• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Okay, glad to see some agree with changing it. I didn't like it so much, but stuck with it as I didn't want to make things more confusing

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    While I am convinced that most of the Delegates/Senators know what SB281 means to this community, my observations at the State House this year shows that they are no strangers to the game and used the fact that SB281 means something different each year as a wedge point in hallway conversations (i.e., pretending that they do not know the subject matter since SB281 was about Selective Service Registration within the MVA this year).

You could refer to it as Chapter 427, since that will also search properly at the moment.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    gatopolis11 and mxrider - thanks for the updates!
    mxrider - thanks! I listed you as researching 30B

Updates posted
    • info from this thread
    • rename of SB281 to FSA, and adjust key
    • adjust wording to match official bill titles
    • rename of HB294 to FSA-H, and adjust key
    • downsize of posts - remove some lists, remove "see footnote"...

There are so many acronyms/abbreviations now...such is life

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    District 30B- Fredericks Reply

Here is the reply that I just received from Jim Fredericks (R):

Jim Fredericks said:
    Mr. MXRider,

Thanks for the opportunity to address your concerns. I was given your contact information by a resident when I was recently in your area campaigning. I would still appreciate the opportunity to address your next association meeting. Please let me know a day and time, and I’ll be happy to be available for your community members. My contact information is on the flyer I left at your home. Here are my responses to your questions:

Gun Control and SB 281

I am a pro-2nd Amendment candidate and I strongly support the idea of Maryland becoming a concealed-carry state. As a police officer who is in tune with crime rates in our community, I believe concealed carry would go a long way to reduce the fear of crimes, such as street robberies, and reduce the desire by thugs to want to commit crimes against random citizens on our streets. I would also support citizens being properly trained and educated in firearms safety, but this would also be a positive business impact for those which specialize in training courses. Clearly SB 281 was a grab by Democrats during high public sentiment to reduce access to guns and gun ownership. When a bill is co-sponsored by only one political party, we know all too well that it is biased. As usual, the legislation only served to hurt law-abiding citizens and reduce their rights.

There is a small area of firearms safety that should be addressed in law, and that is mental health patient access to firearms. Currently, I am the only person in Anne Arundel County authorized to sign off for the return of firearms to persons who have been the subject of mental health evaluations. This is a tricky area in the law and you would be surprised to know that many weapons are returned by the police department because current laws are not sufficient enough to prevent certain mental health patients from retaining their firearms. Aside from this one issue, I believe any law-abiding Maryland resident should be able to purchase weapons of their choosing and enjoy them without hindrance by politicians.

Common Core and Education

Obviously there is great heartache over the roll-out of Common Core. Having a daughter in high school, I’m hearing about it from students, teachers, and other parents. I’ve spoken to hundreds of voters this year and I am yet to meet one who has expressed pleasure over the curriculum. What is seldom talked about with the program is that it was an off the shelf program that was hastily pushed on our educators, students and parents to get Obama administration approval for $250 million in grant funding for Maryland. What I’ve been told by teachers is that the program does not allow for our smartest students to grow in their achievement and hampers their ability to teach. A good curriculum would allow our brightest students to shine, while providing for instruction for struggling students to help them succeed. One voter I recently spoke with was a former high-level school system administrator who echoed comments by those who were on the selection committee for the Maryland curriculum, stating that this program will put students behind, not advance them in standings with other states, and other nations. I support a full review of Common Core, with significant educator and parental input, to implement a program geared toward the success of our children, and not toward grant funding.

Health Care Exchange and ACA

It is no secret that the Maryland implementation of its health care exchange was an abject failure. And, in typical fashion, politicians are unwilling to stand up and take responsibility. At the state and national level, transparency and responsibility in government is seemingly non-existent. At my level, and with the legislation I propose, I want to start re-establishing faith in government and fair representation. We as Marylanders know that the failed roll-out of the health exchange will cost us over $125 million. What we don’t know is where that money was spent. Additionally, it looks like the “new” plan, which is to piggyback on another state’s system, is going to cost at the very least another $35-50 million of tax payer money.

I don’t think an exchange system, or one-stop-shopping for health care is a bad idea, but it should be fully open to competition, and not dictated by bad national policy. There are countless stories of single-payer systems in other countries failing to provide immediate care for serious illnesses. Single-payer, or government-controlled health care, is a scary prospect that only serves to water-down the quality of health care for citizens. If we pay close attention to national stories, there are other examples of failed state level exchanges, such as Oregon, which may soon be taken over by the federal government. Maryland was also listed as a failed exchange that was being watched by the Obama administration.

Thank you again for the opportunity. I look forward to hearing back from you about your community meeting schedule. Let me know if you need any clarification. Also, if you have a small group of folks outside of the community association who would just like to get together and chat about these issues, let me know and we can schedule some time together.

Jim Fredericks
    Candidate-District 30B

Authority: Fredericks for Maryland - Fay Fredericks, Treasurer

I asked a couple follow up questions below:

1. You state that you support MD becoming a concealed-carry state. How would you propose to do this?
    2. Regarding Education and training, what would you propose for someone wanting to conceal carry?

Jim said:
    The answers to your questions are simply to propose legislation to make it a law to allow for concealed carry. It would obviously call for repeal of certain other conflicting areas of law, and should require armed individuals to carry a permit as well. As with any serious legislation, I would work behind the scenes to educate other legislators and build a coalition of support both inside and outside the State House. As far as the depth of training, I would hope that we all would want concealed carry permits to be issued after an approved demonstration of proficiency and education of permit holders in gun safety and security. The last thing we would want is to give opponents a reason to pounce on our rights again.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    District 15

District 15

Dumais is going to be tough to beat no matter what. What you want to do is get rid of the other two. Aruna Miller won with only 5000 votes last election. She was the person I was targeting for my own run for a Delegate seat. You target the other two seats then you'll still have a win even if we didn't get Dumais out of office.

If we can fill the other two seats w/ anti-FSA Democrats, that sends a message to the party.

Yes, some who at least does not lead the charge against gun rights would be nice! I added them to the OP, but don't yet have data links, voting record, etc.

Not much grey area there! Thank you for the additional information

Added to OP. Data links, etc, can be updated as people post them.

Thanks

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    District 15

Dumais is going to be tough to beat no matter what. What you want to do is get rid of the other two. Aruna Miller won with only 5000 votes last election. She was the person I was targeting for my own run for a Delegate seat. You target the other two seats then you'll still have a win even if we didn't get Dumais out of office.

If we can fill the other two seats w/ anti-FSA Democrats, that sends a message to the party.

I did a bit more research on 15. David Fraser-Hidalgo was appointed to the seat in 2013. He ran for the seat in 2010 and lost in the primary. Do you know his stance on 2A?

Any thoughts on which candidate would receive the support of the votes that went to Feldman in 2010? My preference would be that those anti-2A legislators who are on the HJC and SJPC be the ones who do not get reelected, however that goal may not be attainable. Being that Dumais is the vice-chair of the HJC, her not being reelected would be a great message to send . As you mentioned, that will not be so easy

Last edited:

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    District 15

I'm not on the ground as you apparently are in 15, but from what I can find, Miller won the general by just north of 6000 votes over the republican challengers.

I have never run a campaign before, but in a delegate race it seems to me you should not try to "knock out" a particular delegate you perceive as weak. The top three vote getters win. There are only three republicans running that I can find for delegate and they will all win the primary with out any votes, there are four running as demoncrats and the plan should be to work to get all of them elected in the primary except DuMais, and that may be doable.

If you are connected well with the republican groups in that district, everyone of their members should switch to DINO at once and plan to work to get all of Dumais' opponents elected. I'm sure they all voted for the rain tax and all the other problematic bills, but DuMais is part of the leadership and more responsible for our troubles than these lower hanging fruit. Anyway, not on the ground there and this is just a suggestion.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    District 15

I did a bit more research on 15. David Fraser-Hidalgo was appointed to the seat in 2013. He ran for the seat in 2010 and lost in the primary. Do you know his stance on 2A?

Any thoughts on which candidate would receive the support of the votes that went to Feldman in 2010? My preference would be that those anti-2A legislators who are on the HJC and SJPC be the ones who do not get reelected, however that goal may not be attainable. Being that Dumais is the vice-chair of the HJC, her not being reelected would be a great message to send . As you mentioned, that will not be so easy

I'm not on the ground as you apparently are in 15, but from what I can find, Miller won the general by just north of 6000 votes over the republican challengers.

I have never run a campaign before, but in a delegate race it seems to me you should not try to "knock out" a particular delegate you perceive as weak. The top three vote getters win. There are only three republicans running that I can find for delegate and they will all win the primary with out any votes, there are four running as demoncrats and the plan should be to work to get all of them elected in the primary except DuMais, and that may be doable.

If you are connected well with the republican groups in that district, everyone of their members should switch to DINO at once and plan to work to get all of Dumais' opponents elected. I'm sure they all voted for the rain tax and all the other problematic bills, but DuMais is part of the leadership and more responsible for our troubles than these lower hanging fruit. Anyway, not on the ground there and this is just a suggestion.

This is a perfect example of a valid DINO strategy.

But how are we going to do this? We have just under 2 months to the primary. People tend not to pay as much attention to the state races. They tend to vote with their party affiliation. Name recognition is also a factor.

Do we even have a rough estimate of how many Dino's their are in MD? And if they are all on the same page?

Also what about Frosh's run for AG and his vacant senate seat? What are we doing about that?

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    As I've said many times, we here can't do it.

Kvetching on internet forums only goes so far.

Spreading the word by social media is going to be the biggest piece, alongside pushing the concept personally to people you know and meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom