• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    View attachment 463494 View attachment 463495 View attachment 463496

Here's my old m&p9 compact(now subcompact size in 2.0) next to my 43xmos. They're roughly the same height and length with a +2 mag in the m&p, but the 43x is much easier to carry and I shoot better with it. The lighter weight and narrow width makes the 43x easy to carry(even with the sight popping up above the slide). The g19 length grip makes it easy to shoot.

If it's specifically for carry, I'd check out the hellcat, p365, and g43xmos (specifically the mos version to get a rail and ability to mount a red dot). If it's not for carry, then stick with full size. Cz makes some great guns for the money.
    Careful buying CZs, man. They have babies in your safe.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I have been putting some thought into getting my first compact potentially for carry in the future
    Consider the older Berettas, in .32 and .380

Beretta 380

These are available on the used market.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day , 5 ish inch bbl pistols were normal service size , and 4 - 4.25 inch were compacts . Nowadays , 4 inch - ish , G19 - ish sized are full size duty guns , and what used to be Micro , is now called ' compact " .

Not that I am discouraging the Carry of guns in the P228 to Commander size range . just reporting the devolution of the semantics , and steering the conversation to be sort of on the same page .

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Get good feel for what snappy means with the compact. Shoot them with ammo that will be in your carry gun. HST, Critical defense, etc, will have a lot more "snap" than cheap range ammo.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Get good feel for what snappy means with the compact. Shoot them with ammo that will be in your carry gun. HST, Critical defense, etc, will have a lot more "snap" than cheap range ammo.
    Hey, I load my 115s to 1250-1300 out of my g34 or full size cz.....mainly because mousefart ammo won't cycle my mp5 and then I don't have to do two separate runs.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    For a “compact”, I can recommend the Walther PDP Compact (4” barrel). It fills the hand, unlike the very popular “subcompact” or “micro-compact” pistols prevalent today. The PDP shoots like a full-size pistol, and has great ergonomics. It’s #2 in my carry rotation, and might take over the top spot (#1 is a Sig P365XL).

The Sig conceals slightly better, using the same make and model Werkz appendix IWB holster, but only better when sitting and standing repeatedly, or in the car. They both like to pop up and print, but the Sig holds its position a little better. Standing and normal walking I feel the Walther is a bit better (obviously purely subjective in my mind since it’s a bigger and fatter pistol).

I agree with Biggfoot44 about the terminology of micro, compact, subcompact, etc...You need to fully understand what those terms mean these days, and they do shoot differently. As Sundazes points out, the smaller ones can get pretty “snappy” , especially with the more potent defense ammo. My 365XL with the Underwood Extreme Penetrator defensive load isn’t something you want to put 250-300 rounds through in an afternoon but absolutely trust it to get the job done if something goes sideways in a bad situation. The PDP would be better suited for those high volume range sessions.

Just my $0.02

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yup, although some of these newer designs of micro compacts are crazy controllable. Here's my g43x with a PSA micro dagger c1 slide on it. The slide porting and extra weight out front really tame the recoil. The slide ported sig p365 variants are similar.

Although even without porting, they're pretty shootable. Here's the 43xmos with all stock parts(except the 407k green on it at the time).

I'm eager to try this next PSA shootout with the ported slide.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On the theme from ALBrieght :

For totally or essentially new to handguns people ( whom are otherwise predisposed for bottomfeeders ) . for a " first gun " that may well be an " only gun " , I have a default ( descriptive ) recomendation :

9mm
    Polymer or Alloy frame
    +/- 4 inch bbl ( say 3.75 to 4.25 )

A handle that fits all of * their * fingers , with minimal left over .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I have a Beretta 92fs currently.

Check out a CZ P01 or PCR. The primary difference is the first has a rail.

DA/SA with a decocker, so function will be familiar. About the size of a Glock 19. For me the grip feels like it melts into my hand.

2a Sales in Jessup usually has them in stock.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    For a “compact”, I can recommend the Walther PDP Compact (4” barrel). It fills the hand, unlike the very popular “subcompact” or “micro-compact” pistols prevalent today. The PDP shoots like a full-size pistol, and has great ergonomics. It’s #2 in my carry rotation, and might take over the top spot (#1 is a Sig P365XL).

The Sig conceals slightly better, using the same make and model Werkz appendix IWB holster, but only better when sitting and standing repeatedly, or in the car. They both like to pop up and print, but the Sig holds its position a little better. Standing and normal walking I feel the Walther is a bit better (obviously purely subjective in my mind since it’s a bigger and fatter pistol).

I agree with Biggfoot44 about the terminology of micro, compact, subcompact, etc...You need to fully understand what those terms mean these days, and they do shoot differently. As Sundazes points out, the smaller ones can get pretty “snappy” , especially with the more potent defense ammo. My 365XL with the Underwood Extreme Penetrator defensive load isn’t something you want to put 250-300 rounds through in an afternoon but absolutely trust it to get the job done if something goes sideways in a bad situation. The PDP would be better suited for those high volume range sessions.

Just my $0.02
    Yea, I love my Sig 1911U. Most call it a “ultra compact” even though it’s the size of a Colt Commander.

IMG_4592.jpeg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you have relatively small hands and you're shooting an M9 well, I think you're already an anomaly. I have no better advise than what Blaster offered.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    For what its worth my niece, smaller hands, always carried one of my G19's until she held my P365X

I haven't seen it since! probably need another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom