• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Can't wait to see what you come up with...

I was thinking of getting a special paint job with a color fade for the one I'm gonna build. I hear Bollinger's up in Carroll County does custom paint jobs.

That reminds me....I do know a guy who does custom colors ...but he's in Western Md and I have to get his card off my window at the office in Annapolis.

Color Fade...hmmmmm now there's a nifty idea!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I don't think I like those stocks...I know it will add weight but I'm think something more solid/smooth so that I don't tear up my hands after a ton of rounds at the range. Thoughts?

How about something like this?
    2211-2T.jpg

http://www.store-diamondhead-usa.com/V_RS_T_Free_FloatIng_Handguard_System_p/2211.htm

bn_bullet

Nov 15, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    If you want a smoother forearm, check out the Yankee Hill Machine Customizable Free Float style. I have used them on several AR builds and really like them. They are not cheap but allow you to place the rails anywhere you like and not interfere with your grip.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I don't think I like those stocks...I know it will add weight but I'm think something more solid/smooth so that I don't tear up my hands after a ton of rounds at the range. Thoughts?

You could put rail covers on, which would protect both the rail and your hands, or wear gloves while shooting. But I myself have been leaning towards smooth handguards like the Geissele SMR and the Centurion CMR I posted in the other pictures. Pros: they weigh less because you can put rail sections on only where you want them and not where you don't, more comfortable in the hand because of the lack of rails, plus the lack of rails also makes them smaller which is nicer for smaller hands if you're using a "thumb-over" grip. Cons: possibly get hotter to the touch more quickly as the slim profile places your hand closer to the barrel, and most don't have heatshields which add weight.

Cerakote colors - anything is possible, there are some neat ones I've seen recently out of Modern Outfitters in MS, attached pics below.

Attachments

• Photo2013-06-05024824PM_zps0133adcf.jpg
      Photo2013-06-05024824PM_zps0133adcf.jpg
      72.9 KB · Views: 178
    • Photo2013-06-05024809PM_zps70daf0da.jpg
      Photo2013-06-05024809PM_zps70daf0da.jpg
      102.6 KB · Views: 178
    • null_zps2c93759d.jpg
      null_zps2c93759d.jpg
      114.2 KB · Views: 173
    • Photo2013-06-06051312PM_zpsd74623c7.jpg
      Photo2013-06-06051312PM_zpsd74623c7.jpg
      108.3 KB · Views: 169
    • DSC_1769_zpsde411861.jpg
      DSC_1769_zpsde411861.jpg
      29.4 KB · Views: 168
    • null_zps7d1d1ff7.jpg
      null_zps7d1d1ff7.jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 181

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I bought one of those for my wife's AR. We both like it. I might get another for one of my builds.

What's the weight (rail and mounting equipment) of that rail? Not listed on their site. (now added below)

If you want a smoother forearm, check out the Yankee Hill Machine Customizable Free Float style. I have used them on several AR builds and really like them. They are not cheap but allow you to place the rails anywhere you like and not interfere with your grip.

Weights on these? Also not listed on their site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Centurion Arms C4:
    10" rail is 11.4oz with screws---1.1oz with standard barrel nut.
    12" rail is 14.2oz with screws---1.1oz with standard barrel nut.
    9" rail (for those with carbine length gas and front sight posts) is 10.7oz with screws---1.1oz with standard barrel nut.
    FSP rail (for those with carbine length gas and front sight posts) is 14.2oz with screws---1.1oz with standard barrel nut

Centurion Arms CMR rail:
    12in-10.7oz with barrel nut and hardware
    14in-11.6oz with barrel nut and hardware

Geissele SMR Mk4 rail:
    A 9.5" SMR MK4 weights 9.93oz. including the exclusive Geissele barrel nut and mounting bolts.
    A 13" SMR MK4 weights 11.95 oz. including the exclusive Geissele barrel nut and mounting bolts.

ETA:
    There is also the Fortis REV forearms, which are similar to the Geissele ones, but use Keymod accessories. I, however, didn't like how these felt in my hands, they feel "tall"
    Fortis REV:
    9" 9oz with standard barrel nut
    12" 10.3oz with standard barrel nut
    14" 12.1oz with standard barrel nut

Diamondback VRS T rail:
    10.25"/11.375" - 15.5oz
    13.5"/14.625" - 17.5oz
    15"/16.125" - 20.0oz

Yankee Hill Machine customizable free float (had to do some digging around to find the weights of these and deduce the addition of their proprietary barrel nut):
    7" - 11.03oz with proprietary barrel nut
    10" - 13.53oz with proprietary barrel nut
    12" - 16.13oz with proprietary barrel nut

Last edited:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    At the risk of catching hell, I'd like to buy an AR-15 that is distinctive to me. I am not a fan of pepto pink or hello kitty nonsense.

I do like the Pink Muddy Girl style but will consider anything with a little style. It doesnt have to be pink. (But apparently thats the only thing that's out there).

No, I am NOT doing my own build (I will pay a gunsmith if I can--then I know its done right!)

That said--anyone know where I can get one or have other advice?

how bout this? And no its not mine...Lx1 lol

Attachments

• pink AR.jpg
      pink AR.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 165

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    my sister and just built matching ar15s at bollingers. does burnt bronze do it for you? hers is the top one (sorry for the cruddy photo, it just doesnt do these guns justice)

Attachments

• vera jane 1.jpg
      vera jane 1.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 139

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Cerakote, Durakote, K-kote

All have LOTS of options.

Also look into water transfer options. LOTS of color and patterns available.

See the Remington Versa Max Zombie versions for one pattern:

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/versa-max/versa-max-zombie-pink.aspx

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/versa-max/versa-max-zombie-green.aspx

Some do it yourself (of course you can have someone do it for you) patterns:

http://www.camodipkit.com/patterns-misc.htm

Purple Flake and Spring Lilys are on the girlie side.

Another selection of patterns:

http://www.splashgraphicswtp.com/patterns.asp

I found these with Google, look up "water transfer gun"

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Cerakote, Durakote, K-kote

All have LOTS of options.

Also look into water transfer options. LOTS of color and patterns available.

See the Remington Versa Max Zombie versions for one pattern:

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/versa-max/versa-max-zombie-pink.aspx

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/versa-max/versa-max-zombie-green.aspx

Some do it yourself (of course you can have someone do it for you) patterns:

http://www.camodipkit.com/patterns-misc.htm

Purple Flake and Spring Lilys are on the girlie side.

Another selection of patterns:

http://www.splashgraphicswtp.com/patterns.asp

I found these with Google, look up "water transfer gun"

Lots of ideas here but I think I don't want to do it myself. I'd rather pay someone to do it so I can complain if they screw it up, lol!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Lots of ideas here but I think I don't want to do it myself. I'd rather pay someone to do it so I can complain if they screw it up, lol!

Get the parts, color them the way you want them, then throw everything in a box and take it to our very own Clandestine. Chad is a gunsmith and does great work.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    You guys are GREAT!!! So a walking library of information! I took your suggestion and went to look at the Cerakote website. Turns out that the guy who does it here in my town (and who knew there was even such a guy!) is probably the father of one of my former students!!!

Muddy Girl, here I come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom