MSP: HQL not required for temporary receipt for sporting purposes or bona fide loans

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    As of October 1, 2013, a Handgun Qualification License (HQL) will be required to "purchase, rent, or receive" a handgun, with certain exceptions.

"Purchase" is pretty self-explanatory, and "rent" is defined in the law (basically, it refers to renting for off-premises use, not renting at the range), but "receive" is not defined in the law. One concern that I have expressed, beginning when the bill was still under consideration in the General Assembly, was that "receive" could be construed to apply to a number of common scenarios in which persons come into temporary possession of a handgun or inherit handguns, or wish to do so.

No definition or other elucidation of the scope of "receive" has appeared in any version of the draft MSP regulations so far circulated. Therefore, I submitted three detailed scenarios to the MSP to ask whether a HQL would be required in each. All three scenarios involved hypothetical persons who come into possession of a handgun or handguns, or wish to do so, without possessing the HQL. (By the way, the hypothetical handguns are of recent manufacture, no "curios or relics.") The hypothetical persons are over age 21, and are not disqualified by criminal history or for any other reason, under federal or state law, from possessing a handgun -- so the only issue is, do they also require the HQL?

Scenario no. 1 involved a boyfriend taking his girlfriend, over age 21, to the gun club to try out a handgun for the first time. I referred to this type of scenario as "temporary receipt for purposes of informal instruction or sporting purposes."

Scenario no. 2 involved the boyfriend then loaning the handgun to the girlfriend to keep at her residence for defense, while she goes through the process of obtaining a HQL and purchasing her own handgun, with the understanding that she will return the handgun to the owner as soon as she lawfully acquires a new handgun. I referred to this type of scenario as a "bona fide loan."

Scenario no. 3 involved a gun collector who dies and wills a substantial number of valuable, recent-vintage handguns to his widow, who by reason of personal disinclination and/or visual impairment, does not possess and will not obtain a HQL.

There was some initial confusion when the Licensing Section chief answered one question when I thought he was answering another, but this was cleared up in an email this morning, in which MSP Lt. John Cook said, "A HQL would not be needed for Scenario 1 (temporary receipt for purposes of informal instruction or sporting purposes) and Scenario 2 (bona fide loans)."

Regarding inheritance of handguns, this is the answer that I received, paraphrased: Handguns may be passed on by inheritance to Maryland residents who do not possess a HQL. This is because Public Safety Article Title 5 (Firearms), Subtitle 1 (the subtitle containing the laws on regulated firearms), contains a provision that specifies that Subtitle 1 "does not apply" to certain things, one of these being "(8) the receipt of a regulated firearm by inheritance, if the heir forwards to the Secretary a completed application to purchase or transfer that regulated firearm. . ." This is not new language from SB 281, but longstanding law. According to MSP Lt. John Cook, who heads the Licensing Section, "Because inheritance is generally exempted from the Subtitle 1, it is exempted from the HQL requirement." (Source: Email, Sept. 16, 2013)

This is certainly helpful information, but a number of questions remain as to where the requirement for a HQL begins -- i.e., the meaning and scope of the term "receive."

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO the problem with these "clarifications" is they aren't issued in an official way, ie. written memoranda or AG opinion.. Are these opinions going to be in the proposed COMAR?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Are these opinions going to be in the proposed COMAR?

I don't know to what degree these issues will be addressed in the regulations. As you know, regulations are to be published in the Sept. 20 edition of the Maryland Register, to go in effect on an "emergency" basis on October 1, but with public comment invited regarding possible later revisions. I suspect that there will be at least a couple of key points on which the "emergency" regulations may fall short of the degree of specificity I would like to see.

On the other hand, in my opinion, it is neither possible nor even desirable for regulations to address every permutation or scenario that may arise under the new law. In some areas, excessive specificity, locked into regulation, can impede later administrative flexibility and the application of common sense in addressing various complicated scenarios that may arise in the future.

One thing we can seek is regulations that do not impose burdens beyond those required by the statute itself.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I don't know to what degree these issues will be addressed in the regulations. As you know, regulations are to be published in the Sept. 20 edition of the Maryland Register, to go in effect on an "emergency" basis on October 1, but with public comment invited regarding possible later revisions. I suspect that there will be at least a couple of key points on which the "emergency" regulations may fall short of the degree of specificity I would like to see.

On the other hand, in my opinion, it is neither possible nor even desirable for regulations to address every permutation or scenario that may arise under the new law. In some areas, excessive specificity, locked into regulation, can impede later administrative flexibility and the application of common sense in addressing various complicated scenarios that may arise in the future.

One thing we can seek is regulations that do not impose burdens beyond those required by the statute itself.

It is nice of Lt. Cook to opine on this, but unless and until his construction of "receive" is in regs it doesn't mean squat to other officers or to prosecutors, much less to the courts. Moreover, your hypos concerned only the HQL. The same "receive" problem arises, however, with respect to greater than 10 round mags or a grandfathered AW. So, to take your example and modify it a bit, if the over 21 boyfriend takes his over 21 girlfriend to a range and hands her his Glock 17 (with a 17 round mag) to try out, is she illegally "receiving" the mag? Are both "participating" in the illegal receipt of the mag within the meaning of 5-144, as amended? Same scenario for the AR 15 with a 10 round mag. and then with a 30 round mag. I have heard no answers.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Moreover, your hypos concerned only the HQL. The same "receive" problem arises, however, with respect to greater than 10 round mags or a grandfathered AW. So, to take your example and modify it a bit, if the over 21 boyfriend takes his over 21 girlfriend to a range and hands her his Glock 17 (with a 17 round mag) to try out, is she illegally "receiving" the mag? Are both "participating" in the illegal receipt of the mag within the meaning of 5-144, as amended? Same scenario for the AR 15 with a 10 round mag. and then with a 30 round mag. I have heard no answers.

You are correct that this particular thread is exploring only whether the HQL is required in certain scenarios. I agree that similar questions arise with respect to magazines with capacity in excess of the 10-round limit, and with respect to grandfathered "assault" firearms. The meaning of the term "receive" ought to be applied uniformly with respect to all three, however -- if indeed the girlfriend has not "receive[d]" the Glock for purposes of the HQL portion of the law, I don't know what principled basis there would be for arguing that she has "receive[d] the magazine.

SB 281 does specifically provide for inheritance of a grandfathered "assault weapon or detachable magazine," so long as the heir "is not otherwise disqualified from possessing a regulated firearm."

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    You are correct that this particular thread is exploring only whether the HQL is required in certain scenarios. I agree that similar questions arise with respect to magazines with capacity in excess of the 10-round limit, and with respect to grandfathered "assault" firearms. The meaning of the term "receive" ought to be applied uniformly with respect to all three, however -- if indeed the girlfriend has not "receive[d]" the Glock for purposes of the HQL portion of the law, I don't know what principled basis there would be for arguing that she has "receive[d] the magazine.

SB 281 does specifically provide for inheritance of a grandfathered "assault weapon or detachable magazine," so long as the heir "is not otherwise disqualified from possessing a regulated firearm."

I have learned not to expect a "principled basis" necessarily, particularly where, as here, these distinctions are not set forth in regs that bind the MSP in the exercise of their arrest powers. An arrest for some of us would be *very* bad, even if there is no prosecution.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    lol - And Ms. Brock told me back in late April on the phone that I would not need the HQL for a handgun transfer IF I submitted the Form 77r before October 1, 2013. Yep, that turned out pretty good. Luckily, it is a non-issue at this point. However, wonder how that would have gone if I took possession of a handgun after October 1, 2013 without having a HQL and then referenced what Ms. Brock told me.

The General Assembly should really define transfer, receive, etc. in the law to do away with all this guessing. Then, they should provide an exception for loaning something to somebody for less than a month's time. It really is ridiculous that generally law abiding people can become criminals just because they own a firearm.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    It is nice of Lt. Cook to opine on this, but unless and until his construction of "receive" is in regs it doesn't mean squat to other officers or to prosecutors, much less to the courts. Moreover, your hypos concerned only the HQL. The same "receive" problem arises, however, with respect to greater than 10 round mags or a grandfathered AW. So, to take your example and modify it a bit, if the over 21 boyfriend takes his over 21 girlfriend to a range and hands her his Glock 17 (with a 17 round mag) to try out, is she illegally "receiving" the mag? Are both "participating" in the illegal receipt of the mag within the meaning of 5-144, as amended? Same scenario for the AR 15 with a 10 round mag. and then with a 30 round mag. I have heard no answers.

Given what we have to deal with in this State I understand the extreme caution. With that said I wonder if we are perhaps overthinking this. Who really expects that if he takes his girlfriend to the range and let her shoot his glock with a 17 round mag that he'll end up being arrested?

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    lol - And Ms. Brock told me back in late April on the phone that I would not need the HQL for a handgun transfer IF I submitted the Form 77r before October 1, 2013. Yep, that turned out pretty good. Luckily, it is a non-issue at this point. However, wonder how that would have gone if I took possession of a handgun after October 1, 2013 without having a HQL and then referenced what Ms. Brock told me.

The General Assembly should really define transfer, receive, etc. in the law to do away with all this guessing. Then, they should provide an exception for loaning something to somebody for less than a month's time. It really is ridiculous that generally law abiding people can become criminals just because they own a firearm.

In there mind if you own a gun your a criminal so why not make laws To have us slip up and lose our guns forever.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Given what we have to deal with in this State I understand the extreme caution. With that said I wonder if we are perhaps overthinking this. Who really expects that if he takes his girlfriend to the range and let her shoot his glock with a 17 round mag that he'll end up being arrested?

How are they goina enforce the magazine thing? There's noway to tell when the person bought the magazine right?

I know my question is not about what your talking about I just want to ask.... Is there really anyway for them to enforce the magazine thing....

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Given the aggressive tone of recent MSP actions re hbars, not to mention the impact of a possible AG frosh,We are going to need a court to speak. With luck we can get the MSP and or AG to concede in court filings several important points.

OR at least pin them down..

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

I am trained to think in terms of power -- what could happen without regard to how the officer and the prosecutor exercise their discretion. Don't trust discretion. As to enforcement, they need not go after possession, but simply watch for receipt

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    ...and "rent" is defined in the law (basically, it refers to renting for off-premises use, not renting at the range),...

Actually, from Public Safety Article, §5-101(s), Annotated Code of Maryland, referenced in Title 29.03.01,

Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a regulated firearm that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

"Consideration" is something of value. So, I read the definition of "rent" as a temporary transfer of property I own in exchange for something of value. I don't think it has anything to do with location.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Actually, from Public Safety Article, §5-101(s), Annotated Code of Maryland, referenced in Title 29.03.01,

Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a regulated firearm that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

"Consideration" is something of value. So, I read the definition of "rent" as a temporary transfer of property I own in exchange for something of value. I don't think it has anything to do with location.

Certainly it has to do with location. Location is, in fact, an essential element of the the definition. When you go into an indoor range and rent a handgun to use for an hour at that range, a temporary transfer occurs and it is "for consideration," yet no "rent[al]" has occurred, as defined in the statute, purely because you do not change location -- i.e., you do not leave the premises. Since you have not actually "rent[ed]" a handgun as defined in the statute, the HQL is not required.

However, if you wished to pay the range owner for the right to take the gun off premises, to hunt with it perhaps, and he agreed to this, then that would be a "rent[al]" as defined in the statute, and you'd have to produce a HQL. The only difference between this and the previous scenario is location.

If, however, the owner of the range is a friend of yours, and he simply lends you a handgun out of the goodness of his heart, you can take it off premises and use it for all lawful purposes. No rental has occurred because there is no consideration. It is a bona fide loan. You do not need the HQL to accept a bona fide loan.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

You missed the last portion of the definition
    that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    You missed the last portion of the definition

No, I didn't. It just means that I have to be the owner if I am renting it. The property cannot belong to someone else and I rent it for them.

Edit: Now I see. It would be redundant to say "property" and "owner". It could be more clearly stated as "removal from the real property of the owner". But, I'm still not sure if it means that.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Certainly it has to do with location. Location is, in fact, an essential element of the the definition...

Thanks for the clarification. So, I can argue that allowing my wife to handle my gun is permissible as a bona fide loan.

Great! Now I just have to get her to handle my gun. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom