Job Description for a " Computer Secretary " ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Serious , not a joke .

I an a mostly computer illiterate Luddite . Seriously , beyond posting on Gun Boards I'm stumped. It's been coming on for a couple years , but as so called progress marches on , the gap has now become a total disconnect . And in recent years " thinking " I could do it , and it actually was screwed up has Seriously bit me on the butt .

In society's downward spiral , too many important/ mandatory things are computer only , with no physical reality alternatives. After one more even worse occurrence of seemingly following supposedly simple and intuitive direction and process , no matter what I do , crap just vaporizes into the nether , disappearing without doing anything or going anywhere . Like twilight zone s*** .

I know my Limitations. I wouldn't try to rebuild my own automatic transmission, or perform vascular surgery on myself . I'd engage a Pro , for whom it's simple with hardly a thought .

But I don't know the terminology to describe what I seek .

***************************>

I need guaranteed once a year important stuff , plus maybe a couple more randomly throughout the year .

Asking people just gets me blank looks . I'm beyond my tolerance of begging friends . I'm thru with groveling to superiors. I just want an on call consultant/ administrative aide / technician/ whatever they would be called pro . Perform a service without showing pity on the stupid backwards client .

Retainer / flat rate for service / hourly / combination , whatever is semi customary.

When I contact established outfits of suitable field, and ask " Do you offer ( something something services ) what do I ask for , that they would comprehend ?

If I initiate an open request for freelancer , how do I describe what I need . I know that " Do computer S*** for me " is not helpful or constructive.

Are there any industry standard descriptions of phrases ? Logically there had to be .

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Are you looking for someone to:
    Assist with computer questions
    Provide / ensure updates to your machine(s) - operating system and other
    Provide assistance with configurations and backups
    Perform PM, scans, etc
    Administer home network firewalls and system configs
    Other general computer Support as needed (printers and other peripherals)

OR
    Is it more administrative - or Word PowerPoint etc

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    We will atleast need some examples of what you want done. After reading that I am still confused as to what you need.
    I work in the IT field but I have no idea what your asking for

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    don't know if this helps but one of my Engineers set up teamviewer (a software program for remote access) to remotely control his mom's computer to help her out from time to time so he did not have to drive over there. So long as she has internet, he can help her. I wonder if there is a service like that where someone on the other end helps you out.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    don't know if this helps but one of my Engineers set up teamviewer (a software program for remote access) to remotely control his mom's computer to help her out from time to time so he did not have to drive over there. So long as she has internet, he can help her. I wonder if there is a service like that where someone on the other end helps you out.
    There is nothing wrong with TeamViewer. But that is typically what the "Microsoft Support" scammers have people install when they get have a gullible target on the phone.

I've used that and a similar programs to help family members. Chrome Remote Desktop was convenient, although I know people equate Google with Big Brother.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Serious , not a joke .

I an a mostly computer illiterate Luddite . Seriously , beyond posting on Gun Boards I'm stumped. It's been coming on for a couple years , but as so called progress marches on , the gap has now become a total disconnect . And in recent years " thinking " I could do it , and it actually was screwed up has Seriously bit me on the butt .

In society's downward spiral , too many important/ mandatory things are computer only , with no physical reality alternatives. After one more even worse occurrence of seemingly following supposedly simple and intuitive direction and process , no matter what I do , crap just vaporizes into the nether , disappearing without doing anything or going anywhere . Like twilight zone s*** .

I know my Limitations. I wouldn't try to rebuild my own automatic transmission, or perform vascular surgery on myself . I'd engage a Pro , for whom it's simple with hardly a thought .

I need guaranteed once a year important stuff , plus maybe a couple more randomly throughout the year .

Asking people just gets me blank looks . I'm beyond my tolerance of begging friends . I'm thru with groveling to superiors. I just want an on call consultant/ administrative aide / technician/ whatever they would be called pro . Perform a service without showing pity on the stupid backwards client .

Retainer / flat rate for service / hourly / combination , whatever is semi customary.

When I contact established outfits of suitable field, and ask " Do you offer ( something something services ) what do I ask for , that they would comprehend ?

If I initiate an open request for freelancer , how do I describe what I need . I know that " Do computer S*** for me " is not helpful or constructive.

Are there any industry standard descriptions of phrases ? Logically there had to be .

First off, Biggfoot44,

Your first post is super scattered as I read it. AND I am pretty good at puzzles.
    Can you be more specific in the types of "computer" usage tasks you need help with?

I saw the secretary part in your title. Now let's narrow things down a bit.

So, do you need an I.T./tech/software type person, or bookkeeping, spread sheets, Word processing ( Document writing), Clerical stuff like sorting your work. home, records, expenses, bills etc in order or what?

I did see you say this, "
    I just want an on call consultant/ administrative aide / technician/ whatever they would be called pro . Perform a service without showing pity on the stupid backwards client ."

What exactly is the Hired gun needed to do?

Maybe this will help us suggest some things.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Are you looking for someone to:
    Assist with computer questions
    Provide / ensure updates to your machine(s) - operating system and other
    Provide assistance with configurations and backups
    Perform PM, scans, etc
    Administer home network firewalls and system configs
    Other general computer Support as needed (printers and other peripherals)

OR
    Is it more administrative - or Word PowerPoint etc

We will atleast need some examples of what you want done. After reading that I am still confused as to what you need.
    I work in the IT field but I have no idea what your asking for
    Yup, it seems the consensus, Initial message was a bit confusing,.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Secretary is racist, please use "right wing, trump loving, dem hating administrative assistant".

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    What Bigfoot wrote I can relate to from helping my mother out. My interpretation is he needs general assistance with taking care of online tasks that a lot of us would consider somewhat basic, no offense to Bigfoot. He is asking if there are companies or a position title that relates to that.

If I may, he is looking for a professional version of a call-as-needed, paid younger relative that is computer savvy that can assist him with online forms, tasks and whatnot when he encounters errors or problems.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I wonder if the time and money wouldn’t be better spent getting some solid remedial pointers on whatever hurdle is keeping the OP from doing these routine things. Having seen his posts over the years it does seem to be conceptual and not skills/technical/practical. Helping him over that hump would be very liberating.

To go with Bigfoot’s own analogy, this should be more like teaching someone to use a modern car to run errands, not service a transmission. He’s looking for someone to run errands (use a web browser to fill in forms, etc) for him. I’m not picking on the OP, truly. But I think he’s talked himself into thinking there’s no way to get over this self imposed hump. If he gets help, it’s either someone to operate a web browser for him on clerical matters indefinitely into the future, or someone to watch closely and figure out exactly where the conceptual roadblock is as he throws up his hands in frustration, and solve that just the one time.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    I have many friends and family that complain they have computer issues. I often joke find an 8 year old and they can help in a second. It is said in jest but typically quite true. If not sensitive information ask a kid to help.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Serious , not a joke .

I was born n raised in computers. First computer (dads old one) was an apple 2 when I was like 4.

Maybe I could help you either learn and be free or provide services. Where do you live. I helped my... ADD mother learn how to do everything.

I'd be really careful giving complete strangers full access to your PC... especially since you're not knowledgeable about stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom