• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At the Fredrick Show , ATF booth is adjacent to MSI booth .

Was having a discussion with a show attendee about magazine pinning , so I stepped over to the horse's mouth for the definitive answer .

001 and 002 FFL MAY block , pin , etc Magazines .

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I would not trust anything just told to me without a document to back it up. I have also heard that while they can pin them, they are supposed to be done in a way that cannot be undone.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That wasn't the question .

The question is what class of FFL is permitted to do that . Some Md Dealers won't do so , claiming that only Class 007 is authorized to do so .

That was refuted by ATF . Class 001 ( regular gun store ) and 002 ( pawn shop ) may legally modify magazines , without needing to have Class 007 ( manufacturer ) .

Maryland's 10rd law regarding blocking/pinning is very vague. When Masada was still open, we pinned magazines with devices from magblocks.com. Our philosophy was that if we used a product specifically marketed as a magazine block we would have a better chance in court if it ever became an issue with MSP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I would not trust anything just told to me without a document to back it up. I have also heard that while they can pin them, they are supposed to be done in a way that cannot be undone.

Didn't get into those specifics , just that no barrier to 001 and 002 doing so .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nothing to that effect in Statute or COMAR . But facts or lack thereof have little conection to individuals of MSP moving their lips

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So a gun owner with no FFL can't pin a magazine before selling it? Is this yet another law that can't be proven in court if charged?
    I'd imagine you could. The law only forbids modifying or manufacturing a magazine to over 10 rounds if you aren't a manufacturer/dealer.

Also MD law is mum on how. It just says it can't be more than 10 rounds capacity. Dropping a piece of pencil in there that prevents 10 rounds from being load would comply with the law.

Now, would it comply with what MSP would tell you or a DA? Possibly not. But there is NOTHING in law saying a magazine must be permanently modified to not accept 10 rounds. If that was the case, then even 10 round factory magazines would need their base plates welded/pinned/epoxied in place to prevent you from modifying them to accept more capacity.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Captain Obvious checking in...

Maryland laws are nonsensical and poorly written.

Carry on.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No federal barrier that is.

There are MD 01s being told by MSP that for state purposes, only “manufacturers” can make such changes to mags.

If it’s not written in the MD law then MSP can fvck off. They’d be hard pressed to win a case against an FFL for pinning a mag to be on compliance with MD law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    So a gun owner with no FFL can't pin a magazine before selling it? Is this yet another law that can't be proven in court if charged?
    Regulations regarding limitations on particular classes of ATF licenses (dealer, manufacturer, etc.) only apply to those in the business of dealing in or manufacturing firearms and ammunition. You can pin away personally-owned mags to your heart's content; there is no law , state or Federal, that says you can't.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    This cannot be enforced anyway, it is just another stumbling block for MD FFLs that often limits what products the gun buyer has access to. OTOH, Thanks for the posts as it may comfort some FFLs minds in our scary State.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom