MD' law: What info can be secured from fired shell casings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I know the purpose of this law in comparing fired shell casings recovered from a crime scene with those on file at MSP. But in physical terms what things are looked at by investigators? I'm guessing the caliber of course and probably any marks left on the primer or case head by the gun's firing pin and breech face. But is there any thing else like expansion of the fired case from a given chamber or scrapes left on the body of the case?

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Not one case solved using this system. MSP attempted to dismantle it. Washington Post did a false story claiming one case solved. Annapolis vote to get rid of it failed. MSP now takes spent cases and toss them in 55 gallon drums. Worst government screw up since Mallow's Bay.

Sent from my smartphone using Tappatalk 2.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    You have most of it. Firing pin indent, breech face tooling marks and any tooling marks in the chamber. Unique marks from feed or ejection are possible.

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    Firing pins can be changed , stupid and money making law. You know really all the laws protect the law breakers . Makes it so much harder and cost for the honest person who wants a hobby or to protect them self or family.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    even if they could, a barrel swap negates any benefit. They weren't even thinking about revolvers.

Assclowns all.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Just one detail strip and reassembly should change things enough in the internals of the gun to render the factory supplied casing as useless.....

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    Even if markings on shell casings remained consistent over the life of a firearm, they'd be useless as evidence because anyone could grab other people's casings at a gun range and deposit them at a crime scene.

Feb 28, 2013
    Even if markings on shell casings remained consistent over the life of a firearm, they'd be useless as evidence because anyone could grab other people's casings at a gun range and deposit them at a crime scene.

And if the weapon was a revolver, it doesn't matter much does it?

Mar 4, 2013
    everyone her claims this program was created for revenue, but msp collects no money , only the shell casings, so therefore msp has to fund and staff the program with tax money, so every MD resident pays into this program , and not one Md resident benefits. I was told the program costed 1.2M per year to fund, so it is literally money straight down the toilet.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    NY sacked its system last year after a decade of use, millions of dollars manning it, harassment of countless gun owners and dealers, and two "hits". Are we now the only state in the nation that requires a spent shell casing? Anyone knows whether the MSP ever had a single "hit"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom