• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    Isn't there some kind of device for this purpose that goes in the chamber as if it were a live round, but instead shines a beam through the barrel?

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    There are Boresight devices that are the actual round caliber as the picture denotes...

Attachments

• boreSightLaserVerticalmedium1.jpg
      boreSightLaserVerticalmedium1.jpg
      10 KB · Views: 138

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There are Boresight devices that are the actual round caliber as the picture denotes...

I use this and it is fast. Load the batteries, screw down the rim--which lights the laser--then pop it in the chamber and ride the charging handle down nice and easy until the "round" is in the breech. Less than 30 seconds later you are dialed in. Found mine at the Howard County gun show years ago for around $30.

I also own the Laser Lyte model but prefer the laser "round" in the chamber.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ONE MORE TIME.

Laser bore sighter is not needed. Extra expense and headache.

Just look down the bore. Or start at a very short range for first shots.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I have bore sighted my AR15 by removing the upper and bolt, looking down the bore and adjusting the red dot accordingly.

However, my Marlin 795 was shooting to the right, no matter what I did with sight adjustment, trigger pull, sandbags, voodoo dancing. Sometimes it would shoot where I aimed.

So I bought a cheap Walmart "Center Point". While playing with it in the end of the barrel, I noticed the front sight post was loose. Sure enough, to the left of where the bore sighter's red dot lie.

Now I use the laser bore sighter on all my guns, including the AR15. Its much easier for the Marlin 795 and the Ruger Mark III than taking the whole gun apart to look down the bore - especially the Mark III (with which I have an understanding about not taking it apart :innocent0

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think he may have meant that's a PITA for something that's NOT an AR. :)

There are a few types of weapons it won't work on including most semi-auto rifles, .22s, and shotguns. Any shotgun with a cantilever scope mount should work as well as any gun where the bolt can be removed from the rear of the receiver. Most NEW scopes come center set and with a decent set of rings, shouldn't take too many rounds to get you where you need to be. There are always exceptions though, especially when moving a scope from one gun to another, etc.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Yeah, very difficult.

Remove upper from lower. Remove BCG. Look down barrel.

Yeap, very hard to do.

:D

:mad54:

I mainly meant setting it up securely in a vice without obstructing your view down the barrel.

Bolt gun's are easy. Fix 'em up in the vice, remove the bolt, make sure the picture's the same between bore and and scope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are a few types of weapons it won't work on including most semi-auto rifles, .22s, and shotguns. Any shotgun with a cantilever scope mount should work as well as any gun where the bolt can be removed from the rear of the receiver. Most NEW scopes come center set and with a decent set of rings, shouldn't take too many rounds to get you where you need to be. There are always exceptions though, especially when moving a scope from one gun to another, etc.

A small mirror, like you can get from your dentist or for auto work, can do wonders for rifles that have closed receivers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    :mad54:

I mainly meant setting it up securely in a vice without obstructing your view down the barrel.

Bolt gun's are easy. Fix 'em up in the vice, remove the bolt, make sure the picture's the same between bore and and scope.

I don't use a vice on my guns.

I just use a rest and/or some sand bags. This is not precision work, it only has to be good enough to get the first shot on the paper.

If you use a BIG piece of paper and a short range (25 - 50 yards), you don't even need to do that.

With 2 shots, I can have the POI closer to the POA than your laser bore sighter.

With 3 - 5 shots, I can have the rilfe sighted in at 100 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom