• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    From the front page of the Cecil Whig today is an article calling for a new law making "celebratory gunfire" a felony. This is in response to a tragedy last year when a little girl was hit by an errant round that was apparently fired into the air to celebrate New Years Eve

Here is a link to the story in the online Cecil Whig which the excerpt below comes from:
    http://www.cecildaily.com/news/local_news/article_6f22bf12-6203-5a8b-b2f8-88217f0d42a1.html

Their mission: Rally for a law that directly prohibits “celebratory gunfire” and any other type of negligent skyward discharge of a firearm. The gist is, they want to make such shootings a felony.

“Convicted felons are not allowed to possess guns,” Jim Blackburn reasoned.

They also see a specific law against indiscriminately firing guns upward as a way to leverage plea deals with the applicable charges already on the books.

Cheri appreciates that people have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, she said. But, she added, that right comes with responsibility.

“It’s on the same lines as someone losing his or her driver’s license because of violations,” she said. “I don’t think any of us are anti-gun; we’re anti-irresponsibility.”

The shooter has never been identified in this case so no charges have been filed although a number of existing laws were broken.

In my opinion the effort would be better spent making firearms safety a mandatory curriculum in schools. Starting with Eddy Eagle programs and age appropriate programs in higher grades. Knowledgeable shooters are safe shooters. People trained in gun safety and proper gun handling would never cause a tragedy such as this.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not sure there is a cure for someone stupid enough to indiscriminately fire a gun into the air.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Another feel good law that is already covered by existing laws.

They should pass a law saying that before a bill can become a law a search must be made to see if another law already covers the same ground. If so, only enact the new one with the automatic repeal of the other or just leave the old one in place.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Seems to me that Felony should really be reserved for the worst violent crime. A guy who shoots a gun off in the air in the same category as a Rapist and Murderer...etc. No I don't agree. I know most everything is a felony today but adding another is not a good idea if you ask me.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's tragic and stupid that this happens at all.

Making it illegal isn't going to change anything. When I lived in another part of Dundalk some years ago, a former neighbor fired his 12ga on New Years in his backyard. This was Logan Village, where there's townhomes and single-family homes within a few yards of one another. The police were called and showed up, but I'm not aware of the penalties given to him. Thankfully, no one was hurt. Firing a gun in your backyard in Dundalk is no doubt illegal, but alcohol and carelessness will make anything legal...

I'm sure the people responsible for the deaths/injuries who've not yet come forward know that they are being looked for. I don't know how those people can live with themselves.

Yeti Poacher

Dec 11, 2012
    Hunt Valley
    You can't legislate responsibility

This is the core of a successful society. When people take responsibility for themselves and others in order to live in peace. Not because it is the law and you will get in trouble by not following it but because it will benefit everyone.

This state and federal government relishes in making people dependent.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    From what I was taught in the academy it already is a felony.

Generally CR 2-207(a) FELONY $500.00 - 10 YEARS PRELIMINARY HEARING SUB. CONVICTION, ENHANCED PENALTY **MANSLAUGHTER** ...did, feloniously, without malice aforethought, kill and slay ______. NOTE: This section may not be used when the killing resulted unintentionally from the negligent operation of a motor vehicle or boat. In that event, the proper statute to use is Sec. 2-209. HOWEVER, IF THE ALLEGATION IS THAT THE DEATH OCCURRED BECAUSE OF THE INTENTIONAL OPERATION OF A MOTOR VEHICLE OR BOAT SO AS TO CAUSE INJURY OR IMPACT, SUCH AS RUNNING OVER THE VICTIM WITH AN AUTOMOBILE, USE THIS SECTION.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's for the children.

After all, it's not like there's any consequences or cost involved in passing a thousand or so new laws every year.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    So if I'm on my private property shooting clays, would that now be a felony?

If I'm on my private property shooting clays with my m1 garand, would that be a felony?

If I'm on my private property shooting clays with my Stoeger S2000 shotgun, would that be a felony?

If I'm on my private property shooting clays with my Stoeger S2000 shotgun, with slugs, would that be a felony?

I mean how do you legislate something like this? Guess what guys, if you've ever been bird hunting before, you are SUPPOSED to shoot in the air. Many consider it unethical to shoot a duck in the water. Should I go out with my 50 cal and shoot it in the air... NO dumb ass. I guess so many people are down for legislating stupid these days, why not.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    We have a tradition of setting off a black powder cannon every New Years Eve. No projectile, just wadding. Perfectly safe. Depending on how this law was worded, I'd be guilty of a felony. So might others, who similarly fire a BP pistol or rifle without a projectile.

Discharging an actual bullet into the air is moronic and negligent, and is probably already covered by existing laws.

Scratched onto a piece of slate and carried by specially trained prehistoric birds.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    I'm not sure there is a cure for someone stupid enough to indiscriminately fire a gun into the air.

Hmm, I do all day long at the clays range.
    :innocent0

No, you don't. You are not firing "indiscriminately" into the air. You are shooting at a "target", in an area with a sufficient safety zone for you to do so. Therefore, you are not the potential arch-criminal felon that you make yourself out to be....at least not in this particular circumstance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom