• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I just noticed this (bold) part of the senate bill that krucam linked:

5–133.1.
    ....(C) THE STATE POLICE SHALL ISSUE A HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT ON CERTIFICATION BY THE SECRETARY THAT THE APPLICANT:
    (4) BASED ON A CRIMINAL HISTORY RECORDS CHECK AND OTHER PERMISSIBLE RECORDS CHECK:

(I) IS NOT PROHIBITED BY FEDERAL OR STATE LAW FROM
    PURCHASING OR POSSESSING A HANDGUN; AND

(II) HAS NOT EXHIBITED A PROPENSITY FOR VIOLENCE OR INSTABILITY THAT MAY REASONABLY RENDER THE APPLICANT’S POSSESSION OF A HANDGUN A DANGER TO THE APPLICANT OR OTHERS.

I read this part as basically adopting a "may issue" purchase permit system. The wording can come across as "reasonable" ("Who wants unstable violent people to get a handgun???"), but as we know, think of the abuse potential.

Remember the Baltimore Citizen of the Year who lost his private detective license because MSP under AG Curran found he had pleaded guilty in the 1970's to his part in a bar fight started by a hippie who spit on him because he just got back from Vietnam. The guy had forgotten about the plea because "it just cleared things up and made it all go away." The guy was a model citizen for 35+ years and that didn't matter to Curran.

Under the bill, you don't need a criminal conviction to have this issue trip you up. You only need a "record" somewhere, say a police report of an incident that never got you charged in court. An incident like, say a heated dispute with a neighbor over their dog crapping on your yard. Or an argument with a contractor who screwed up your renovation. None of the incidents need to have any physical contact, only a demonstration of "instability" on your part.

The fact that these "purchase permits" are set up for five year expiration does NOT bode well. . .to me, it smells like a setup for a handgun OWNERSHIP licensing in the future.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Remember the Baltimore Citizen of the Year who lost his private detective license because MSP under AG Curran found he had pleaded guilty in the 1970's to his part in a bar fight started by a hippie who spit on him because he just got back from Vietnam. The guy had forgotten about the plea because "it just cleared things up and made it all go away." The guy was a model citizen for 35+ years and that didn't matter to Curran.
    I believe it was Curran who wrote the paper 'A Farewell to Arms' many years ago. Then, like now, his ilk just does not want any citizen (except for maybe political cronies) to own or carry a gun.

The fact that these "purchase permits" are set up for five year expiration does NOT bode well. . .to me, it smells like a setup for a handgun OWNERSHIP licensing in the future.
    I sadly agree. The first step was the handgun purchase 'card', or whatever it is called when we watch the video at a shop, or go online. Then a new step/restriction. Then another.....

Just like it used to be "you will never be pulled over just for not having you seatbelt buckled".

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I just noticed this (bold) part of the senate bill that krucam linked:

I read this part as basically adopting a "may issue" purchase permit system. The wording can come across as "reasonable" ("Who wants unstable violent people to get a handgun???"), but as we know, think of the abuse potential.

Under the bill, you don't need a criminal conviction to have this issue trip you up. You only need a "record" somewhere, say a police report of an incident that never got you charged in court. An incident like, say a heated dispute with a neighbor over their dog crapping on your yard. Or an argument with a contractor who screwed up your renovation. None of the incidents need to have any physical contact, only a demonstration of "instability" on your part.

Remember about two years ago I think it was either DE or NJ where they refused to permit a purchase of a handgun because the woman was too old? They used the excuse that a lot of people her age buy a handgun to commit suicide with, but she was really buying it for home protection. That state is a may issue state for handgun purchase.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I received a letter by mail today from Delegate Pat McDonough. He is PRO 2A
    I'm in 3A but good to hear someone from Baltimore, Harford county is Pro 2A.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    From Delegate Michael Smigiel's Facebook page, regarding the flurry of emails that stopped the AWB bill, referencing towards the upcoming Firearm Safety Act (gag) bills:

Michael Smigiel
    I know the communications from citizens are working because I hear the complaints. I hear the delegates say things like I got over a thousand e-mails but most were outside my district. Or I hear, I wish you'd tell those people to leave me alone and I reply are you red or green. If you are with us I will tell everyone to take you off the list of those who are against us. I even have heard a couple delegates say while smiling "I hate you, Smigiel" referring to the E-mails they have received. The point is it is working and we need to keep up the pressure. If you live in the district of a particular Senator or Delegate, call them as well and ask them to get involved in the efforts to defeat these bad bills.

Thank you all, you efforts are not in vain and we are making progress. Please keep up the pressure!

krucam

Ultimate Member
    BUMP!! and...to the MSI folks here regarding March 11th. What is the plan for 3/11?

Many people, and I may be one of them, will be taking the day off to attend one of these MANY hearings.

I'm hopeful that MSI will be attending and presenting testimony for HB683 as this is MSI's core issue.

What about the other resources? Where to put them, set up potential individuals to testify, particularly with the secondary (yet important) issues such as the so-called 'Firearm Safety Acts', HB820 & SB645?

Perhaps a new Thread, "March 11th Action Items" should be initiated...another MSI Update...it's time to start organizing and beginning this 2-week countdown...

Just sayin'....and a big thanks for the work you do! I'm ready to fight but it's time to start organizing, particularly if submitting testimony.

From the 2/15 MSI Update:

In this issue:

1. Bill Summaries and Hearing Dates
    2. HB683 - Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement - Action Required
    3. SB842 - Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Another State to Current or Former Member of the Armed Forces - Reciprocity
    4. Activist's Tools
    5. March 11th - The Main Event
    6. Workers needed for the MSI Table at Silverado Gun Show Feb 20-21
    7. MSI Cited Regarding Gun Owner Licensing Bills
    8. MSI will be on the radio this Saturday, February 20

1. Bill Summaries and Hearing Dates

<snip>

March 11
    HB354 Public Safety - Possession of Ammunition for Firearms - Penalties - Oppose - backdoor justification for the ammunition logs from HB1446 last year.
    HB683 Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement - Strongly Support - Repeals the "good and substantial" clause for the issuance of permits to carry a handgun.
    HB820 Firearm Safety Act of 2010 - Strongly Oppose - We covered our analysis of this bill here.
    HB893 Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Victims of Domestic Violence - Support
    HB905 Criminal Law - Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Exceptions - Support

SB44 Criminal Law - Use of Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony - Oppose
    SB167 Regulated Firearms - Application for Dealer's License - Record-Keeping and Reporting Requirements - Strongly Oppose - our response was covered here.
    SB191 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zones - Oppose - our response was covered here.
    SB274 Criminal Law - Violation of Restriction Against Possession of Firearms - Penalties - No position at this time
    SB516 Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2010 - Strongly Oppose - Our response was covered here.
    SB563 Public Safety - Possession of Ammunition for Firearms - Penalties - Oppose - backdoor justification for the ammunition logs from HB1446 last year.
    SB645 Firearm Safety Act of 2010 - Strongly Oppose - We covered our analysis of this bill here.
    SB743 Criminal Law - Handguns - Transport in Motor Vehicle by Nonresident - No position at this time
    SB842 Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Another State to Current or Former Member of the Armed Forces - Reciprocity - Support[/INDENT]

2. HB683 - Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement - Action Required

We told you about HB683, introduced by Delegate Riley in the February 7th Update. If you have not already done so, it is time to use the Activist's Tools to write to the House Judiciary Committee to ask for a favorable report on HB683. Just a reminder that these members of the committee voted against this legislation last year. It is important that as many people from those districts contact the members of the committee. The phone numbers for the committee can be found here.

3. SB842 - Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Another State to Current or Former Member of the Armed Forces - Reciprocity
    <snip>

4. Activist's Tools
    <snip>

5. March 11th - The Main Event
    As you've no doubt noticed, Thursday March 11 is the main event for our community for the 2010 General Assembly Session. On the surface, this is very convenient for those who wish to come but may only be able to get one day of leave from their work. However, the problem is that both the House and Senate hearings are scheduled for the exact same time, thus splitting our resources. This is a tactic that they've used in the past and we're not surprised that they chose to return to it as it demonstrates their desperation at trying to ram through some of their pet bills.

We are going to need a full turn out of everyone for this day of hearings, which will no doubt be long. If you value your rights and wish to have your presence felt, this is the day to be there. Even if you don't choose to testify, just showing up lets the committee members know where we stand on these bills. With the hearings being held simultaneously in two different buildings, we need you there.

As we get closer to the date, we will provide you with information on how to get there, where to park, etc.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I don't see anywhere in the bill that Veterans or Police officers are exempt from taking the required MSP saftey course! That is more fuel I am going to use in my letter. Below is part of letter #3 I am sending out.

"Do you really think a Combat Veteran such as myself or a Police officer should have to pay an unknown fee for training, pay an unknown fee every 5 years for a license when they have put their life on the line every day to protect Maryland's citizens? If you vote for this bill, it would be a slap in the face to every Maryland Veteran or Police Officer who has fought for the freedoms that our Constitution grants us!"

Do you really want to be labeled in an election year, as the Delegate who does not trust our Veterans to own firearms and protect their family?

Good One..:party29:

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    Below is a list of people who responded to my letters and said they will not support this bill. I hope we have more people against the bill than this.

Del. Joseph Minnick
    Del. Rick Impallaria
    Del. J.B Jennings
    Delegate Michael D. Smigiel, Sr.
    Del. Ted Sophocleus
    Del. Paul S. Stull
    Del. Wade Kach
    Del. Christopher B. Shank
    Del. Donald Elliott
    Del. Pam Beidle
    Del. Michael Weir
    Del. Steve Schuh
    Del. Aaron Jones
    Del. Galen Clagget

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Below is a list of people who responded to my letters and said they will not support this bill. I hope we have more people against the bill than this.

Del. Joseph Minnick
    Del. Rick Impallaria
    Del. J.B Jennings
    Del. Ted Sophocleus
    Del. Paul S. Stull
    Del. Wade Kach
    Del. Donald Elliott
    Del. Pam Beidle
    Del. Michael Weir
    Del. Steve Schuh
    Del. Aaron Jones
    Del. Galen Clagget

and ironically, Sophocleus submitted an anti-gun bill of his own.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Thanks Cpl.

Added 6 more Delegates opposed to HB820

Del. Joseph Minnick
    Del. Rick Impallaria
    Del. J.B Jennings
    Del. Ted Sophocleus
    Del. Paul S. Stull
    Del. Wade Kach
    Del. Donald Elliott
    Del. Pam Beidle
    Del. Michael Weir
    Del. Steve Schuh
    Del. Aaron Jones
    Del. Galen Clagget

Del. James E. Malone
    Del. Susan McComas
    Del. Don Dwyer
    Del Pat McDonough
    Del. Tony McConkey

Cease the 'Carpet Bombing' ladies and gents, removing the above in the upcoming 'Precision Bombing' runs over the next 2 weeks. :innocent0

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    Cease the 'Carpet Bombing' ladies and gents, removing the above in the upcoming 'Precision Bombing' runs over the next 2 weeks. :innocent0

I sent out a message earlier today to everyone on each of the judiciary committees. I did this because I have not heard back from anyone that I have emailed, called, or sent letters to (with the exception of Dwyer and Schmeigel). I will remove the above from the next send.

Thanks

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    Thanks Cpl.

Added 6 more Delegates opposed to HB820

Del. James E. Malone
    Del. Susan McComas
    Del. Don Dwyer
    Del Pat McDonough
    Del. Tony McConkey

Add Del. William Franks to the Delegate OPPOSED list

Add Sen. Jim Brochin to the senate OPPOSED list

:) I got reponses.... I was told that "it is not appropriate to discuss campaign donations on the legislator's state computers". As far as I'm concerned, I have every right to tell them "If you vote for this bill, I will find another use for my campaign funds"...

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Add Del. William Franks to the Delegate OPPOSED list

Add Sen. Jim Brochin to the senate OPPOSED list

:) I got reponses.... I was told that "it is not appropriate to discuss campaign donations on the legislator's state computers". As far as I'm concerned, I have every right to tell them "If you vote for this bill, I will find another use for my campaign funds"...

Brochin(D) may be the key vote for this bill getting killed in committee, just as his vote helped kill the numerous "assault weapons bans" of years past.

We must NEVER forget his help regarding our rights here in MD . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom