• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Joined July 2012 because a shooting buddy mentioned this was a good group. Some of the posts make me laugh out loud. Some make me cringe, but I encourage "newbies" to the shooting world to post away. None of us were born with gun smarts. Hell. Some of us still don't have gun smarts. As for the 13ers. Well, here is what I worry about most. When the big, buy an AR craze hit, a lot of people who have no idea about firearms ran out and bought an AR. Then they took it home, held it to their shoulder and went.. "peeew!, peeew!, peeew! ", and put it in the closet and thought they were protected at home. No thought about safety, children, proper training, or how to secure the weapon against unauthorized access. The other thing is that "most" home burglars can read to some extent. They realize there are hundreds of homes out there with ARs and other weapons in them unsecured, just ripe for the picking. This indeed, worries me.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    When the big, buy an AR craze hit, a lot of people who have no idea about firearms ran out and bought an AR. Then they took it home, held it to their shoulder and went.. "peeew!, peeew!, peeew! ", and put it in the closet and thought they were protected at home. No thought about safety, children, proper training, or how to secure the weapon against unauthorized access.

I have an AR-15 HBAR that I bought recently because it seemed like a fun thing to take to the range and enjoy shooting. I can't even fathom trying to use it for home defense. I'd be far too worried about shooting at an intruder and end up hitting someone asleep in their bed in the house across the street. Not worth it.

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    I lurked intermittently.

Mainly because I hadn't had actually arrived to MD yet.

Now i'm here, and I plan to be reasonably active.

Fox Mike

Apr 24, 2010
    Havre de Grace
    I have been around since April of 2010 but mostly come here for information rather than discussion. This site keeps me updated as to what is happening in and around Maryland as far as political views and happenings as well as when local shows scheduled.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have an AR-15 HBAR that I bought recently because it seemed like a fun thing to take to the range and enjoy shooting. I can't even fathom trying to use it for home defense. I'd be far too worried about shooting at an intruder and end up hitting someone asleep in their bed in the house across the street. Not worth it.

You have no idea how wrong you are in that assumption. A 55gr bullet will not go through the walls of your house, then go through the walls of the house across the street, and finally hit somebody with enough force to wound. Upon hitting sheetrock/drywall the bullet dissipates a lot of its energy. The most it will do is go through 2 sheets of hung sheetrock, with framing between them.

While not everybody knows or understands ballistics, we need to know what has the least amount of over penetration if we are using it for home defense. Do your research.

Feb 28, 2013
    It's about kinetics. A lighter projectile, even though it's moving faster, is easier to stop than a heavier, slower one.

JRMills

Feb 20, 2012
    USA
    Lol well if I go with ALOT of people, kindly walk up to the guard shack and ask for the keys I might not get shot...

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    You have no idea how wrong you are in that assumption. A 55gr bullet will not go through the walls of your house, then go through the walls of the house across the street, and finally hit somebody with enough force to wound. Upon hitting sheetrock/drywall the bullet dissipates a lot of its energy. The most it will do is go through 2 sheets of hung sheetrock, with framing between them.

While not everybody knows or understands ballistics, we need to know what has the least amount of over penetration if we are using it for home defense. Do your research.

I did not say anything about assuming anything. What I expressed was concern for "knowing my target and what is beyond". I also said it is NOT an HD gun; it's a range gun. And because I don't know the details of the ballistics and penetration characteristics, I expressed concern about its appropriateness for HD. Further, research conducted using The Box o' Truth suggests concerns about where rounds will go is warranted: "When you shoot a 5.56 into walls, you cannot be sure where the flight path of the bullet will go. This is an important consideration if others are in your home." "Sheetrock (drywall) doesn’t slow any round down much. If you shoot in the house, walls will not stop any serious round." "Contrary to what we have been told, XM-193 does not seem to “fragment” when shot into drywall walls. After we were through for the day, we even shot several more rounds of XM-193 into the walls to see if we could get one to fragment. They did not. It is clear that they were tumbling and deviating from the flight path, but they were still penetrating the walls."

On examination of several types of ammo, they noted "anything that will stop a bad guy, will also penetrate several walls." Which goes back to knowing your target and what is beyond.

manx

Aug 29, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I'm a long time lurker, 2 posts in 6 years before today :)

I've learned almost everything I know about guns either from here, or from taking classes I've found out about here.

I'll probably continue to mostly lurk, but I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge.

JLuck66

Jun 16, 2013
    So. Md.
    Lurker?

I suppose I am defined as a lurker. I joined this site to occasionally use it as a reference for topics I have questions about. If I am looked down on for looking for accurate information from those that may provide it, so sorry. Any members wishing that I unjoin, speak up. In the meantime I hope this site continues to provide the occasional accurate information concerning firearms in the state of Md.
    Thank You Very Much.

Cyra

Mrs. Glaron
    Feb 4, 2014
    Lurker....me???!!!

Well you can see by my post count that I really do not have much to say......as of right now!

My husband purchased my very first firearm last year as an anniversary gift and I am just getting used to holding shooting and cleaning the little puppy.

For now I consider myself a novice and am spending more time learning from the folks on this site, than I can contribute.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    — ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Feb 28, 2013
    Well you can see by my post count that I really do not have much to say......as of right now!

My husband purchased my very first firearm last year as an anniversary gift and I am just getting used to holding shooting and cleaning the little puppy.

Sounds like you need to start a thread in the handgun section. Post a picture of the gun, for starters.

I'm still trying to get MY misses to do that.

For now I consider myself a novice and am spending more time learning from the folks on this site, than I can contribute.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    — ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Well, I've seen wisdom defined as not knowing all the answers, but asking questions and knowing where to find the answers.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom