• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I took a driver improvement course almost 10 years ago, and the instructor stated then that MDSP was going to depart from traffic duties at some point and take on more duties like the FBI, and let MTA take over traffic. Have yet too see the change, but steadily seeing an increase of MTA officers further from the bridge that divides us...

The rumor was that both would merge and the Troopers of the MSP would turn into an investigative agency much like Texas Rangers are for Texas Highway Patrol and MTAP (the more common slang term among LE agencies for the Transportation Authority Police) would assume "Trooper" duties throughout the state.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    It's bad enough that they play Radar Tag a full 5 MILES from the Bay Bridge, but it's that MdTA "culture" spreading out to other roadways that has me concerned.

I will not soon forget a 30-minute stop at 2am over a license plate bulb, when a quick "Hey, your bulb is out" would have sufficed.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    just a note that as far as I know MVA or NCIC doesn't currently flag drivers License's with gun ownership. Although I can see them doing that one day but as of today I'm not aware of that.

No, but you can run a CWQ query through NLETS, if the state you are querying has automated records.

https://www.nlets.org/nlets-resourc...cumentid=98232c82-0451-11e3-bd4a-00155d003202

http://www.lawofficer.com/article/p...ns/10_nlets_data_sets_you_need_to_know_part_5

NLETS supports this transaction in legacy text, as well as XML. Participating states as of 2010 (database holders) include Alaska, Arkansas, Florida, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia and Wyoming. The number of participating states may have increased since then.

Pretty easy to imagine that an officer working the highways would run a CWQ on any out of state drivers they encounter.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    With the current trend in gun ownership, any such flags soon won't be much more than sorting out people with green eyes - to most LEO's it could even be a plus ... how many violent criminals are legal owners?

Any buttheads using the databases to profile owners would soon be in the sights of NRA, NAGR, SAF, etc

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    What of Utah permit holders? Many of us are.

I traverse the ft mchenry and harbor tunnels and the key bridge frequently with pro gun stickers all over my vehicle and also hold a Utah non-res permit, hql, and have registered firearms. I haven't been pulled over in 4 years and that was before I owned firearms (and the officer read my tag wrong at that).

I don't buy it that these people are being targeted solely for their carry permits.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

I traverse the ft mchenry and harbor tunnels and the key bridge frequently with pro gun stickers all over my vehicle and also hold a Utah non-res permit, hql, and have registered firearms. I haven't been pulled over in 4 years and that was before I owned firearms (and the officer read my tag wrong at that).

I don't buy it that these people are being targeted solely for their carry permits.

What a concept.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    He was issued a "speeding warning" - does that constitute PC?

I hate playing the "what if" game, but does going 56 in a 55 be all that would be needed to get pulled over for a search? :sad20:

Pulled over yes, search depends on many factors. And some states do attach information on drivers license records that says they have a concealed weapon license. And they are all pro gun states, Florida is one of them, I can't remember the others. In short, if your from out of state and are carrying on your states license in Maryland you damn sure better be careful.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    The rumor was that both would merge and the Troopers of the MSP would turn into an investigative agency much like Texas Rangers are for Texas Highway Patrol and MTAP (the more common slang term among LE agencies for the Transportation Authority Police) would assume "Trooper" duties throughout the state.

The problem would be its two completely different cultures. I would love to see how some of the MDTA cops assimilate into the MSP. They would never put the numbers up the MSP does state wide. For example the barrack in AACO has put up almost 500 DUIs last year alone. That's with approximately 30 or so troopers at the barrack. 3-4 troopers covering an entire county during a shift. Not counting traffic stops, CDS arrests, vehicle collisions, repair orders ect ect. And in many counties the MSP is still a full service agency that works closely with local departments. Only in the Metro areas the MSP is primarily traffic.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The problem would be its two completely different cultures. I would love to see how some of the MDTA cops assimilate into the MSP. They would never put the numbers up the MSP does state wide. For example the barrack in AACO has put up almost 500 DUIs last year alone. That's with approximately 30 or so troopers at the barrack. 3-4 troopers covering an entire county during a shift. Not counting traffic stops, CDS arrests, vehicle collisions, repair orders ect ect. And in many counties the MSP is still a full service agency that works closely with local departments. Only in the Metro areas the MSP is primarily traffic.
    True. This is why nothing has become of it. :thumbup:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013

Me too. They are not being targeted because they have permits, they are being given extra special attention after they have been pulled over for speeding or safety violations.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Had most of these people exercised their right to shut their freakin mouths when the police officer went beyond licence/registration they probably would not have had an issue nor would they have provided anything that resembled PC

"Am I being detained officer?"

"Am I free to go?"

rinse and repeat

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It's bad enough that they play Radar Tag a full 5 MILES from the Bay Bridge, but it's that MdTA "culture" spreading out to other roadways that has me concerned.

I will not soon forget a 30-minute stop at 2am over a license plate bulb, when a quick "Hey, your bulb is out" would have sufficed.

If you see a cruiser with a rectangular black box on each back corner of the trunk, that squad is equipped with license plate readers, and you've probably been read.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Police use LInX . More info than they need unless you live in a Police state.
    There is a system in MD, I think GUNS is a program that some officers can log on and see gun ownership.
    Then there was a internet based program that officers use to tell others about possible offenders.
    Guy gets pulled over in Ga, has a FL permit, its good in GA. Tell officer about firearm. No problem. during the stop, guy tell officer he is on way to New England. Officer puts info on the internet and MDTA Officer Day sees it and makes note.
    Officer Day sees car makes stop. The rest is history.

Just my short experience, but not many patrol guys I know use these programs. It's just another boatload of passwords to remember and re-certs to go off to baltimore, MSP to take. I get it's the principle of the matter, but nonetheless.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    My take on the Florida guy: Officer Posterior Aperture suddenly smelled marijuana when he saw an opportunity to slam down an upstanding citizen who happens to own a gun. (Officer supposedly saw the carry permit when the guy was digging for his DL.)

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    If you see a cruiser with a rectangular black box on each back corner of the trunk, that squad is equipped with license plate readers, and you've probably been read.

if you go through a toll, bridge, or down I95 and plenty of other places nobody knows about, you've been read.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    My take on the Florida guy: Officer Posterior Aperture suddenly smelled marijuana when he saw an opportunity to slam down an upstanding citizen who happens to own a gun. (Officer supposedly saw the carry permit when the guy was digging for his DL.)

That's what I sense too.

No Federal system will push data to a console - it has to be pulled by a user query. And since it's built and run by the lowest bidder, I'm sure it doesn't work all the time.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    if you go through a toll, bridge, or down I95 and plenty of other places nobody knows about, you've been read.

When a plate is read is it the information of the registered owner, regardless of who's driving the vehicle? (I guess so) What about company owned vehicles, what could possibly be complied or available from an database? It seems the driver would be completely anonomous until his DL is ran.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    When a plate is read is it the information of the registered owner, regardless of who's driving the vehicle? (I guess so) What about company owned vehicles, what could possibly be complied or available from an database? It seems the driver would be completely anonomous until his DL is ran.

Your basically right and also when a plate is read via the ones on the cop cars NO THER INFORMATION BESIDES YOUR TAGS PICTURE POPS UP.......unless its a stolen car, felony vehicle, silver/amber alert, or scofflaw (or however that's spelled)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Your basically right and also when a plate is read via the ones on the cop cars NO THER INFORMATION BESIDES YOUR TAGS PICTURE POPS UP.......unless its a stolen car, felony vehicle, silver/amber alert, or scofflaw (or however that's spelled)

Or overdue emissions test ... any other registration violation/suspension

Short data compromises its value

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom