Job Description for a " Computer Secretary " ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don’t know but I think you were preset to hat it. Lol. With a tablet recording, mixing and editing would literally be like an old school recording device/mixing device on the screen of a tablet. It would be just moving your fingers on the buttons and dials on a digital touchscreen. The whole screen is a finger pad. The whole screen is a click button. If you want a joy stick, I believe any ps5 controller or even an Xbox joystick would work with an iPad.

Apps have changed a lot over the years. But I dont know what you were using. There is always limitations and some stuff I pad apps are not capable of doing. But 90+% of home use, iPad probably does it the same if not better. I am not an iPad fan boy.

Apple is better than Samsung tablet on screen brightness and quality. After a learning curve on a tablet, I don’t think you ll ever go back. Lol. But getting over that learning curve does suck.

I prefer windows over Mac.

The instructor was an interesting guy
    Was just starting out as a Recording Studio Intern during the last gasp of Analog . So he actually knows proper dynamics and authentic sounds ..... For his personal hobby projects . As long as they pay his hourly rate , he'll give the clients / their labels what they want .

He was All Pro Tools , All the Time .

And in class it all made sense , potentially easy, with possibilities to get deeper on purpose if you wanted .

On his console , already set up and tweaked , with his plethora of short cuts programmed in .

Me . New to me blank laptop . Free Student version of P.T. , having to set up and configure ? Staring and mumbling .

At the time ,one of the things inducing me to try some evil fruit , was all the common information was all about " The Garage Band that comes with the Evil Fruit , isn't pro quality , but very simple for dummies .

Annnnd, there was lag time , and my new to me Evil Fruit , was just new enough to not have G.B ..And inquiries to Evil Fruit dealers just got either blank looks or don't bug me , go do it yourself .

Conclusion- Live sound mixing in real time would be more. Feasable . Or at least semi- comprehensible for dummies .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Have you considered looking into a community college course on basic computer skills?

Strange that you ask ! Back the few years ago , I did look into it , and there's a huge gap .

Classes for 86 year olds who have literally never been in the same room with a computer , to get them from absolute zero to my level , ✔ !

Classes for all them people who know a bunch on normal levels to get professional certidications , ✔ !

For someone with 2% skill level , to get to 20% skill level ? Nothing , total vacuum .

Either Comm Coll , public libraries , or for profit .

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Strange that you ask ! Back the few years ago , I did look into it , and there's a huge gap .

Classes for 86 year olds who have literally never been in the same room with a computer , to get them from absolute zero to my level , ✔ !

Classes for all them people who know a bunch on normal levels to get professional certidications , ✔ !

For someone with 2% skill level , to get to 20% skill level ? Nothing , total vacuum .

Either Comm Coll , public libraries , or for profit .
    Now we are getting somewhere. My dad is your age and figured out many things on computers from about age 70+. Not only that, but dealing with places in society that help seniors with tons of stuff like mobility, food, home maintenance etc.

Where do you live?

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My thinking is something along the lines of how he made contacts to the Balto Co dept if Aging. Great resources there. I would put in a call to them and if you are not in Bmore county, ask if they know if counterparts in your locale that are the equivalent that you can reach out to.

Last edited:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Biggfoot,

Just give us the list numbering start at 1.

1. I want to accomplish this with computer.
    2. I want to this with computer.
    3. I want to...

Then we can translate them to the list of actions that you can do with computer or alternative.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Biggfoot,

3. I want to...

Then we can translate them to the list of actions that you can do with computer or alternative.
    I've been communicating with him over PM and he hasn't answered this question yet.

The initial post sounded like a job ad, like he ran a business and wanted an occasional computer help. I am looking for this type of work as a consultant. I want to help small businesses with their computer systems and business processes.

My offer of Value-for-value services still stand to him or anyone: If you need something related to business process improvement or IT then please PM me and I'll try my best.

Otherwise if you can't describe your problem then I can't help you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Biggfoot,

3. I want to...

Knowing Ignorance . I know that I don't know the specifics of what I don't know .

I don't really want to be a computer dude , for the sake of being a computer dude . And I know I am logarithmically behind the curve , and it's advancing away from me faster than I could catch up .

I just want unavoidable crap that now has to be done online only , done , and done right . I've burned myself guessing over my head , getting it wrong and having adverse consequences . I've had things I used to be able to handle " improve their system " and stump me .

Ok , here's the immeadate problem needs handling .

Have W&C in hand . Have hunting revolver sitting at my friend's gun store . The Freaking MSP website won't let me create an account , to subsequently apply for HQL .

I don't want to be ******* to my friend already going above and beyond for me .

Opening Offer - $ 50 for anyone take my W&C info , etc , and get me applied for the " Free , No Hassle HQL" by Saturday . Otherwise , Plan B will see a Super Blackhawk Hunter in the Classifieds Wednesday .

$ 50 not enough ? Cool , hit back counter . This one time , saving face to my friends > $ . Other than saving face , I'd just take it as a sign to continue refusing to get an HQL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was able to read the website , and the supposed directions . After following the supposed directions - It Just Don't Work ! Leaving a seeming dead end .

Obviously , since other people claim to have done it ( and I can't dispute ) , there's some secret nerd handshake I don't know .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This is the core of the problem. When you say “doesn’t work,” what do you mean? Do you get a message saying you’ve left something blank and can’t proceed? Does it say you’re done but you’re not seeing an expected email? What actually happens? Being observant and communicating the details is everything in getting over these minor bumps.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Went back MSI website .
    Reviewed it again.
    Yup , it's substantially the same as the latest HQL brochure , that I distribute by the stack .
    And the process therein is the same as I have been Teaching countless people .

But for * Me * , it just don't work . Major cognitive dissonance , which is getting me fired up here . But knowing it's Cognitive Dissonance doesn't change anything .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    But for * Me * , it just don't work. Major cognitive dissonance , which is getting me fired up here.
    Not cognitive dissonance. Try writing it down:

1) "I did [whichever step]"
    2) "Then [X] happened and I couldn't go to the next step. The pop-up message on the screen said [whatever]"

Without passing along what's getting you hung up, it's impossible to sense a pattern of the kinds of things you're really dealing with as your broader roadblocks. If you can conquer just one of the simple things you think you can't do, it might inspire you to use the same techniques to spot what's holding up other basic things you've given up on doing. Try describing the last step of the HQL account process that you actually completed, and what (specifically! write it down! pass it along here!) happens when you try to go to the next step. Get used to noting the details, because I guarantee that all of your travails are just you not noting the details. It's not about "computers," it's about slowing down and not getting frustrated, and noting the details. And you'll solve the problem or get abundant help so you can see how to not get bogged down.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is the core of the problem. When you say “doesn’t work,” what do you mean? Do you get a message saying you’ve left something blank and can’t proceed? Does it say you’re done but you’re not seeing an expected email? What actually happens? Being observant and communicating the details is everything in getting over these minor bumps.

None of the above .

At the create account part , I'll complete it , and click .

It will spin around for couple minutes , and just go blank and erase everything .

No message of " dummy you forgot something " , or " your submission has been sent " . Nor email with " click the link to activate your account " .

Even I could have followed those .

Everything I try to do , just vaporizes without sending .

No , it's not my device . Still sends and recieves emails , do online orders , whatever .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Which device? Have you tried using a different web browser on the same device? Like, of it’s made by Apple and you’re using the default Safari browser, maybe add the Chrome browser and use that instead. Are you using that same device and browser right now as you use this web site?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I alternate , usually using my hand me down device still ticking , and occasionally my " Good " one that I mostly reserve for Important Business . Both Androids , both OEM Chrome . ( Run both from a pocket hot spot for internet )

Mr Sparkle was old when Mrs Biggfoot had to replace it when CDMA went away , but Mr Sparkle keeps on chugging along on Wi-Fi . " Good One " was the most expensive ' Droid sold close to 2 yrs ago , and comparative " low millage " .

For the W&C , HQL , LTC , work and professional stuff , use " Good one " , routine recreational internet on Sparkle .

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    To solve the immediate problem, I propose the following:

PM me a specific time Wednesday morning (1 Nov) from 8 to 10 AM and I will call you. I'll take your information in real time, live over the phone, set up your account, and get your HQL. [If proposed time frame won't work for you, let me know what will.]

I might have some ideas for other things, but that will take a week or two of research.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd be really careful giving complete strangers full access to your PC... especially since you're not knowledgeable about stuff.

Missed this one at the time .

The good thing about being self aware of Luddite- Ness , is not putting sensitive stuff on them in the first place .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom