• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not to say that that Ceracote isn't a durable finish , available in a modest number of colors , but DuraCoat has got many hundreds of colors to choose.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Cerakote is a bit more durable that Durakote. And both more so than K-kote.

But they are all good.

Heck, you can do it with Rustoleum rattle cans from Home Depot or Lowes. And change it as your mood changes. :)

Or match your nails. :)

I can say that, as one time my wife matched her nails to her car for an event. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    CeraCote has ceramic particles added , and is stronger in the absolute sense. DuraCoat is slightly more flexible, and if properly prepped first is less likely to chip, and is still plenty durable. Cera has several dozen colors ,with substantal portion being closely related shades of black , silver , and bronze. Dura must have close to a thousand colors , of all spectrums of the rainbow , including exact matches for popular factory firearm finishes , every accesorry mfg , every obscure camo colors both mil and hunting , and several tractors.

Rattle can spray paint and BBQ grill paint actually do well , so long as you realize they do wear , and need touchup. But then at $4.95 a can you can touch up often.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Cerakote is a bit more durable that Durakote. And both more so than K-kote.

But they are all good.

Heck, you can do it with Rustoleum rattle cans from Home Depot or Lowes. And change it as your mood changes. :)

Or match your nails. :)

I can say that, as one time my wife matched her nails to her car for an event. :)

Okay....she painted her car to match her nails? Really?

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    CeraCote has ceramic particles added , and is stronger in the absolute sense. DuraCoat is slightly more flexible, and if properly prepped first is less likely to chip, and is still plenty durable. Cera has several dozen colors ,with substantal portion being closely related shades of black , silver , and bronze. Dura must have close to a thousand colors , of all spectrums of the rainbow , including exact matches for popular factory firearm finishes , every accesorry mfg , every obscure camo colors both mil and hunting , and several tractors.

Rattle can spray paint and BBQ grill paint actually do well , so long as you realize they do wear , and need touchup. But then at $4.95 a can you can touch up often.

So it's really just a matter of finding a "guy" who can do the pattern I want for Dura or Cera cote?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you check Dura Coats website they have listings of certified applicators of both Basic , and for Advanced (typically comples camo patterns , but the skill set would be for any complex , multi color project).

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Dammit! I go away for a weekend and miss Andi asking AR questions. Grrrrr!

The only thing that I have to add that hasn't been covered at length is this:

If you're not doing your own build, buy your rifle, shoot it some, and then tweak the ergonomics to fit you. (Stock, grip, forward grip, etc.) Once you get it suited to you ergonomically, then get it all prettied up with whatever finish you choose.

But that's just me, and I'm a "function before form" kinda guy.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Dammit! I go away for a weekend and miss Andi asking AR questions. Grrrrr!

The only thing that I have to add that hasn't been covered at length is this:

If you're not doing your own build, buy your rifle, shoot it some, and then tweak the ergonomics to fit you. (Stock, grip, forward grip, etc.) Once you get it suited to you ergonomically, then get it all prettied up with whatever finish you choose.

But that's just me, and I'm a "function before form" kinda guy.

LMAO, Ben!

I can tweak the ergonomics at any point, right? The point of being able to build my own (or have someone build for me) is so that I can tweak it at any time, yes?

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    LMAO, Ben!

I can tweak the ergonomics at any point, right? The point of being able to build my own (or have someone build for me) is so that I can tweak it at any time, yes?

Absolutely. But in my (limited) experience, you're far more likely to ding up a rifle while you're getting used to it, swapping out parts, etc. It just seems to me to be a good idea to get that out of the way before you put your nice finish on it.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Absolutely. But in my (limited) experience, you're far more likely to ding up a rifle while you're getting used to it, swapping out parts, etc. It just seems to me to be a good idea to get that out of the way before you put your nice finish on it.

Makes total sense to me!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Of course, the other side is, if you mess something up, it gives you an excuse to change the color/scheme. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom