• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Bought the red Laser Lyte 10+ years ago and have sighted many rifles/scopes/handguns with it. Cuts down the frustration factor when you get to the range. Some have been dead-on and needed no further adjustment. (exception, not rule)

I use a large, dimly lit room for handguns, but bring it outside at dusk for sighting rifles. Bright sunlight? Forget a red laser, go for the green if that is when you'll be doing your sighting in. Even then it helps to find a shady spot for your target.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The laserlyte has been very good for doing an initial zero on the .50Beo at short distances.

After about 50 yards that round starts nosing down, but if you have an idea of the drop, it's good to get you on a paper plate at 100.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't use one.

Pull bolt (upper off if AR). Use some bags to prop up the rifle, look through barrel at some object, adjust scope to same object. Done with bore sighting.

And CHEAP. :)

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    I bought a bunch of the cheapOs from Amazon they work well they put it in a 12 inch cir. at 50 yards when I go to the range to finnish sighting them in. I even have the 22lr one and it works great. But I only use them to get me on paper!

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Generally those Laser Kits are set for 25 yds or meters, and the Lasers they use are not all that powerful, the concept is like Boresighting the M242 Main Gun on a Bradly or LAV or Tank or even a Howitzer for that matter only using a Laser on the end of the barrel not a precision scope with barrel insert. Though to note you can't collimate your barrel because "You" are the optic not like on a Mounted Weapon where the optic is part of the weapon...you could use a flashlight if you had to but the beam dispersion would be very large on the target at 25yds/m. Yes, taking the bolt looking through your Barrel is also sort of Boresighting but if you taped string at the end of your barrel "+" it would improve your sighting but note when looking through the barrel you also have note your parallax with your movement...I just think it saves on ammo and gives you one more tool...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I bore sighted my AR pistol the other day. Old school, looking down the bore, Sighting an EOtech. Went to my buddy's range and shot a five inch group at 25yds. off hand. It hit an inch low. As long as you can look through your bore, there shouldn't be a need for a laser bore sighter,IMO.

Feb 28, 2013
    I bore sighted my AR pistol the other day. Old school, looking down the bore, Sighting an EOtech. Went to my buddy's range and shot a five inch group at 25yds. off hand. It hit an inch low. As long as you can look through your bore, there shouldn't be a need for a laser bore sighter,IMO.

Problem is though, you can't look through your bore while you also have your rifle in a rifle rest.

What I had in mind was to aim the gun in the rest with the laser in place, then adjust the sight accordingly. Would that work?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Problem is though, you can't look through your bore while you also have your rifle in a rifle rest.

You can do it if the rest setup is flexible enough to hold just the upper. Go back and forth between looking down the barrel and down the sights. Should get you reasonably close.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV

What I had in mind was to aim the gun in the rest with the laser in place, then adjust the sight accordingly. Would that work?

Yes. Placing in a Rest stabilizes your laser, because it will reflect any movement "Beam Movement" from bumping the weapon, remember the dot on the target will not be pin point. The lasers in these Kits are milliwatt-mW power to be semi eye safe, class 3A, like a laser pointer.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    As always its a matter of opinion, experience and cost...I for one like them because it makes it a little easier and I don't want to be using allot of ammo to get it right...and in some cases or places you can't fire your weapon and you have to go to a range to dial it in...jmo

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

The method I described was done on my kitchen table looking through the bore at my neighbor's basketball hoop across the street. I would zero the bore on the hoop, then see where the red dot was, then, move the dot in the direction it needed to go. Every time I adjusted the sight, I had to reestablish the zero in the bore. I used Caldwell shooting bags for the rest and it took maybe 10 minutes to do. I do this for scopes also and judging from my results, it's pretty much idiot proof.:D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't get me wrong. Laser bore sighters have their place especially if you travel a lot. Or you're hunting in rugged terrain where S@#t can happen. Just pop that sucker in there and look to see if you may have a potential problem

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As always its a matter of opinion, experience and cost...I for one like them because it makes it a little easier and I don't want to be using allot of ammo to get it right...and in some cases or places you can't fire your weapon and you have to go to a range to dial it in...jmo

No laser, and 3 - 5 rounds and you can zero your rifle.

Look through bore at target or some thing (like the basketball hoop another poster mentioned). Then adjust scope/red dot to be on the same thing.

Re-assemble rifle.

At 50 yards, fire 1 shot, aiming at the center of the target.

Put rifle and rest with the scope/red dot aimed at the center of target, without moving rifle, adjust scope/red dot to the bullet hole.

Fire one shot to confirm.

Move to 100 yards, repeat.

Done.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    http://www.laserlyte.com/products/bore-sight-mbs-1 recommend ordering online but thats just me

Look on Amazon, this or one like it goes for about $15, but like others have said it will get you ballpark to start.

Scrap this idea. I couldn't figure out what my problem was the other day I didn't even seem to be on the paper. Back at home I re-checked @ 25 yards out to our shed. Looked good so I went to the other end of our back porch and tried again. Looked almost 2 feet off?? Sitting on the back porch aiming at the siding about 6 feet away as I rotated the laser in the bore it made about a 6 inch circle so expand that to 25 yards :sad20: After spending about an hour using the 4 adjustment screws I wasn't getting anywhere. I ended up figuring out at what point it seemed most on and marked it on the laser body. At least got me on the paper.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Scrap this idea. I couldn't figure out what my problem was the other day I didn't even seem to be on the paper. Back at home I re-checked @ 25 yards out to our shed. Looked good so I went to the other end of our back porch and tried again. Looked almost 2 feet off?? Sitting on the back porch aiming at the siding about 6 feet away as I rotated the laser in the bore it made about a 6 inch circle so expand that to 25 yards :sad20: After spending about an hour using the 4 adjustment screws I wasn't getting anywhere. I ended up figuring out at what point it seemed most on and marked it on the laser body. At least got me on the paper.

So...you needed a laser bore sighter for you laser bore sighter? Did I read that right?:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom