• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    I just called Del. Jennings office and spoke with his assistant who told me that he is not sure of this position as of this time but that they would get back to me. He also told me that they have been flooded with calls about this. Keep up the good work fellas!

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Just left a voicemail with the office of Delegate Guzzone expressing my distaste for the two bills, and asked for a call/letter back.

Spoke with a secretary (Victoria, I think) at the office of Pendergrass, and registered my displeasure with the bills (told her that my vote and money would go elsewhere), but she seemed more concerned with telling me that Pendergrass doesn't even look at bills that don't go before her committee.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    In Keeping With Creating a Flood...

OK folks.....now is the time to see what we are made of. You have the tools to do the job. It is up to every individual to do their part to put this bill down.

...I've sent a variety of missives asking that these bills be killed. My latest:

HB820 (and it's sister bill SB645) represents everything that is bad about the State's approach to crime.

This broad-brush legislation would affect every potential gun owner in Maryland and do nothing to stop the criminal element from preying on the general population.

The Bill’s requirement for a FOID (firearm owner identification) card in order to purchase a handgun violates a person’s right to have one for home protection.

Notating ownership of a firearm on drivers’ licenses profiles a large segment of society, setting up targeted groups for harassment and other shenanigans.

Bad guys will simply drive without a license just as they carry a gun without one.

You and I want the same thing; i.e., safe neighborhoods.

Set higher bail, reduce or eliminate parole, and stop plea bargaining the mandatory 5-year rule (use of a firearm in the commission of a crime).

Such action will have no bearing on me because I don’t commit crimes.

Passing HB820, on the other hand, will affect me adversely.

Please give this Bill an unfavorable report.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    ...I've sent a variety of missives asking that these bills be killed. My latest:

HB820 (and it's sister bill SB645) represents everything that is bad about the State's approach to crime.

This broad-brush legislation would affect every potential gun owner in Maryland and do nothing to stop the criminal element from preying on the general population.

The Bill’s requirement for a FOID (firearm owner identification) card in order to purchase a handgun violates a person’s right to have one for home protection.

Notating ownership of a firearm on drivers’ licenses profiles a large segment of society, setting up targeted groups for harassment and other shenanigans.

Bad guys will simply drive without a license just as they carry a gun without one.

You and I want the same thing; i.e., safe neighborhoods.

Set higher bail, reduce or eliminate parole, and stop plea bargaining the mandatory 5-year rule (use of a firearm in the commission of a crime).

Such action will have no bearing on me because I don’t commit crimes.

Passing HB820, on the other hand, will affect me adversely.

Please give this Bill an unfavorable report.

I'm sending my letters to Senate Judiciary committe tommorrow.
    If they're going to annotate drivers license's why not mark with,
    Convicted Fellon, Murderer, Sex Offender, convicted alcoholic, convicted
    robery, etc and the list goes on.......
    Call me crazy, why annotate the law abiding citizens...???? Go figure??

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I'm sending my letters to Senate Judiciary committe tommorrow.
    If they're going to annotate drivers license's why not mark with,
    Convicted Fellon, Murderer, Sex Offender, convicted alcoholic, convicted
    robery, etc and the list goes on.......
    Call me crazy, why annotate the law abiding citizens...???? Go figure??

Remember, this is Maryland. Only criminals have rights.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Another Delegate ON OUR SIDE Delegate Steve Schuh. email response from him today

Good Afternoon --

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to House Bill 820/Senate Bill 645 (Firearm Safety Act of 2010). I appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns with me.

I believe strongly in our natural right to protect our properties and our families. I therefore support "the rights of the people to keep and bear Arms." I will continue to oppose further encroachment on those rights, seek to roll back laws that unnecessarily infringe on the rights of the law-abiding citizen, and support more determined efforts to stop criminal violence.

Currently, HB 820 is before the House Judiciary Committee. For up-to-date information on HB 820 or other legislative initiatives in Annapolis, please visit the Maryland General Assembly's website at http://mlis.state.md.us to learn more.

Thank you again for your email.

Steve Schuh

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Wish I had thought earlier to create a listing of who is and isn't on our side. It would have been a good way for me to know who needs receive my "blasts" and who to thank for their support.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Response from Shane Pendergrass.

Dear coinboy,

Thank you for your e-mail in opposition to HB 820 entitled Firearm Safety Act of 2010 (http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/HB0820.htm). This bill will not be heard by my committee, Health and Government Operations. If HB 820 passes out of Committee and comes to the floor of the House for a vote, I will be sure to keep your comments in mind.

Again, Thank you for taking the time to contact me about an issue that is important to you. Knowing what my constituents think helps me do a better job in Annapolis.

Shane

Shane Pendergrass
    Delegate, District 13

Vice-Chair Health and Government Operations Committee

The Maryland House of Delegates

6 Bladen Street, Room 241

Annapolis MD 21401

Phone: 301-858-3139 or 1-800-492-7122 x 3139
    Fax: 301-858-3409

e-mail Shane.Pendergrass@house.state.md.us

Web: mlis.state.md.us

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    From the Office of Delegate Michael H. Weir, Jr.

Hello,

Delegate Weir asked me to thank you for taking the time to contact him regarding your opposition to HB 820 – Firearms Safety Act of 2010.

Delegate Weir also asked me to let you know that he believes this bill is more about gun control than safety and his position is simple and straightforward: He is against HB 820.

I thought you would like to know that Delegate Weir is a co-sponsor of HB – 683, Public Safety – Hand Guns Permit – Repeal of Finding Requirements, which would “repeal the requirement that the Secretary of State Police find that a person has a good and substantial reason to wear, carry or transport a handgun before issuing a handgun permit to the person.” HB 683 would allow law abiding qualified Maryland citizens to receive a permit that otherwise would have been denied under that requirement.

Sincerely,

Charles Fink

Office of Delegate Michael H. Weir, Jr.

6th Legislative District

Baltimore County, Maryland

(410) 391-7800

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I've seen references in some of the letters sent, and the thread topic might also be feeding the fire, but I do NOT see in either bill the reference to a notation on one's DL meantioned.

A Handgun Purchase Permit would be required, but thats a 2nd item apart from the DL. I'm opposed regardless BTW...

PDF's:
    HB820

SB645

I thought I'd seen the 'Scarlet G' reference a week or so ago, but I can not find that now. If someone wishes to re-read and contradict me, I welcome it.

I say this to make sure we don't misquote the bills when writing to our representatives and mis-representatives as it will reduce the credibility to the recipient if he/she knows that isn't the case.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Response from Delegate Guy Guzzone (District 13)

Thank you for contacting me about your opposition to House Bill 820, entitled the Firearm Safety Act of 2010. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know your feelings about this issue. Although this bill is not in my committee, I will keep your views in mind should this bill reach the floor of the House of Delegates.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

All the best,

Guy Guzzone
    Delegate
    6 Bladen Street
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    410-841-3471
    301-858-3471

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    I don't see anywhere in the bill that Veterans or Police officers are exempt from taking the required MSP saftey course! That is more fuel I am going to use in my letter. Below is part of letter #3 I am sending out.

"Do you really think a Combat Veteran such as myself or a Police officer should have to pay an unknown fee for training, pay an unknown fee every 5 years for a license when they have put their life on the line every day to protect Maryland's citizens? If you vote for this bill, it would be a slap in the face to every Maryland Veteran or Police Officer who has fought for the freedoms that our Constitution grants us!"

Do you really want to be labeled in an election year, as the Delegate who does not trust our Veterans to own firearms and protect their family?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom