• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    He's not interested in insurance. His interest is to raise the expense of owning firearms to the point where it becomes unsustainable.

He's waiting for the next big outburst of insanity to push it through. The mainstream media will assist and provide, as ever.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    i think his interest is pandering to the lobbyists who donate money to his campaign to get re-elected. I don't think he gives a rats ass about anything other than Jamie Raskin, limousine liberal from Montgomery County.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    “It’s likely this won’t come back again until, god forbid, the next huge round of spectacular gun violence and we summon the momentum to act again,” Raskin said.

That's worth noting, too. Not sure the MD legislature really wants to go for another round on gun control this session.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Agreed. They will want to close the "loopholes" in 281. They will want to be as tough as NY or CA. They will want an ammo tax. After all, it's for the children.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    That's worth noting, too. Not sure the MD legislature really wants to go for another round on gun control this session.

they will-- they have many lame ducks with little to lose.. and if we are busy fighting them it draws off attention and resources from the 2014 fight ad the courts. They think they win on gun control -- and until we get traction -- tehy do..

I would not count on them being so stupid as to leave us alone and let us build strength.

There is more but not on an open forum

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    He's not interested in insurance. His interest is to raise the expense of owning firearms to the point where it becomes unsustainable.

He's waiting for the next big outburst of insanity to push it through. The mainstream media will assist and provide, as ever.

Right -- but insurance would be very cheep --- and the NRA will sponsor it for members so this bill will direct funds directly to his opposition-- he knows it.

The rate of gun violence from non criminal sources is so low it would just be a mandatory contribution to the NRA - he will figure that out eventually. :)

Frankly I am more worried about forcing it as a rider on existing insurance -- that would be a state set fee and would force us out of the state-- that is is goal.

Make no mistake we had better start figuring out how to raise funds on an industrial scale ... litigation is not cheep.

Of course I still think the 2014 crime wave in Montgomery county will help us out... :)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    “It’s likely this won’t come back again until, god forbid, the next huge round of spectacular gun violence and we summon the momentum to act again,” Raskin said.

That's a strange choice of wording, even for an idiot Democrat :sad20:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It is going to be either an all-out push, or a whole lot of nothing.

In either case, we have to be ready with real pressure.

I'd like to see an offensive this time. Go after G&S, chip away at some of this other BS. Let them defend their position for a change.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well... there's the quote I just posted there, with Raskin saying how they don't really have the political capital to do so. I don't really see the political advantage to saying "we're weak and not going to do anything" unless it's actually true and he's setting expectations.

There's also the fact that they couldn't get this stuff done last time (compare original SB281 to SB281 as enrolled), and it's not clear that their political position is any stronger. If anything, it may be somewhat weaker, given that elections are coming up. Some of these guys outside the DC and Baltimore area took major political risks to vote for SB281 - the payback they're going to want is to avoid it in election year.

There is more but not on an open forum
    Yes, there's fear and paranoia, but I'm not quite there yet. As for magic sources of insider knowledge, I'll believe it when I see it.

I am not saying there's no danger; I am saying that they only managed to pass a very watered-down bill after waving the newly bloody flag of what was the most horrific gun-related mass casualty event in decades. That doesn't really strike me as total dominance by any means. Arguably, it turned into face saving after Vallario gutted the thing.

I'd like to see an offensive this time. Go after G&S, chip away at some of this other BS. Let them defend their position for a change.
    This is basically the political equivalent of masturbation. Feels good, doesn't really accomplish anything. We can spend our resources more wisely.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    erwos, I respect your opinion and your views here. That said, they passed an AWB, a magazine capacity restriction and the license. No, they didn't punch in the touchdown but in my view they just drove 99 yards and still have the ball.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    erwos, I respect your opinion and your views here. That said, they passed an AWB, a magazine capacity restriction and the license. No, they didn't punch in the touchdown but in my view they just drove 99 yards and still have the ball.

That's the problem. They ALWAYS have the ball and we ALWAYS seem to be defending inside the 5 yard line.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I understand what you're saying. I agree that what happened last session was pretty awful (although, arguably, the MSP interpretations of the law are doing worse damage to us than the law really did). But the context of how it happened most certainly has an impact as to what happens this session. That's why I am somewhat less paranoid about our chances. It's not just what happened, it's how it happened.

That's the problem. They ALWAYS have the ball and we ALWAYS seem to be defending inside the 5 yard line.
    Unless you can propose a way to drive the ball enough to actually get a first down, going on the offensive at Annapolis is nonsensical. We played an OK defensive game given the opposition; we got absolutely nowhere on our proposals. We might be able to play better defense next year, but the offense is still looking pretty horrible. Face up to the reality of our position: we are not going to succeed on the offense. There is no chance with the current legislature. If you feel differently, please spin us a believable story of how it could happen.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    people better register to vote and vote in both the primaries and general. Don't complain that the choices suck, just vote. Its shameful the stories I heard about the emails and letters coming from people not registered to vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom