• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I find it hard to believe Hogan would push to do anything more to restrict our rights. Brown has been pounding the gun control drum hard and Hogan has to placate voters on the issue, since it's one of the few inflammatory issues that might increase turnout for Brown.

But saying SB-281 "doesn't go far enough" is going too far. I am willing to tolerate some spin but am rather disgusted at that statement. And now of course Brown is using it to his advantage and accusing Hogan of flip-flopping.

I think Hogan was specifically referring to expanding background checks and Maryland reporting to NICS. He wasn't referring to gun bans or restrictions.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I find it hard to believe Hogan would push to do anything more to restrict our rights. Brown has been pounding the gun control drum hard and Hogan has to placate voters on the issue, since it's one of the few inflammatory issues that might increase turnout for Brown.

But saying SB-281 "doesn't go far enough" is going too far. I am willing to tolerate some spin but am rather disgusted at that statement. And now of course Brown is using it to his advantage and accusing Hogan of flip-flopping.

If I had to put a nickel down, it would be that there is more coming to this comment, regarding specific items the 2A community wanted in FSA13 and didn't get.

Most of us know what they are, and speculating here won't help a bit.

/threadjack

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I positively know what Brown will try to do, out infringe OweMalley (and out tax, regulate, giveaway, etc). Anything less than that gets my vote.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    With Chief Justice John Roberts presiding over the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals and with a 5-4 vote, the Roberts bench showed that 2nd Amendment rights extends from federal law into State and city limits.

If they use the SC's decision from 2010, a decision to throw it back down to the lower courts for better clarification could be in order or they could uphold the 2010 language in the SC and force repeal of SB281.

I'm not a lawyer or expert; I only play one on TV.

Source: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/supreme-court-holds-2nd-amendment-applies-to-the-states/

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    With Chief Justice John Roberts presiding over the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals and with a 5-4 vote, the Roberts bench showed that 2nd Amendment rights extends from federal law into State and city limits.

If they use the SC's decision from 2010, a decision to throw it back down to the lower courts for better clarification could be in order or they could uphold the 2010 language in the SC and force repeal of SB281.

I'm not a lawyer or expert; I only play one on TV.

Source: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/supreme-court-holds-2nd-amendment-applies-to-the-states/

Justice Roberts is the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS, not the 4th Circuit. The 4th Circuit is only slightly less liberal than Karl Marx, so .... There is literally a 0.4% chance that the 4th Circuit reverses Judge "I Make a up My Own Facts". It might object to her factual "findings" and send it back down to her for more fact finding, but to think that the 4th Circuit is going to repeal SB281 is like that saying ... If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. And to hope that the SCOTUS is going to take up a plain vanilla assault weapons/high cap magazine law is just as crazy. It ain't going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Plaintiffs have filed their Opening Brief, dated Tuesday 11/4. 2A & 10A arguments, the 10A being retired LEO exemptions from enforcement of the Act.

Mr Sweeney makes a good case IMHO of identifying "protected arms" being those in common use, carrying that down to AR's, AK's and standard capacity magazines.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Kolbe_26.pdf
      1.3 MB · Views: 187

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just out of curiousity ... does the election impact this lawsuit ? And will the case be renamed Kolbe vs. Hogan ???

Hogan will have hire a special lawyer, to keep Frosh out of the mix.

That twist would make this case even more interesting :D

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Having an architect of the challenged law acting as counsel defending the law....that would be interesting but probably won't happen.

To the contrary, that is exactly what will happen. There is no conflict. Don't forget that the AG is a separately elected official from the Gov.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    No precedent/requirement for recusal? I personally would love to have the "rookie" appellate attorney go against Sweeney...

Nope. Why would he be recused? Certainly not because he helped pass a law that the State is now defending. No conflict of interest there. But, I doubt that Frosh would do the argument. Appellate argument calls for a unique skill set, plainly not his forte. He would be wise to to let senior counsel in his office handle argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom