• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013

That's funny. I think even the biased Baltimore Sun realizes that HOGAN WON THE ELECTION in a huge Democratic majority state, no matter how they wish to diminish that accomplishment.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That's funny. I think even the biased Baltimore Sun realizes that HOGAN WON THE ELECTION in a huge Democratic majority state, no matter how they wish to diminish that accomplishment.

Yep, they tried to margininalize him from the get go. Now, they want to play nice.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No I'm a realist. And I'm very aware and was/is involved and none of the above. Done my 2A time in the marches, testimonies and letter writing. Talked to my delegation. I’ve worked the system in Annapolis in other areas, actually got legislation submitted and passed. Been to the sausage factory, been involved in things like this since about 2004 thank you. I just don’t do much cheerleading and flag waving in cyberspace echo chambers.

In my opinion and there are many here. There is only two ways to win this other than in the courts. You either bribe the politicians or kill them politically. All the crap on this board day after day is just talk and tactics. There is no strategy.

MSI does whatever it is that they do, fine. Make friends and back court cases. Once a while back I asked about why they wouldn’t help defeat Ron Young up here in Frederick, was told they don't do that stuff. They "Don’t support candidates" fine. Young voted for FSA2013 in a gun owning community, for the rain tax that will hard hit farmers in a farming community and the gas tax in a DC bedroom community and no one could muster up the effort to support his opponent.

Per IRS law, MSI, as a 501c4, is not permitted to campaign for or endorse any political person or political stance. Sorry, it just can't be done legally and we at MSI will not cross that line.

Step one a MD PAC needs to be started in MD that supports pro 2A candidates at the local level. Sole litmus test. There is no organization like that that I know of. Hell if every MD member of the NRA would call them and tell them to start one or you'll cancel your membership I bet it would happen in a week. There were plenty of candidates trying to unseat incumbents this past cycle, incumbents should have been torched with pro 2A ads. “How many people died because they couldn’t defend themselves?” One of those hall walkers that claim they represent us should reach out to the Koch brothers. This is right up their alley in their fight for personal freedom. And quite frankly the 2A movement needs to go Alinksy but is too afraid to. I’ll bet at least ½ the Democrats could be thrown out of office via a good private investigator. How do you think Obama became a Senator in the first place? And a delivered envelope with a verbal message from Mr Smith would go a long way to moving some of these folks.

There is a PAC designed specifically for this, it is called Take Back MD. They, unfortunately, currently fail to have the resources to man the PAC. Know anyone that want to volunteer to be on the board of a PAC?

As for the NRA, the have a PAC specifically for 2A, it is the NRA-ILA and is a wholly separate entity from the NRA. Have you ever noticed that when you get "beggar mail" from the NRA-ILA it says, all contributions are NOT tax deductible? That is because the NRA-ILA is a PAC and not a 501c3 like the NRA.

I'd like to see MSI help stand up that PAC. For starters as lobbyists for the 2A community they have valuable institutional knowledge.

On thing at a time, MSI is currently trying to get enough manpower to do our basic functions with regards to our policy statement. Starting a PAC is an entirely different corporation from the 501c4 that is MSI and would probably need an entirely different BOD to run it.

So Mr H

I’ll donate $200 towards a “viable” PAC that is geared towards defeating anti 2A candidates in Maryland. What will you do?

NRA-ILA or Take Back MD, take your pick.

Second. People don’t do squat unless they are going to lose something or can’t get something. That’s where the 2A community shot itself in the foot with the HQL. I guess when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail. But what should have happened is that every time a buyer went to get a handgun they should have been told that there is no state mandated training available. Angry people do things. Direct those angry people at Annapolis. Right now other than a little cash and time the HQL is no burden.

And spare me the gun shop argument, if you are worried about that go home. Sorry. Better men sacrificed their lives and fortunes to get the 2A written and keep a country where it can still be in effect. Bobby the gun broker should have had the business sense to ride the wave a year ago and diversify and minimize from handguns. Funny nobody complained about outrageous prices in the run up to October. They’ll lose business, some will fold but others will take their place. Go have a talk with Bobby ask him to explain to you why HIS handgun business is more important to you that your civil liberties.

Third. Hogan needs to clarify G&S now. He is a one term wonder and that’s being realistic not defeatist. Oh I can be hopeful but I pay attention to shit. He’s facing a 1.2? Billion dollar budget shortfall? B&M have been planning to eat him for breakfast from the first week of November and the Erlich administration exemplifies that. The perfect example slots? They fought him on that for years even though it would have supposedly helped the budget. Once O’Malley was elected it went through. Get this through your head. These people threw away jobs in their own districts (Think Berretta) for gun control because they could. There is no reasoning with them only threats.

On the above you are correct and with regards to FSA2013, we did not reason with them. We held the line up until a few folks thought they "knew better" and started to "negotiate" with the other side. To be clear, those that tried to negotiate were NOT any of the 2A leadership that was working the issue. They were 2nd and 3rd level folks that wanted to be power brokers and be a "part of the group" negotiating. Once that chink in the armor was revealed the Administration, along with the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House put their respective foots down, and told the committee to stop negotiating, here are 10 amendments we approve and no more. So a day before the joint committee hearing in the House, where the committee was leaning toward scrapping FAS2013 and forming a workgroup to study what can and can't be done effectively, we end up with a directive from the leadership on the 10 amendments that will be accepted.

That is instance #1, where they were forced to cheat to get what they want.

Cheat #2 was the revote on good time credits for criminals convicted of firearms related crimes.

Allowing relaxed permits will be lost in the wind on the political fights that are coming in the legislature. A simple gesture would energize the 2A community. I’d like to see each and every person that bought a handgun in the crush prior to FSA2103 get issued a permit. There would be three in my household. Yes in four years they will change it with the new Governor. But then you will have 5x the amount of permit holders that will be very angry. Angry people do things.

He can administratively do away with the "one shot" requirement. That would open training up to a whole host of citizens in MD, and then that would allow any organization that would like to, to provide free training, free livescan, and provide the laptops and internet service available to submit for a permit online. Yes, they would still have to pay the $50 for the permit, but the rest of the costs could be mitigated.

THIS is strategy.

Yes, it is, but see my replies above.

trailman;3579577 And as far as tip toeing. The people we are fighting against are the same as radical Islamists. They believe and do not care. People need to figure that out. You don't reason with them.[/QUOTE said:
    At no time has the leadership of any 2A organization "reasoned" with the other side on anything, we have held our view and our purpose and in some cases gotten steam rolled for it. But it takes a lot out of them when they steamroll us like they did in 2013.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I don't follow you Trailman? I was being sarcastic.

I'm with Mr. H and Teratos on this one. The fact that the Legislature couldn't give two sh*ts about revenue from firearms manufacturers, dealers, and related businesses is right in front of the entire population's eyes - given the stupid and misguided priorities that the Legislature is so ready to waste tax revenue on - yet many here among us insist that if only we show them the light and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that the Legislature will welcome the firearm industry with open arms and dole out carry permits for a few hundred bucks a piece like candy. I just don't ever see it happening that way.

The quotes didn't capture right because so was I. I agree with what you are saying here. I think too many people think you just walk down there and "explain" it to them and they will understand. They're politicians, like child rapists, they justify anything they do and really only operate on fear. Look what Sen Brinkely did after he was defeated. A staunch hunting supporter shafted us the day he was un-elected. Sided with the horse money and shut down Sunday hunting in this area.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I just hope Mr. Hogan leverages the momentum he has coming out of the election. I truly believe that if he waits, until after the supposed newly minted bi-partisan relationship with the Dems breaks down over budget battles, that he will have lost his chance to make a 2A difference. I'd truly hate to see his name posted on the 2A "wall of disappointment" right next to Erlich's.

You will probably are going to be disappointed...making a 2a difference is so far down his 'to do' list it would take two full terms to get to it. Hogan is going to be just like Ehrlich...stymied at every corner by the GA....to be honest I'm more interested in seeing how he proposes to balance the budget yet keep his campaign promises......

Mr H

Banana'd
    So Mr H

I’ll donate $200 towards a “viable” PAC that is geared towards defeating anti 2A candidates in Maryland. What will you do?

I shouldn't even have to comment on this, but you press me...

It's more like what DO I do.

I have spent the past 4 years with others at the tip of the spear, spreading the word and growing MSI in the communities and in Annapolis.

Not belittling anyone's contributions (as everything is "more than none", and valuable), but I don't need to defend my contributions, or quantify any effect I may or may not have had.

MSI does more behind the scenes than can be discussed at any given time, but I assure you they will be up front with the results, good or bad.

Donations help, but... What are you prepared to DO?

Good day.

Last edited:

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I just hope Mr. Hogan leverages the momentum he has coming out of the election. I truly believe that if he waits, until after the supposed newly minted bi-partisan relationship with the Dems breaks down over budget battles, that he will have lost his chance to make a 2A difference. I'd truly hate to see his name posted on the 2A "wall of disappointment" right next to Erlich's.

You and me both.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    While you touch on the realities of the situation in MD, what you fail to mention, what are you prepared to do about it until you can move to Arizona?

So, what are you prepared to do about it, until you move to Arizona? How much time and effort are you willing to put into it while you are still here?

Look I've obviously touched a nerve with you, and that wasn't my intention, so before you go getting all holier than thou on me I was simply making some observations as a long time resident of our lovely state. As for what I'm prepared to do about it, I've been supporting 2A rights and causes in more ways than you can possibly imagine for a very long time, probably before you were even born, so I don't need to establish my pro gun bona fides or commitment to 2A causes with you or anyone else, and I'll continue to support 2A rights no matter where I live.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

The Democrats and the Sun would not give The Second Coming that much credit based on lack of prior notice. They only see EXACTLY what they want to and is supportive of their cause at the moment.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Are the folks in the legislature that cried, begged, pleaded and whined like little schools to give production companies including House of Cards $30 million in tax cuts/subsidies, only to receive .10 cents per dollar expended back (per Legislative Services), while Beretta packed their bags and headed for TN, among those of us that understand? :sad20:

Having "friends" in the media/entertainment business is far more valuable -- to the careers of politicians in charge -- than a few "measly" tax dollars. :sad20:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Look I've obviously touched a nerve with you, and that wasn't my intention, so before you go getting all holier than thou on me I was simply making some observations as a long time resident of our lovely state. As for what I'm prepared to do about it, I've been supporting 2A rights and causes in more ways than you can possibly imagine for a very long time, probably before you were even born, so I don't need to establish my pro gun bona fides or commitment to 2A causes with you or anyone else, and I'll continue to support 2A rights no matter where I live.

You actually didn't touch a nerve and I'm not getting "holier than thou," just asking a question that most people that say "as soon as I can, I'm leaving" fail to think about.

You appear to have thought about it and continue to be a part of the fight, where others who are looking to "get out" tend to throw up their hands a quit.

Thank you for your effort.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    You actually didn't touch a nerve and I'm not getting "holier than thou," just asking a question that most people that say "as soon as I can, I'm leaving" fail to think about.

You appear to have thought about it and continue to be a part of the fight, where others who are looking to "get out" tend to throw up their hands a quit.

Thank you for your effort.

OK, fair enough. We're on the same "team" after all, with essentially the same goals. Thank you for your efforts as well.

BTW, I want to make it clear I'm not jumping ship "as soon as I can", my decision to move West has been 35 yrs. in the making, and won't become a reality for at least a couple more years, and it has little to do with friendlier gun laws elsewhere. In the meantime I'll fight the good fight with the rest of my fellow MD Shooters.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Just who are the "... 2nd and 3rd level folks that wanted to be power brokers and be a "part of the group" negotiating" so we know who we should thank for our current situation and for being so short sighted or blinded by the need for 15 seconds of fame?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just who are the "... 2nd and 3rd level folks that wanted to be power brokers and be a "part of the group" negotiating" so we know who we should thank for our current situation and for being so short sighted or blinded by the need for 15 seconds of fame?

If they want to out themselves, they can if they want to. Suffice to say, the leadership, past and present, of all of the 2A organizations in this state, will not air names in public or private.

It is in the past and we are, all, looking to the future.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring

:innocent0

Those two things alone can wreak a whole lot of havoc.

Thinking smart and working smart is always the goal.

Having this many smart 2a minded people on one forum is a blessing. I've learned many things here, one being, together we are strong and divided we are weak.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

I'd like to know this as well.....:mad54:

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    If they want to out themselves, they can if they want to. Suffice to say, the leadership, past and present, of all of the 2A organizations in this state, will not air names in public or private.

It is in the past and we are, all, looking to the future.

While a noble sentiment, it does leave the rest of us not in the know wondering who we should be listening to, and who is doing more harm then good.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    While a noble sentiment, it does leave the rest of us not in the know wondering who we should be listening to, and who is doing more harm then good.

The simple answer to that is, the folks that are talking and explaining today, are the ones to pay attention to (there are too many to name, but you can figure out who they are). Those that wanted to be important, aren't that active on the board, and thus, not being listened to. Hope that helps with your dilemma.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    On the above you are correct and with regards to FSA2013, we did not reason with them. We held the line up until a few folks thought they "knew better" and started to "negotiate" with the other side. To be clear, those that tried to negotiate were NOT any of the 2A leadership that was working the issue. They were 2nd and 3rd level folks that wanted to be power brokers and be a "part of the group" negotiating.

Once you make a statement like this, you have to back it up with the facts or retract it.

I need to know if any of these people hold elected positions in my district.

Sausage making is ugly, but when someone is mixing stuff from the insides of the intestine with stuff from the outside, we need to know who it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom