• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    All of the vote sheets for final committee and floor/amendment votes in both chambers on SB281 are available on the MDGA site here (including the Senate cloture vote):

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=02&id=sb0281&tab=subject3&ys=2013rs

The amendment votes for HJC (with the vote change) can be found here: http://delegatemike.com/actual-committee-voting-sheets/

Thanks. I think I found the vote for Cloture:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...b=subject3&id=sb0281,s-0375&stab=02&ys=2013RS
    Listed from your link as "Vote - Senate Floor - Motion limit debate (Garagiola) Adopted (29-18) - 02/28/13"
    pdf contains "Motion to limit debate to two hours in the aggregate"

Last edited:

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Where there are multiple Democrats running in the primary we need to focus the DINO vote on one particular candidate to maximize the effectiveness. If the focus is to unseat an incumbent all the DINO votes should go to one particular opponent who has enough other support to win the primary, then when the incumbent is gone we all DINOs and others need to back the best pro 2nd candidate.

Can we indicate in some way where the DINO votes should concentrate?

Today I got about 15 Senate districts identified and marked as potential DINO vote impact. Have a look at the OP if interested

thx

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Top Shelf, nice work, but it's saturday night, have a drink, spend some time with your family. Relax...

Alright! that's enough, back to work!:lol2:

Seriously nice job, but don't kill yourself, pace yourself man.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Top Shelf, nice work, but it's saturday night, have a drink, spend some time with your family. Relax...

Alright! that's enough, back to work!:lol2:

Seriously nice job, but don't kill yourself, pace yourself man.

Thanks!

Not to worry - cracked a beer a half hour ago, and heading to watch UFC. No more work today for me :)

I do plan to get all of this into database, then build out a web display. The start on that effort is a ways out...

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Dont forget Timothy Vance (me) Delegate Dist 43

Added, thanks. I linked to your post here, and your profile here. If you want me to place something under your name in the OP, let me know.

FYI to all - I have maxed out the size limit on the OP. I will probably soon split it into 2 posts, moving the House of Representatives information to post 3.

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    The following list is very interesting, and points out a number of seats that will need to be focused on...

(from Maryland Reporter)
    Incumbents not running again, listed by district order

1C, Del. LeRoy Myers (running for commissioner)
    4, Del. Patrick Hogan;
    5, Del. Nancy Stocksdale
    6, Sen. Norman Stone, Del. Sonny Minnick, Del. Johnny Olszewski (running for Senate);
    9, Sen. Allan Kittleman (running for county executive), Del. Gail Bates (running for Senate);
    10, Del. Emmett Burns, Del. Shirley Nathan-Pulliam (running for Senate);
    11, Del. Jon Cardin (running for attorney general);
    12, Dels. Steven DeBoy, Jimmy Malone, Liz Bobo;
    13, Sen. James Robey, Del. Guy Guzzone (running for Senate);
    16, Sen. Brian Frosh (running for attorney general), Del. Susan Lee (running for Senate);
    17, Sen. Jennie Forehand, Del. Luiz Simmons (running for Senate);
    20, Del. Tom Hucker (running for council), Del. Heather Mizeur (running for governor);
    23A, Del. James Hubbard;
    25, Del. Aisha Braveboy (running for attorney general), Del. Melony Griffith (running for Senate);
    26, Del. Veronica Turner (running for Senate);
    28, Del. Peter Murphy (running for commissioners president)
    29, Del. Johnny Wood;
    30, Del. Ron George (running for governor);
    33B, Del. Robert Costa;
    31, Del. Steven Shuh (running for executive);
    32, Del. Mary Ann Love;
    34, Sen. Nancy Jacobs; Del. Mary Delany-James (running for Senate);
    35, Sen. Barry Glassman (running for executive), Del. Wayne Norman (running for Senate), Del. Donna Stifler
    37 A, Del. Rudy Cane
    38, Del. Michael McDermott (running for Senate)
    42, Del. William Frank
    46, Del. Brian McHale
    47, Del. Jolene Ivey (running for lt. governor), Del. Doyle Niemann (running for council)

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    I'm going to send some emails tonight to the candidates of district 34. I'll report back as I get responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    The following list is very interesting, and points out a number of seats that will need to be focused on...

(from Maryland Reporter)

Nice! I rolled part of the list in, and put a TODO at the front of the OP on the rest. I will get back to the updates as time allows.

I'm going to send some emails tonight to the candidates of district 34. I'll report back as I get responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. I was thinking the next step would be to start reaching out to candidates, especially those in potential DINO districts. Whatever we can find out about stances on 2A would be helpful :)

Side note - I broke the OP into 2 posts as the OP went over the size limit. Senate is in the OP, and House plus key/footnotes are in post 3

O-Hebi

Jul 19, 2013
    Craig, David R. (with Haddaway, Jeannie) (R)
    I recall these candidates saying they wanted to repeal SB281. I don't see anything on Craig's website about any 2A stuff.

This is from his website. After reading the website (exhaustively, I might add) he has my vote.

Instead of understanding the causes of mass shootings witnessed across the country and actually solving the problem, Maryland politicians rush to pass legislation in reaction to the latest headlines without enforcing laws that already exist. Under existing law, purchases of certain weapons are limited to one per month and require a background check and a seven-day waiting period. After dealers wait the required seven days they can release the gun to the purchaser, regardless if the background check has been completed or not. While this is the law, the State was purposely taking up to 100 days to complete these checks as a deterrent to gun purchasers. A law suit followed and as a result the courts made an initial ruling that the gun dealers didn't have to hold the inventory because they have no space to store firearms.

Since my election to the Havre De Grace city council in 1979, having later served in the Maryland General Assembly, and now as Harford County Executive, I believe that government should enable freedom and personal responsibility. I will work to repeal ill-conceived legislation such as Senate Bill 281 passed in 2013 that do nothing but undermine the 2nd amendment. I will protect the rights of responsible firearm owners and hunters. And I will support Maryland becoming a “shall issue” state to enable law-abiding citizens to protect themselves. Feel-good legislation will be replaced with vigorous enforcement and prosecution of gun crimes.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Both Craig and Haddaway are staunchly pro-2A, and are among our best friends out there. I've thoroughly enjoyed my conversations with them, and believe they would do very well.

That said (in the interest of full disclosure), I should mention that the other R candidates I've spoken with (George, Lollar, and Vaeth) are also pro-2A and very much in favor of carry rights (Vaeth maybe more from a LIbertarian slant).

I have yet to so much as hear that Hogan has been at public events, much less had a chance to talk to him.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Craig, David R. (with Haddaway, Jeannie) (R)
    I recall these candidates saying they wanted to repeal SB281. I don't see anything on Craig's website about any 2A stuff.

This is from his website. After reading the website (exhaustively, I might add) he has my vote.

Instead of understanding the causes of mass shootings witnessed across the country and actually solving the problem, Maryland politicians rush to pass legislation in reaction to the latest headlines without enforcing laws that already exist. Under existing law, purchases of certain weapons are limited to one per month and require a background check and a seven-day waiting period. After dealers wait the required seven days they can release the gun to the purchaser, regardless if the background check has been completed or not. While this is the law, the State was purposely taking up to 100 days to complete these checks as a deterrent to gun purchasers. A law suit followed and as a result the courts made an initial ruling that the gun dealers didn't have to hold the inventory because they have no space to store firearms.

Since my election to the Havre De Grace city council in 1979, having later served in the Maryland General Assembly, and now as Harford County Executive, I believe that government should enable freedom and personal responsibility. I will work to repeal ill-conceived legislation such as Senate Bill 281 passed in 2013 that do nothing but undermine the 2nd amendment. I will protect the rights of responsible firearm owners and hunters. And I will support Maryland becoming a “shall issue” state to enable law-abiding citizens to protect themselves. Feel-good legislation will be replaced with vigorous enforcement and prosecution of gun crimes.

Nice! Updated and linked to your post. Thanks. I looked on the "issues" area of his site, and saw nothing. I still cant find that info. If you have a link to that on his site, I can post that too.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Both Craig and Haddaway are staunchly pro-2A, and are among our best friends out there. I've thoroughly enjoyed my conversations with them, and believe they would do very well.

That said (in the interest of full disclosure), I should mention that the other R candidates I've spoken with (George, Lollar, and Vaeth) are also pro-2A and very much in favor of carry rights (Vaeth maybe more from a LIbertarian slant).

I have yet to so much as hear that Hogan has been at public events, much less had a chance to talk to him.

Thanks again! Updates posted, except for Vaeth who is disqualified as of yesterday - http://electionsmaryland.com/elections/2014/primary_candidates/gen_listings_2014_1_003-.html

Mr H

Banana'd
    Thanks again! Updates posted, except for Vaeth who is disqualified as of yesterday - http://electionsmaryland.com/elections/2014/primary_candidates/gen_listings_2014_1_003-.html

Wasn't aware Vaeth was out. But, I'm not surprised, either.

He really wasn't viable, but he did bring an 'everyman' perspective to the conversation.

Oh... and reading the revised OP, the only reason I can surmise for Forehand retiring is (as RWBOW1969 might say) a chronic case of O. L. D.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Wasn't aware Vaeth was out. But, I'm not surprised, either.

He really wasn't viable, but he did bring an 'everyman' perspective to the conversation.

Oh... and reading the revised OP, the only reason I can surmise for Forehand retiring is (as RWBOW1969 might say) a chronic case of O. L. D.

Funny on the "O.L.D." :) I figure she knows it will be a tight race and that pro-2A would be looking to support a candidate running against her :)

Just researched a bit more, and it looks like Vaeth will appeal the decision:

"extremely disappointed by the Board’s decision." He said he would be appealing the "arbitrary and capricious decision."

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...cle_efbaab71-733b-51c3-bb57-b0790ca06b7a.html

Last edited:

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    This is my form email I am sending out. I sent out to all district 34 candidates, but turns out I was re-districted to 35 this year. So I will send out to district 35 as well.

Good Evening,

My name is xxxxxxx. I live in Cecil County and I am a voting resident of district 34B. I have taken note of your bid to run for public office and I have a few questions that are important to me, my family, and many of my friends.

What is your general stance regarding the 2nd Amendment ?

What do you think about the current gun laws in Maryland as they stand today ?

What is your opinion and stance on the passage of SB281 last year ?

What is your attitude towards an ordinary citizens right to carry a concealed firearm outside of the home for lawful self defense purposes ?

Do you believe that banning guns will lower violence in our communities ?

What is your opinion of the current Maryland State Police policy that a "good and substantial" reason must be proven to obtain a Maryland Concealed Firearm Permit (taking note that they do not deem self defense as a good and substantial reason) ?

Thank you for your time.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Candidate Replies

A few responses today, mostly general and pointing out me not knowing my district :innocent0 Well I did respond letting them know I would post all responses so their constituents would see it and it would be good if they could expand their responses a bit.

From Art Helton (For State Senator District 34):

"I am not running in Cecil County. All of District 34 is in Harford County now. Redistricting probably has you in district 35.. FYI I am a life long NRA member." -Art

From Bob Cassilly (For State Senator District 34):

"I am a strong supporter of 2nd Amendment rights and look forward to representing your interests in the General Assembly."

Thank you,

Bob Cassilly

From Jeff Dinger (For House of Delegates District 34B):

"This year the districts were changed based on submitted redistributing after the last election. District 34b no longer includes anyone outside of Harford County. It is geographically very concentrated around rt 543, rt 24, i95 and just some of the town of bel air and bel air north."

All the best,
    Jeff Dinger

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom