• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Just reporting my summary of the call. It sounded odd to me as well , but it's not like a have any leg to stand on at the moment due to the stay.
    Just wanted to expand on my comments about my phone call with the Trooper Sgt assigned my application file. When he was talking to me, he advised that he could not process the application since "the law was still being appealed, and the new law did not get passed in time". He went on to advise that he could not process my application since my reason ("self defense and all lawful purposes") did not meet any of the following (he indicated that the following were the only acceptable reasons for sustaining an application):

• Current LEO
    • Retired LEO with minimum number of service years (he did not mention the number of years required)
    • Armed security guard
    • Private investigator
    • Armored car guard
    • Current or former Corrections Officer with at least three, substantiated, reports of death threats from inmates in recent years, with corresponding documentation and supporting letter from the Dean of Corrections authorizing the carry application
    • Sole proprietor of a business with substantial, daily cash deposits
    He then thanked me for my time and told me to keep an eye on the court case and the upcoming session. He stressed that there were new bills planned for the next session that would significantly address the right of "citizens" to carry weapons.

That information is provided to the best of my recollection from the conversation (I did not record it and was driving at the time, so I could not write notes).

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Was your reason lawful purposes and self defense or something else?

I had G&S. But not as much G&S as you might think. The short story, I carry business related currency. Not much, and not often at all compared to an average business. But to the MSP, G&S all the same. My 9a reasoning with the same thing everyone else used. I just added more to my reasoning that met the MSP G&S standard.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I just got off of the phone with a Trooper from the Prince Frederick Barracks (amusing, since I am a pre-stay HoCo applicant). He advised that he was providing me with a courtesy update to advise that my application had been returned to the Licensing Division as not meeting any available criteria for interview or further processing.

He had more comments about pending law changes for citizen carry being expected in the upcoming GA session next year.

Guess the wait begins to see if this leads to a denial letter, or if it gets put back into the "wait and see what happens @ CA4" pile.

When did you submit your application? Was it after Legg's ruling and before the Stay?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    When did you submit your application? Was it after Legg's ruling and before the Stay?
    Originally Posted by MJD438
    I just got off of the phone with a Trooper from the Prince Frederick Barracks (amusing, since I am a pre-stay HoCo applicant). He advised that he was providing me with a courtesy update to advise that my application had been returned to the Licensing Division as not meeting any available criteria for interview or further processing.

He had more comments about pending law changes for citizen carry being expected in the upcoming GA session next year.

Guess the wait begins to see if this leads to a denial letter, or if it gets put back into the "wait and see what happens @ CA4" pile.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    MJD438:

It's funny you should say that, as the Trooper I interviewed with said very silimar about how he thought the laws would change in the next year - going more like the majority of the other States. (I assume he didn't mean New Jersey...)

I get the distinct impression that someone is forwarning us to go take the course the security folks are required to take, as, maybe, a little birdie told them this is the direction the general assembly is going to go.

Last edited:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    If you applied post stay (after 3-30), yes you will be denied. MSP is sitting on pre stay apps until this is settled.
    I am hoping this remains the case, based on the interaction I had with MSP in late October (detailed earlier in this thread). I keep expecting to see a denial letter showing up in my mailbox, based on the way the Trooper worded his comments to me.

Afield

Jul 3, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    MJD438:

It's funny you should say that, as the Trooper I interviewed with said very silimar about how he thought the laws would change in the next year - going more like the majority of the other States. (I assume he didn't mean New Jersey...)

I get the distinct impression that someone is forwarning us to go take the course the security folks are required to take, as, maybe, a little birdie told them this is the direction the general assembly is going to go.

This presents an intriguing idea...a MO'M who wants to be viable nationally as a presidential candidate in '16 moves himself to a more viable center position with a revised Maryland law. Maybe instead of what we have now, it would resemble the "permissive may issue" of some states (isn't Delaware kinda that way?).

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    I was a pre-stay app, just got called for my interview in Rockville on Monday. The trooper was pretty straight forward on the phone. Asking me to bring any training or other licensing I hold to the interview. Truthfully I have no formal training, not because I don't think it's valuable but because this trooper got me a week before the first (of 4) I'm enrolled in over the next 3 months.

Anyone have any pointers for the interview?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was a pre-stay app, just got called for my interview in Rockville on Monday. The trooper was pretty straight forward on the phone. Asking me to bring any training or other licensing I hold to the interview. Truthfully I have no formal training, not because I don't think it's valuable but because this trooper got me a week before the first (of 4) I'm enrolled in over the next 3 months.

Just be honest. Don't offer much more than they ask for. It is not bad at all.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If your background has nothing specific to require follow up ( ie arrests that resulted in aquital , actual threats , business purposes , etc ) there is at least 50/50 chance s/he will just read out the answers on your application , and you'll say "that's right" . YMMV as always.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Good for you and best of luck to you . :party29: All of the troopers I have talked to are for MD being a shall issue state to include the trooper that conducted my FtoF. Every LEO on the planet already knows that in all 50 states the bad guys consider all states as shall issue states now. However many of them would like to see MD have some type of training requirement, and who can blame them considering all of the training they have to go through each year because they carry. Whats good for the goose and all that.

So when you go to your interview just relax and answer the questions. Your trooper will be 100 times happier with you then mine was with me if you tell them about the training your signed up for. The likelihood your trooper will be for it is high from what I have seen. I had two LEO's as references on my app because they think it's a good idea. And as I said they all are hoping for some training requirement and you got that covered so your trooper should be VERY happy with you.

Even the stories of the bad trooper interviews we hear about was most likely is due to a given trooper just being pissed because he/she had to do a hand gun permit investigation they most likely consider to be busy no fun work they hate to do, and not because they do not think there is anything wrong with a law abiding person with a permit.

You will be asked what gun you plan on carrying. Not knowing what your answer will be I recommend you tell them your considering some small, easy to conceal 380 - 45. I think they ask this question to see if your making good judgements decisions from the start. Don't tell them your going to carry some monster gun that will be hard to conceal. Not saying you are/would, but if you are, telling them that will not win you any points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom