Letting my son or daughter shoot my Guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter.50cal

Oct 5, 2012
    Annapolis
    Under the new law can I hand my son or daughter a handgun or long gun that I legally own at a range (public or private) and let them shoot?

I have heard both yes and no so I would like a definite answer. Personally I think I can but I am not a lawyer.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Under the new law can I hand my son or daughter a handgun or long gun that I legally own at a range (public or private) and let them shoot?

I have heard both yes and no so I would like a definite answer. Personally I think I can but I am not a lawyer.

Long guns that are not AWs, not a problem. There is an issue for so called large capacity mags (over 10 rounds), AWs and handguns. For these items, it depends on what "receive" means. See http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2583572&postcount=7

Underage possession of a handgun is expressly permitted by Section 5-133(d) if supervised by an adult over 21, but 5-117.1 bans the receipt of a handgun by someone without a HQL. It gets more complicated for the receipt of an AW or a mag over 10 rounds, the receipt of which is flatly banned. Under federal law, "receive" means temporary possession. But receive is not defined for purposes of SB 281, so the question is open. My guess is that LEOs will not arrest for it, but I never trust the discretion of LEOs. MSI has filed comments with the MSP asking for regulatory definition and there is some informal indication from the State's AG's office that receive means permanent receipt, not temporary possession, but there is nothing formal or binding yet.

I have kids under 21, but until this is straightened out, I won't instruct anyone with handguns under the age of 21 (I am a certified pistol instructor). But then, I have a lot to lose by an arrest so I am ultra cautious. In short, if you permit it, you take your chances.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

You don't say how old your son and daughter are. But as already discussed, for a handgun it should not matter -- if the shooter is under age 21, he or she should remain under adult (over-21) supervision.

The Maryland State Police construes the new law to allow temporary receipt of a handgun for sporting or instructional purposes, without the recipient holding a Handgun Qualification License. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=131928

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Couldn't one go outside of MD jurisdiction and shoot the regulated/banned firearms there with under 21 yo people?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Long guns that are not AWs, not a problem. There is an issue for so called large capacity mags (over 10 rounds), AWs and handguns. For these items, it depends on what "receive" means. See http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2583572&postcount=7

Underage possession of a handgun is expressly permitted by Section 5-133(d) if supervised by an adult over 21, but 5-117.1 bans the receipt of a handgun by someone without a HQL. It gets more complicated for the receipt of an AW or a mag over 10 rounds, the receipt of which is flatly banned. Under federal law, "receive" means temporary possession. But receive is not defined for purposes of SB 281, so the question is open. My guess is that LEOs will not arrest for it, but I never trust the discretion of LEOs. MSI has filed comments with the MSP asking for regulatory definition and there is some informal indication from the State's AG's office that receive means permanent receipt, not temporary possession, but there is nothing formal or binding yet.

I have kids under 21, but until this is straightened out, I won't instruct anyone with handguns under the age of 21 (I am a certified pistol instructor). But then, I have a lot to lose by an arrest so I am ultra cautious. In short, if you permit it, you take your chances.

Dear Certified Pistol Instructor,,,, I feel sorry for your kids

Hunter.50cal

Oct 5, 2012
    Annapolis
    My kids

My sons are seventeen and fifteen and both well versed in shooting. They both shoot my beretta 92, and colt python as well as I can. They also shoot my shotguns and Ar-15. The older one can out shoot me with the AR at 100 yards and the younger can school me in any clays game with the shotguns. I was just worried about letting them shoot the collection on Black Powder friday, an annual event held by my friends. The women go shopping and the men go shooting.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Dear Certified Pistol Instructor,,,, I feel sorry for your kids

Don't. My kids are pretty damn privileged, at least far more privileged than I was at their age. But I am going to protect them and myself from arbitrary law enforcement. It happens all the time.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky

My son will continue to shoot with me and my youngest as well once he is older. You will not get the silver braclets from me because SB 281 is garbage and open to too many opinions.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The simple answer is that if you are hearing a lot of yes and no, that is because there is no definitive answer.

The law itself is NOT clear on whether anybody can loan a handgun to another person if the other person does not have an HQL.

Pretty sure you cannot loan an assault weapon to anybody, period. If a person did not possess it prior to October 1, 2013, they cannot possess it now.

The answer is "no", you cannot.

Allowing them to shoot/use a regulated firearm consititutes a "transfer", and since it was conducted in a manner not compliant with SB281 and other MD laws concerning regulated ifrearms, it is in violation.

The law is VERY clear on this.

The people saying "yes" are wrong. There is NO provision in the law that says "it's ok for you to let your kids shoot your regulated firearms at a range".

Share a regulated gun with your kid? Go to jail. Lose your 2A rights forever.

That's the intended goal of the law. To eliminate gun owners by ones and twos at a time, to slowly chip away at them.

Beat them to the punch. Get the fuk outta Maryland. Now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom