• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    My Wideners P38 came in. Nice looking. Big ass import mark but its on the front strap, so not as noticeable. Separate thread coming...

Did you post your thread yet? I could not find it but was interested since my P38 should be arriving today. If I can get to the house to sign for it.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I totally missed that one.
    I've been searching on both the proper and the mispelled (there is no U in Colombia)
    colombian
    columbian

here are some shots of it.. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
      unnamed (2).jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 406
    • unnamed.jpg
      unnamed.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 413

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    What the wha?

Stellar packing job. :tdown:

Yeah the packing Job didnt help, but ive had others packed the same way using two boxes and didnt have the issues that i seem to have with the UPS folks that get me packages to this location VS my old location. Back in Jan they broke another rifle in half that was packed very well.
    however as bad as this one looks, at least this one survived. Last two pics show why im looking for a Butt plate, its rather big for this gun, i took it off and i seen that someone added this one as there was a third hole in the butt under the buttplate. However even with this little issue. It has a shiny bore, nice crest, no cracks and came with a bayo(yugo) for 250.00 shipped.. I couldnt beat it. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0996.JPG
      IMG_0996.JPG
      58.4 KB · Views: 398
    • IMG_0997.JPG
      IMG_0997.JPG
      64.9 KB · Views: 417
    • IMG_1005.JPG
      IMG_1005.JPG
      61.8 KB · Views: 401
    • IMG_1007.JPG
      IMG_1007.JPG
      58.7 KB · Views: 384
    • IMG_1008.JPG
      IMG_1008.JPG
      50.8 KB · Views: 392
    • IMG_1014.JPG
      IMG_1014.JPG
      74 KB · Views: 386
    • IMG_1010.JPG
      IMG_1010.JPG
      63.1 KB · Views: 316
    • IMG_1012.JPG
      IMG_1012.JPG
      36.5 KB · Views: 320
    • IMG_1015.JPG
      IMG_1015.JPG
      90.1 KB · Views: 404

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    oldcarjunkie,
    I like that crest. That's more important to me than a good bore on a Colombian Mauser. If you get tired with it, keep me in mind.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    oldcarjunkie,
    I like that crest. That's more important to me than a good bore on a Colombian Mauser. If you get tired with it, keep me in mind.

I will but i doubt this one will be leaving. I had one years ago that i sold and have been wanting a nice one since. This one is in such good shape i doubt i would find another as good. the bore is nice and shiny and the bullet test shows lots of life left. Under the wood is not severely pitted like most SA mausers. I got very lucky with this one.

This was the old one, had a bunch of pitting under the wood(all solid though, nothing through). No crest and lots of repairs to the wood over the years. The new one is a great upgrade over the old.

Attachments

• IMG_3742.JPG
      IMG_3742.JPG
      63 KB · Views: 387
    • IMG_4199.JPG
      IMG_4199.JPG
      48.3 KB · Views: 391
    • IMG_4200.JPG
      IMG_4200.JPG
      65.1 KB · Views: 402
    • IMG_3721.JPG
      IMG_3721.JPG
      48.9 KB · Views: 398
    • IMG_3722.JPG
      IMG_3722.JPG
      45.2 KB · Views: 396

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    FedEx dropped of a package for me today. It was the Wideners P-38 with original markings and listed as Great Shape? Mine came with brown grips and although I don't know a lot about this pistol and it is getting late, I thought I would post a few pics. It is marked AC 43, would that indicate Walther 1943?

It came generically packed in bubble wrap and was loose in the box. It has a light coat of oil but looks to be in perfect shape. It looks like the slide and frame are both marked WaA 359

Jul 1, 2012
    FedEx dropped of a package for me today. It was the Wideners P-38 with original markings and listed as Great Shape? Mine came with brown grips and although I don't know a lot about this pistol and it is getting late, I thought I would post a few pics. It is marked AC 43, would that indicate Walther 1943?

It came generically packed in bubble wrap and was loose in the box. It has a light coat of oil but looks to be in perfect shape. It looks like the slide and frame are both marked WaA 359

Well, the slide at least is from the end of 1943 - n is the letter code for December (and AC is the Walther code).
    Unfortunate that it's mismatched because the "one-line" AC43 is actually a bit uncommon, only made 2 months.
    Most AC43 are "stacked" with the AC over 43 next to the P38.
    (E/359 is acceptance stamp used at Walther).

More than likely the frame is also off an AC43 (or possibly AC44).
    Although covered with goo the grips look pretty nice.
    Don't use Hoppes or other chemicals on the grips.
    Wipe em off as best as you can and then gently clean with some Dawn or other dishwashing liquid.
    How is the magazine marked?
    If it's a nice original war-era mag, that and the grips are $250+
    Since it's a mixmaster you may want to recoup some cost by selling the grips and putting some repros on instead - which will be much more robust.

The grips may be post-war Russian and if that's the case not worth a lot.
    Post up the markings on the back of the grips or PM me and we'll figure it out.

Jul 1, 2012
    Is there a difference in the OD of the barrels on P38 vs. a P1? The P38 barrels always look thinner.

I think it's more war-era vs. post-war.
    On left is a 1960's Manurhin P1, on right is a 1942 Mauser.
    You can see the Mauser is indeed thinner by a few thousandths.
    It probably started out the same but was milled down more.
    Spot-checked against a few other WW2 P.38's and they are basically the same.

I only have one post-war P38 and it seems to be in-between OD's - but it's a high-polish gun and not a good comparison.
    I'd say unless otherwise proved that the post-war P1 and post-war P38 are identical.
    The reason (I believe) for the larger OD is that the post-war P1/P38 has a barrel sleeve insert, whereas the WW2 guns were one solid piece.

Attachments

• DSC_9247.jpg
      DSC_9247.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 262

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Well, the slide at least is from the end of 1943 - n is the letter code for December (and AC is the Walther code).
    Unfortunate that it's mismatched because the "one-line" AC43 is actually a bit uncommon, only made 2 months.
    Most AC43 are "stacked" with the AC over 43 next to the P38.
    (E/359 is acceptance stamp used at Walther).

More than likely the frame is also off an AC43 (or possibly AC44). The frame was originally marked 4870F and have been stamped over with an X
    Although covered with goo the grips look pretty nice.
    Don't use Hoppes or other chemicals on the grips.
    Wipe em off as best as you can and then gently clean with some Dawn or other dishwashing liquid.
    How is the magazine marked? The mag is marked with P.38v which I believe may be late 43 or early 44. It also has the e/359 single stamp on the spine

If it's a nice original war-era mag, that and the grips are $250+
    Since it's a mixmaster you may want to recoup some cost by selling the grips and putting some repros on instead - which will be much more robust.

The grips may be post-war Russian and if that's the case not worth a lot.
    Post up the markings on the back of the grips or PM me and we'll figure it out.
    Here is a pic of the back side of the grips

Jul 1, 2012
    The grips look original to as well as the Mag. somd_mustangs I am sure will have more info though based on your pics....

Oh yeah baby, the grips are early-war AEG's and have the Waffenamt (and one is numbered) so off an early Walther, probably late AC40 or early AC41.
    Invaluable to a guy needing a numbered grip "967" :)
    I would seriously consider selling or trading those grips to a collector if they don't have any chips or cracks.

Mag is Walther as speculated, used in 1943 and 1944 (ac43, ac44).

Good stuff.

oh yeah, for folks getting these, for the love of xxx don't tighten the grip screw more than finger tight.
    if it came with an original WW2 grip set, get a set of repros or post-war P1 grips for $20-30 to go shooting, and preserve those originals.
    They are real fragile and a split second inattention will crack 'em (setting down on the bench too hard, etc), or even shooting can crack them.

Nice original grips are $100-150 (or more depending on what they are) and a collector would be happy to have them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey