• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • splatzplayer

Jan 20, 2014
    If you have a Maryland handgun qualification permit, is there still the five day wait to purchase a handgun?

I have not purchased one in about 15 years and just wondering.

Thank you

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Can anyone point to a law or COMAR that stipulates FFLs cannot release prior to 7 or 8 days once the not disapproved is received back from the MSP? I thought the whole 7 day thing was a goal for the MSP, and if they did not make it, then the FFL could release on day 8. I didn't think it was proscriptive to say that even if the not disapproved came back in one day, then the FFL still couldn't release for 8 days.

This has recently been bandied about repeatedly on this forum, but I haven't seen anything in writing other than the forum posts. And we all know, posts, MSP, and FFL opinions vary considerably on what on the surface might seem to be pretty simple legal questions. Not saying the mandatory 7 day wait doesn't exist, just hoping someone can point me to the actual MD law, AG opinion, or COMAR. Thanks in advance.

wt71

Sep 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    Can anyone point to a law or COMAR that stipulates FFLs cannot release prior to 7 or 8 days once the not disapproved is received back from the MSP? I thought the whole 7 day thing was a goal for the MSP, and if they did not make it, then the FFL could release on day 8. I didn't think it was proscriptive to say that even if the not disapproved came back in one day, then the FFL still couldn't release for 8 days.

This has recently been bandied about repeatedly on this forum, but I haven't seen anything in writing other than the forum posts. And we all know, posts, MSP, and FFL opinions vary considerably on what on the surface might seem to be pretty simple legal questions. Not saying the mandatory 7 day wait doesn't exist, just hoping someone can point me to the actual MD law, AG opinion, or COMAR. Thanks in advance.

Can't point to it, but I am pretty sure that the 7 day wait has nothing to do with MSP doing thier thing. It's a "cool off period"

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Can't point to it, but I am pretty sure that the 7 day wait has nothing to do with MSP doing thier thing. It's a "cool off period"

Correct. Because the 12 other pistols in the safe at home can't do the job when a person decides to go crazy. :sad20:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    The eighth day is the earliest that they can release. I know it is law, but I can't point it out. It has been this way for a long time now.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    My understanding is that they can release on the 7th day. Had a 7 day release not too long ago. When the 7th day comes, you've waited 7 days.

I don't recall the law stating 8 days anywhere, correct me if I'm wrong.

wt71

Sep 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    My understanding is that they can release on the 7th day. Had a 7 day release not too long ago. When the 7th day comes, you've waited 7 days.

I don't recall the law stating 8 days anywhere, correct me if I'm wrong.

It is 7 days but I find that most FFL's won't release on 7th day. Most will release on the 8th day

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I have an S&W .380 that I received on the 7th day. I did have a little advantage in my favor that the dealer said is why he felt comfortable releasing to me on the 7th day though.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    So, here we are.

"IT IS THE LAW. But I can't find anywhere in the law where it says that."

Does that about capture the situation?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN

Thanks. That's as close as I've seen. Depending on how you read it, it could insinuate there is a standard 7 day waiting period. (Or you can infer it just refers to the MSP has seven days to process the application.)

It will give me something to research further. I'm sure there is someone on the forum that has it right at their fingertips. Hopefully they will join in on the thread if they do.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Thanks. That's as close as I've seen. Depending on how you read it, it could insinuate there is a standard 7 day waiting period. (Or you can infer it just refers to the MSP has seven days to process the application.)

It will give me something to research further. I'm sure there is someone on the forum that has it right at their fingertips. Hopefully they will join in on the thread if they do.

Is this what you're looking for?

Secondary Sales
    Seven-day waiting period
    (a)(1) A person who is not a licensee may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by a licensee to the Secretary.

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-124

Dealers
    Seven-day waiting period
    (a) A licensee may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by the prospective seller or transferor to the Secretary.

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-123

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Is this what you're looking for?

Secondary Sales

Dealers

Bingo! Yes, thank you. I found the below quote in multiple locations but could not tie it directly to any MD code.

"In no case, however, may the handgun be delivered before seven days, even if the application is approved earlier."

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Bingo! Yes, thank you. I found the below quote in multiple locations but could not tie it directly to any MD code.

"In no case, however, may the handgun be delivered before seven days, even if the application is approved earlier."

That is not anywhere in the code that I can see. It is a simplification of the law I quoted though, clarifying that no one may "sell, rent, transfer, or purchase a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed," regardless of how fast the ND comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom