• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have never heard or read anything to that effect. If it is out there he needs to be beaten over the head with it. Please find it . . .

I have mentioned it on other threads. I don't have to look for it, or find it, I have it in writing. Written on Pallozzi's behalf on MSP letterhead by one of his Division Commanders (at his request) in response to a letter I sent him. No, I will not post it because it includes information related to my pending application which is personal and private, and frankly I want the entire process to run its course on its own before I "beat anyone over the head with it."

But make no mistake, it says "Both Governor Hogan and Colonel Pallozzi are concerned about the safety and welfare of the citizens of Maryland, as well as their right to legitimately own and carry firearms." It was a cordial letter indicating my application would be processed and that I could expect to hear back in 90 days. Admittedly, it offered no insight on old versus revised policies. Since then I have been treated very professionally by the investigating trooper who is doing a thorough job on my background checks. That's all I know.

Yes, I am disappointed there hasn't been more obvious change in policy, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Keeping the pressure on and attention to the issue and our expectations is important, but I see no reason to actually throw anyone under the bus until enough of us really know for sure there isn't going to be change. I'll be happy to heat the proverbial tar and sharpen the pitch forks at the right time, but we are no where near that yet.

Go ahead and argue that this statement is just another "I support the 2A" type statement, and maybe you will be correct on that as well, but consider it was written in response to cover letter forwarding an application for a carry & wear permit. How should an applicant reasonably treat that statement? So while I am not convinced there have been any changes to the prior "anti" administrations strict no permit for anyone but the privileged policies (and damn those desiring self-defense in this crime ridden state), it leaves me with hope that Hogan and Pallozzi will really "Change Maryland." I'll know what that means relative to carry permits in a month and a half or so. YMMV

Please, go out and do something to support the cause other than continually prognosticate that nothing in Maryland will ever change.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    14 Appeal.
    A. Informal Review.
    (1) A person whose original or renewal permit application is denied or whose permit is revoked or limited may submit a
    written request to the Secretary for an informal review within ten days after receipt of the notice of denial, revocation, or limitation.
    (2) Upon receipt of a valid request, the Secretary shall review the action under informal review and may include a personal interview of the person requesting the informal review.
    (3) The Secretary shall sustain, reverse, or modify the action under informal review and provide written notification to the person who requested the informal review within 30 days after receipt of the request for informal review.
    (4) An informal review is not subject to State Government Article, Title 10, Subtitle 2, Annotated Code of Maryland. B. Handgun Permit Review Board.
    (1) A person whose original or renewal permit application is denied or whose permit is revoked or limited may submit a written request to the Board to review the decision of the Secretary within ten days after receipt of the notice of denial, revocation, or limitation.
    (2) A person whose original or renewal permit application is not acted on by the Secretary within 90 days after submitting the application to the Secretary may submit a written request to the Board for a hearing.

and this is all comar has to say about the hprb. while the secretary shall find this or that, investigations yada yada, the hprb has no such restrictions. to my lawman's understanding, they can grant or uphold for any reason they want.

one member has been replaced this year already. 4 more will be replaced in the next 3 years.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Next question does anybody know any court precedent dealing with the handgun permit review board?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Please, go out and do something to support the cause other than continually prognosticate that nothing in Maryland will ever change.

I've seen this state change immensely (born and resided here my entire life). Everyone has their own view if for better or worse. While the rest of the country relaxes gun laws, we get FSA2013. I can only go on what really happens in Maryland, not hope. If you received a letter Hogan cares, then be optimistic indeed.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I've seen this state change immensely (born and resided here my entire life). Everyone has their own view if for better or worse. While the rest of the country relaxes gun laws, we get FSA2013. I can only go on what really happens in Maryland, not hope. If you received a letter Hogan cares, then be optimistic indeed.

Same here, and I agree it has no doubt changed for the worse. I am comforted somewhat because I know we are on the right side of this issue. We just need to keep up the pressure, insist on not being treated like second class Americans, and stop electing ass hats that see nothing wrong with denying the fundamental rights of the common man. Hogan has been a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stinky cesspool. I support what he's trying to accomplish, but above all else the 2A and fundamental rights remain my litmus test, and improvements are already within his power and authority to make through Pallozzi and G&S.

The riots couldn't have been better timed. The Mayor just let thousands of her constituents burn, loot and destroy the city and assault innocent people along the way. Now we have increasing and record shootings and murders. There couldn't be a better example of where the government and its police force were not only "not obligated" to protect you and your property, but where the government and its elected officials where complicit in the illegality. No, I am not talking about the individual officers, several of which are my family and close friends. But Hogan and Pallozzi walked those streets, and better than before they ought to recognize the need to restore law-abiding individual's right to self-defense. After mobilizing the NG, Hogan eventually declared the City reopened and safe, and three hours later an illegal gun falls out of a suspects pants and discharges. :sad20:

It's up to each of us as individuals to protect ourselves and our families where ever we may be, and it should be obvious to all that the threats we face are more prevalent while outside the home versus inside. Perhaps I am just setting myself up for disappointment, but I know that my concerns are valid and legitimate. Now I just wait.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Next question does anybody know any court precedent dealing with the handgun permit review board?

MSP and likely the HGPRB will point you to Scherr and Snowden. In fact MSP has conveniently provided copies of those two cases on their website here:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...Registration/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

However, do not be duped by the MSP into believing that either of these cases prohibit Pallozzi from exercising his own discretion and implementing his own SOP on G&S. That's a cop out. Pallozzi is not bound to use the standards in those two cases. The operative statute (PS 5-306), as well as these cases, and even the 4th Circuit's opinion in the Woollard case, confirm that the legislature has granted and vested discretion to decide G&S with the current Superintendent of the State Police. All those two cases say is the then current Super didn't abuse his discretion in using the standard he chose to implement. If Pallozzi implements a new SOP on G&S the HGPRB would be obligated to review denials under that standard. Sure it is true that Pallozzi may use the old, tired, restrictive standard, but he is not obligated to if his conscience dictates otherwise. For this reason, I would not suggest skipping an informal and going to the HGPRB until it is known that a new SOP has been issued. Prior to that happening, the HGPRB will just keep using the standard found in Scherr and Snowden, and almost all will be denied. Keep in mind, the HGPRB has no authority to review permits that have been approved, its just the appeal mechanism for "not approved" and "denieds." JMHO.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    There was a hearing tonight, it was interesting. The next meeting is Tuesday June 17, 1900 at the Glenn Burnie Barracks.

Next meeting is tonight June 16th at 1800 (6pm), show up at 1900(7pm), you basically missed it.

EDIT: Opps did not realize this thread started in 2014.. But still true that there is a meeting tonight at 6pm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom