizing the system.

Mar 4, 2013
    NY sacked its system last year after a decade of use, millions of dollars manning it, harassment of countless gun owners and dealers, and two "hits". Are we now the only state in the nation that requires a spent shell casing? Anyone knows whether the MSP ever had a single "hit"?

this is an excellent question. I wonder if Md is the last holdout on spent casings

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

do you have a link/ source for this?

Raylon Rules

I am Groot
    Feb 19, 2013
    C.C.C.M.D.
    I'd probably just collect my spent shell casings if I committed a crime with a personal firearm, although I wouldn't be in such a situation to begin with. People watch too much tv. Barrel changes are pretty simple too. I guess ballistic fingerprinting is mainly to catch the criminally stupid. Is that an oxymoron?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Any essentially for delivering NO SERVICE OR VALUE to the applicant.

Granted, it's a fee, but since SCOTUS has ruled that the 'fees and penalties' for ObamaCare equate to a tax ... it's a TAX.

And at $10/per that equals $1,775,810 since 2008 through March of this years alone.

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION ...

Sounds like a revolutionary saying, doesn't it ?

I am not aware of a fee for the shell casing, unless you need an ffl 007 to do it for you here in MD.

I would bet that they lose money on every app, and that the storage of all those shell casings cost more than they will ever recover.

Another thought -- is a given shell casing subject to PIA request or other legal claim. If I wanted to prove that my FFL compiled with the law when they charged me the $50 fee. say for example I suied an FFL 07 for non performance, and they needed to prove that it was submitted, could they supeana the production of the shell casing :)

For the record, its just idle curiosity .. far to much cost just to make a point--- :)

But if some journalist wanted to do a story on this, could they force the state to produce a shell casing, along with the needed chain of custody information to ensure that any such evidence would hold up in court. :)

Again just speculation -- I don't think its worth the trouble myself. :)

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am not aware of a fee for the shell casing, unless you need an ffl 007 to do it for you here in MD.

I would bet that they lose money on every app, and that the storage of all those shell casings cost more than they will ever recover.

Another thought -- is a given shell casing subject to PIA request or other legal claim. If I wanted to prove that my FFL compiled with the law when they charged me the $50 fee. say for example I suied an FFL 07 for non performance, and they needed to prove that it was submitted, could they supeana the production of the shell casing :)

For the record, its just idle curiosity .. far to much cost just to make a point--- :)

But if some journalist wanted to do a story on this, could they force the state to produce a shell casing, along with the needed chain of custody information to ensure that any such evidence would hold up in court. :)

Again just speculation -- I don't think its worth the trouble myself. :)

That would be real investigative reporting. Maybe they'd even get a picture of the (alleged) 55 gal drum.

Alas, there are no newspapers in the state that do that anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom